Regearing Question 3.07 to 4.56 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Regearing Question 3.07 to 4.56

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
dadlife
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Regearing Question 3.07 to 4.56

So I have the dreaded 3.07 gears and I need to swap them out. I was hoping to have a few more dollars to help aid with lockers. For now I need to regear. My question is do I have to change just the carrier when going from 3.07 to 4.56 our the housing as well? I have the Dana 30 and Dana 35. Who should I support when buying them? Meaning do you have a website/friend or know of where I can buy them. I do have a few shops around here. Only one of the shops seems to have any idea of regearing. So I will only use one shop. Thanks for any advice.

dadlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Axle housing does not change.

Have whatever shop you are using buy the gears so they warranty them. If you provide they are unlikely to warranty and will blame the gears if any issues arise.
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
wrangler28655

yea youll need a carrier with the 30 theyre to small for the 30 carrier with 3.07 gears i think it splits at 3.54
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-129...r-3-73-up.html i love working with these guys there awesome
dont waste your money on the 35 get yourself a 8.8 or 44
wrangler28655 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Axle housing does not change.

Have whatever shop you are using buy the gear so they warranty them. If you provide they are unlikely to warranty and will blame the gears if any issues arise.
x2... This is very important. Always have the shop supply all the necessary parts for a R&P change.

Do you really want to spend that type of money on a D35?
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
dadlife
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to upgrade the rear axle, however I cant find any around here. Apparently in Louisville we have 7-8 salvage yards and not one of them have a jeep wrangler. I would love to buy one already built, but I cant afford that just yet. I plan on doing the regear myself. Thanks @wrangler28655 for the website info. Anyone have any parts they are willing to sell?
dadlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You will enjoy the new gears, I went to 4:56 myself. Dont forget to pick up a new speedo gear too. As mentioned, you need new carriers for the front and rear also.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.