Refreshing OEM suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Refreshing OEM suspension

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 02-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Refreshing OEM suspension

I'm starting to get a little wear and tear at 75k miles, and thinking of rebuilding my suspension. I drive 90% pavement, with only occasional woods trail riding. No crawling or mudding except what is in the woods here. I have 100% stock and all original suspension, including the shocks, and want to freshen it up for the next 70k. I'm thinking new oem track bars and all 8 arms, with Bilstein 5100 shocks. The steering appears to be tight, with the only play being about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in the bushing end of the front track bar. Ball joints also look good. Any thoughts, suggestions? Sway bar bushes have already been replaced.

Unread 02-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
bonza
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got 31" tires and a 2" lift and recently at a similar mileage to you replaced track bar, tie rod ends and drag link with Crown components which made an amazing difference to the bit of mild DW I was occasionally getting. previous to that I had replaced the track bar bushing and repaired the wallowed out track bar bolt hole where it connects to the axle, but that didnt improve things much so I think some of the wear and slop was in the tie rod ends. last week spent a lot of time travelling over some rough trails and it was apparent that the suspension was tired as suffered from shock fade, so now have just finished replacing the original shockers with Old Man Emu N66 and N67 and am amazed at the ride quality. the Heep feels like brand new again. was considering the Bilsteins, but selected the OEM shocks being local to me. next I'll be renewing the steering dampener probably with an OMESD40 unit. also removed the control arms and inspected the bolts and bushings and all good there so left them alone
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
OsteKuste

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking of maybe replacing the front track bar, and I just talked (pm) with Kolak, and he is going to help with a great deal on a set of Bilstein 5100s. I'm sure my original shocks are a bit tired. The rest of my control arms really don't seem too bad. I may just try this first, as I don't really have any major issues. The suspension just feels a bit soft/sluggish. I don't quite know how else to say, it just doesn't feel like it used to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.