Recommendations for a replacement engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Recommendations for a replacement engine?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
zboy421

Recommendations for a replacement engine?

I've had my jeep for 3 years now, and this morning, I believe I cracked a piston head, there is a loud ticking noise, and concentrated gray smoke comes out the tailpipe.

I am interested in buying a new or rebuilt engine. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go and what to get? Currently it has an inline 4cyl, and I'd like to beef it up to a V6. I am not a motor-head to say the least, and therefore I am very unfamiliar with the process of purchasing and installing a new engine. Are there requirements I should be looking for?

A friend of mine has a totaled 97 Dodge 1500 with a V8 5.7L Magnum, could that engine fit my needs?

I'd greatly appreciate any help....

zboy421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Gonewhln
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you or someone have the know how then yes the 5.7 will fit but there is a lot of work involved.
You should check out this web site further and check Jp magazine for a write up on this and check out www.burnsvilleoffroad.com they have been doing these engine swaps for years.
Gonewhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy421 View Post
I've had my jeep for 3 years now, and this morning, I believe I cracked a piston head, there is a loud ticking noise, and concentrated gray smoke comes out the tailpipe.

I am interested in buying a new or rebuilt engine. Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to go and what to get? Currently it has an inline 4cyl, and I'd like to beef it up to a V6. I am not a motor-head to say the least, and therefore I am very unfamiliar with the process of purchasing and installing a new engine. Are there requirements I should be looking for?

A friend of mine has a totaled 97 Dodge 1500 with a V8 5.7L Magnum, could that engine fit my needs?

I'd greatly appreciate any help....

Motor swaps with a fuel injected, non-original motor are difficult and time consuming. If you cannot do it yourself, it will cost thousands and can easily reach $10,000 or more.

A '97 Dodge would have a 5.2 or a 5.9.

The 5.7 Hemi in Dodge trucks came along in '02 or '03.

You can fit practically any motor in the TJ engine bay.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Madeoflite
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Did you mean 5.2L magnum? I just finished my swap and evan at burnsville offroad knows his stuff. Its a fairly easy swap also
Madeoflite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine , engine replacement , replacement

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.