Regearing Limited slip questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Regearing Limited slip questions

Introducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comBlack Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHut

Unread 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Regearing Limited slip questions

I've been saving up and am close to re-gearing my 5 speed 6 cyl from 3.73 to

4.56 gears. I running 33x12.5 duratracs

I wanted to install truetracs front and rear. but for my use rear only could be fine. I want to have this done once and done right

My jeep is basically a street Jeep that's used in the snow/ice with some beach and logging trail use

Questions are;
a/Are trutracs front and rear overkill for my use?
b/As I understand I do not need to buy new carriers if I go the trutrac route correct?
c/I have a D30 front and and 44 rear If I don't go trutrac I understand I only need to but a new rear carrier. Is this correct.
d/ Should I have the inner axle seals replaced too?

I found a shop that will re-gear for 300 for the rear and 375 for the front.
if I supply the parts. I know it's best to have the shop supply but this shop comes highly recommend.

Thanks

ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
dakman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You will have to buy new carriers, they are the truetracs. Yes you should have the inner seals replced. True tracks front and rear would work great in snow, ice, beach, and trails.

Mark
dakman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

A. I don't think front and rear TrueTracs would be overkill.
B. Correct, no new carriers needed if you buy TrueTrac limited slip diffs.
C. Instead of a new rear carrier, another option is to use thick cut gears. You could keep your existing carrier and use that with thick cut 4.56 gears.
D. Yes
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just got off the phone with a shop that advised me that I would be over geared if I go to 4.56. He said he has done this for others and the were very unhappy.
He also said not to believe what you read in the forums. Funny everybody in the forums have said 4.56 is perfect for my rig. Everything I've read indicates 4.56 is the way to go.

This came from an off road shop in my area. I've called about 7 shops for estimates and that's the first time I've heard this.
His price was high too!
Unread 03-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufatbastehd View Post
His price was high too!
Tell him you want the option of a free regear if you follow his advice and are not satisfied.
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Tell him you want the option of a free regear if you follow his advice and are not satisfied.
Good one.
I'm not going to deal with this shop in any way
Actually he told me if he does it and I'm not happy with it there is no going back
Unread 03-30-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

4.56's, and 33's, with a 5 speed, is the perfect setup. 4.10 is a little weak, 4.88 is a little deep. if he says thats wrong, he is the wrong guy to do the regear!
look for spicer gears, and timken bearings for the regear. dont buy your own parts, let them supply them! if they wont warranty the work leave!
it will be a new jeep after u re-gear. you will love it!
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Personally I'd go 4.88's, it would give you the option of running 35's later, and in the meantime there is an approximate 170 rpm difference, in 5th gear at 65.
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
OP, if you spend more time in the forum you'll find a variety of preferences about gearing. Shops differ in how stringently they have to account for their time, so many of them can't offer a re-do if your preferences turn out to differ from the norm.

In the past, I've found the front Truetrac makes a single banging noise when it engages. I read somewhere that it's attributable to the differing lengths of the front axle shafts. That banging noise is actually a good thing, because tapping the brake pedal helps to engage the Truetrac, and the banging noise let's you know that it's engaged. I guess that noise from the front is a reason to install Truetrac in the rear, as well (you'll know they're both engaged).

Yesterday, I was wheeling in 4-HI and did not hear the banging noise from the front Truetrac. I wonder if the noise only occurs in the low range?
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
BorderTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine_Cat
OP, if you spend more time in the forum you'll find a variety of preferences about gearing. Shops differ in how stringently they have to account for their time, so many of them can't offer a re-do if your preferences turn out to differ from the norm. In the past, I've found the front Truetrac makes a single banging noise when it engages. I read somewhere that it's attributable to the differing lengths of the front axle shafts. That banging noise is actually a good thing, because tapping the brake pedal helps to engage the Truetrac, and the banging noise let's you know that it's engaged. I guess that noise from the front is a reason to install Truetrac in the rear, as well (you'll know they're both engaged). Yesterday, I was wheeling in 4-HI and did not hear the banging noise from the front Truetrac. I wonder if the noise only occurs in the low range?
I could be wrong but I don't think the TrueTrac makes any noise.
BorderTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
FarmerinVA
Just a flatlander

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderTJ View Post

I could be wrong but I don't think the TrueTrac makes any noise.
It's certainly noiseless in the back. And due to the design, it isn't the TrueTrac that's banging in the front, either, although it may be something that goes along with knowing the front axle is fully engaged. I'm curious to see what this is about.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ex...hafts-1234745/
FarmerinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
gregstudeny
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just got front and rear TT installed. I haven't noticed any noises.
gregstudeny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I have the TrueTracs in the front and rear and they are silent
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #14
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Back when I was trying to decide on a front traction device, I found an article by a University of Northwestern Ohio instructor who indicated that front Truetracs make a single banging noise when they engage because the front axle shafts are of different lengths. Now I can't find that article using different search terms, which is always frustrating, especially since it had been so easy to find a couple years ago.

Apparently, the Truetrac gears are not always engaged, but they can be encouraged to engage with a single tap on the brake pedal. This matched up with my experience when I first had the Truetrac installed. In slippery conditions, I would have to tap the brake pedal, and then I would hear the single bang from up front, and then feel the extra pull from the front axle. Initially, I was dismayed by the single bang upon engagement, but eventually I realized that it was helpful because it let me know when I applied enough brake to engage the Truetrac. It's only a single bang because then the Truetrac gears are engaged.

This experience was mostly on 29" tires. I wonder if there's something about larger tires that causes the Truetrac to be engaged all the time, so you don't hear the bang? Eaton did indicate a sensitivity to tire size. Back in the day, they did not recommend Truetrac for larger than 33" tires. However, a few years ago they revised that to 38" notwithstanding the unit's sensitivity to tire size.
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OP, not only replace the seals but buy "master install" kits for both axles.
You may have been planning on this but I didn't see you list it.
images.jpg

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.