Receiver hitch hoist - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Receiver hitch hoist

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 08-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
doc_floyd

Receiver hitch hoist

Has any member utilized a receiver hitch hoist as a tool to winch a tire back onto the tire carrier studs? Getting a tire off that weighs 100lbs is bad enough, but getting one back on is difficult - for two little old 75 year-old folk, when the temps are 100 degree plus. I have noticed there are some lightweight game hoists that fit a receiver hitch which might be modified so as to work, and wondered if anybody has run across such?

... all equipment normally needed for Houston traffic
doc_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I can't think of such a product, but something like this might make the lifting easier:

At least you only lift the tire a little, attach it to the carrier, then you would have good leverage and a good handhold to pivot it up the rest of the way.

Edit: Or, when you're anticipating a flat simply fly me from the barren, frozen wasteland of Canada in wintertime to Texas and I will gladly enjoy some warm temperatures, southern hospitality and porter your tire around for you. I'll need about 2 weeks notice.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
doc_floyd

Jim Barth of Rockhard just called to say that he had had customers who used ratchet straps attached to his rock rack, to pull it straight up -- that is also an option (and I appreciated his personal call). He said the rack would easily handle the load. That would add but 35 lbs. to the vehicle, also.

... all equipment normally needed for Houston traffic
doc_floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Airstreamer67
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I use a game hoist inserted in a 2-inch receiver in both the front and back. It works very well for deer which weigh maybe 200 pounds or so. It has a hand winch for the lifting duties.

I suppose it could be adapted for lifting a tire. Certainly, the weight wouldn't be a problem. Since the hoist would be in the rear receiver, the door would need to be open to hoist the spare on the carrier. If I had to use it for such, I bet I could.

Of course, I'm only 70...:-)
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

An inflatable ARB X-Jack claims to lift up to 31"...

My 05 LJ has a 3.5" spring lift and a WARN tire carrier with the equivalent of a 33" tire on it. A rough measurement from the ground to the bottom of the spare tire is just shy of 30".

Is your spare currently on your Jeep? How about measuring from the ground to the bottom of the tire?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.