Is a regear worth the money? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Is a regear worth the money?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
Bmann412
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Is a regear worth the money?

I have a 1998 2.5l with 3.73 gears and 33x12.5 km2's (auto transmission) I have been told that I should regear to 4.56. Would I notice a diffrence with this change because the only time I notice my jeep being slow is on the highway. Would a regear help with acceleration? This is mainly my dd and will be driving to college every day so would a regear help with mpg? Sorry for so many questions but it seems like a lot of money for something I might not notice.

Bmann412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In my opinion it depends on how long you plan to keep it. Re-gearing can be expensive ( +/- $1100 ) but it does help. Personally I would go with 4.88s, not 4.56. For a daily driver it makes sense but that amount of money put in is not worth it if you plan on getting rid of it soon. As a long term investment I say it is definitely worth it. I say this as I am still trying to scrape the money together to do this myself!
ll , [______] ,
l --- l_ -OllllllllO-

( )_) ( )_)--o-)_)

Low Output 4-Cylinder Jeep Club Member#91
IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Bmann412
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRED
In my opinion it depends on how long you plan to keep it. Re-gearing can be expensive ( +/- $1100 ) but it does help. Personally I would go with 4.88s, not 4.56. For a daily driver it makes sense but that amount of money put in is not worth it if you plan on getting rid of it soon. As a long term investment I say it is definitely worth it. I say this as I am still trying to scrape the money together to do this myself!
why would u go with 4.88?
Bmann412 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
why would u go with 4.88?
Because with your 4 cylinder and auto it would be a better combo than 4.56.

Sent from my XT881 using JeepForum
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

In order to get the overall gear ration back to stock-ish, you'd need to go to 4.88's or very close to it. The 4.56 ratio would still be under geared.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If he had an OD then 4.88 would be the correct choice. But he doesn't so 4.56 is the correct choice with 33" tires.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Will you see an increase in mileage? Not enough to ever cover the cost of the gears.

Are you sure you have 3.73 gears? If you really do, you could always pull a set of axles from a manual 4 cylinder TJ. They've got 4.10 gears and while that's not perfectly ideal, it would be an improvement and would likely be much cheaper than new gears in your current axles.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Regearing is the best way to get an immediate MAJOR improvement in performance after installing big tires.

For 33" tires, 2.5L engine and your 3-speed automatic, you want 4.56 gearing in your axles. For others with the 5-speed, 4.88 would be the way to go with the 2.5L engine but your 3-speed automatic transmission doesn't have an Overdrive so 4.56 is definitely the appropriate/best ratio.

The dramatic improvement in power and highway performance after installing 4.56 gearing will put a big grin on your face.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Re-gearing is most definitely worth the money... Nothing else you can do to that engine will give you the same bang for buck on the butt dyno, and overall driveability of the Jeep. And then, anything you do in future to increase the output will still benefit from the gearing.

Only reason not to do it would be if you plan on swapping out the axles.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
TJMistress
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't have the same setup as you but it with a 4.0 and manual I was running around in 4th gear on the freeway getting 11-13 mpg. Getting 16-17 with 4:56. I'm comfortably cruising at 65 around 2400 rpm now in 5th. Best money I spent.
TJMistress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I also geared my 2.5 manual to 4:88... running 33" tires and have a decent amount if power. Very happy I did the swap! Cost me around 500.00 all new bearings seals and gears. Oh and I went ahead and threw in a powertrax no slip locker up front while I had it apart. No ill effects from the locker. Can't even tell its in there till you put it in 4X4.

If you have jack stands....a wrenching know-how....and access to a dial torque wrench, then time and the internet will be all you really need. Many write-ups and tips to help u get thru it. Oh and access to a press...yeah u will need that!

Its really not that hard to do...especially if you are using the same carriers.

If you decided to DIY, pm me with any questions and I will try and help.
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If he had an OD then 4.88 would be the correct choice. But he doesn't so 4.56 is the correct choice with 33" tires.

Is it worth it? Absolutely. Will you see an increase in mileage? Not enough to ever cover the cost of the gears.

Are you sure you have 3.73 gears? If you really do, you could always pull a set of axles from a manual 4 cylinder TJ. They've got 4.10 gears and while that's not perfectly ideal, it would be an improvement and would likely be much cheaper than new gears in your current axles.
The 2.5Ls with the 30rh had 3.73s. I used to have the same setup

Op: I had that setup with 31s...good luck..mine couldn't get out of it's own way with that setup

I'd go with 4.56, if I were in your position, or get some take offs with 4.10s

Fwiw, even with my 4.6L, I kind of wish I had gone to 4.10 when I put in my 8.8

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A 4cyl and 33s brings so much suck on the highway id take as much gear as I could get.

My friend Kelly did 4.56s and 33s on her auto 4 cyl and she was still in the right lane with the big trucks on long hills. I'd want all the gear I could get. And the lightest wheels I could get.

Of course that rig was eventually painted pink and hammered on for crawl to cure cancer...
Unread 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
LiveAndLearn
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 6cyl, came with 3.07 D30/35. I payed a friend 1500 to swap axles with him before he took his jeep and sold it to the dealership. It had D44/D30 with 4.88, chromoly 33 spline shafts, and detroit lockers. This was by far the best investment I have ever made in my jeep.
1997 TJ - 4.25 lift, 4.88, D30 w/ Detroit, D44 w/ Superior'ed Detroit and 33 spline shafts, Currie track bar, Warn XD9000i, Currie Tire Carrier, full armor and tube fenders, full custom trunk, Tom Woods shafts, AA SYE, Currie control arms, and Rigid lights. BIG BLACK is my baby.
LiveAndLearn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.