Recently aquired tj, a bittersweet moment. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Recently aquired tj, a bittersweet moment.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 06-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Flaggdog
1979 CJ7 

Recently aquired tj, a bittersweet moment.

Hello all, I'll try to keep this upbeat as possible, but I'm still hurting here so bear wih me. I recently buried one of my best freinds this weekend. He was on his way to my home when he had an accident on the highway, and rolled his rubicon several times, resulting in a terrible loss. His brother, knew how close we was, and decided to sell me his other jeep, I got it home, and as much as my friend knew how happy I would be to have a good tj in my garage for free (I paid 1$ for it) I would see it crushed and melted for just one more day with him. It's too soon. Ok, thats enough of that. I've got to wait awhile before it's legal in my name so I want to change the fluids, clean her up a bit, get her road ready so my wife can have it. His fuel gauge never has worked right, from all the searching I've done on this wonderfull forum, it seems most people's gauge problems can be fixed by cleaning the terminal on the gauge cluster, I'm fine with doing this, but I need to know if its worth dropping the tank, replacing the sending unit also. If this 99 tj does not have a sending unit in the tank, don't flame me, I'm a CJ guy. Any help or kind words are greatly appreciated. thanks.

Flaggdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your friend.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Truly sorry for your loss, things like that just plain suck..

The fuel gauge might just be loose/corroded terminal connections for the cluster. If it were me I would try pulling out the cluster first and put a slight twist on all I think 15 pins in the back of it to make them get a better connection to the harness. You can get to it by popping out the defroster vent thing in top middle of dash (by windshield), removing the few screws on top of instrument cluster under them, taking out the knee panel and the few screws up there as well. Then the gauge cluster screws itself if memory serves. You'll see the harness I'm talking about once you get it apart, just put a degree or so twist on each one of those blades and maybe spray with wd-40 and shove it back together. It's probably a 30 min job if you take your time and would be tons easier than pulling the tank to get to the sender itself.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
OpeyTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

sorry for your loss man, and good luck with the new toy.
OpeyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.