Rebuilt Transmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilt Transmission

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rebuilt Transmission

Hey guys. I just got my jeep back yesterday after some open heart surgery to the tune of a new clutch, transmission rebuild, and rear end rebuild. I told the shop (unfortunately after the fact) about the incorrect information in the manual about what fluid to run in the transmission and he said they put what the book called for, GL5. Prior to the rebuild, it was very hard to shift into the gears with the recommended fluid so I was told to use ATF. After the fluid change, it shifted as smooth as could be. The transmission did need all of the synchronizers replaced but with the GL5 in it, it's shifting extremely hard again. What are the symptoms or results of incorrectly running the GL5 fluid? Does it fit the hard shifting symptoms I'm having? I knew the ATF was just a band aid and now that the tranny is rebuilt, I don't want to go that dramatic of a fluid. Any recommendations to ease getting into the gears? Is it normal to have some stiffness after a rebuild that will decrease as it breaks in? Thanks for the help.

b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

From what ive come to understand GL5 gear lube shouldnt be used in the ax-15 because it tends to eat the synchros.
Most people(including me) will suggest using Redline Mt-90.
My tranny has a "crunchy" 2nd gear and I decided it would be a good idea to do a fluid change. When I did I actually performed a side by side comparison with regular Lucas 75-90w gear oil on accident.
The lucas just felt really very heavy in the tranny, took 8 or so tries to get it into gear, when i got that out and put in Redline MT-90 it got much easier to get into gear.
Its not a fix all but it is what gets generally recommended for the ax-15.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've read about the redline on here and its nice to hear a positive review for a situation similar to mine. Thanks.
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.