Rebuilding tranny in 2000 TJ (3 speed auto) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuilding tranny in 2000 TJ (3 speed auto)

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Lammy

2014 JK Wrangler 

Rebuilding tranny in 2000 TJ (3 speed auto)

Are there any upgrades out there that I can do to my 3 speed auto? Will probably be a total rebuild and I want to beef it up. All input is welcome (including swaps, etc..)

Application is a 2000 TJ 4.0, dana 30/44 combo, 33" m/t.

Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
ijiti
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How are you rebuilding it? I have to mine as well most likely, and i'm dreading it.
Blue Jeep Club Member #303

2000 Jeep Wrangler I6
31/10.50/15 SS TRXUS MT
ijiti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The mopar deep pan is a nice upgrade - part # P4007886. Its about $50 from the dealer.

If you wheel where its wet, definitely relocate the vent. Here's how:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...48#post4211448
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
Lammy

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am having it done by a transmision place but I am wanting to throw some more stuff on there. I already have the skyjacker deep tranny pan. Anything else I can do besides relocating the vent? I'm looking for stronger internals, etc.
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can get kevlar clutches.

A shift kit or custom valve body work to make it shift firmer will also extend the life of the tranny.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels, upgrade your valve body, relocate the breather, either on the tail shaft or above the torque converter.Also like mentioned a deep pan, a trans cooler.There's a lot you can do but it isn't that cheap! I've done it to mine and what a difference!Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
ijiti
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How much did they qoute you for it?
Blue Jeep Club Member #303

2000 Jeep Wrangler I6
31/10.50/15 SS TRXUS MT
ijiti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I never got a quote it was a referral from a mechanic friend of mine at the 4x4 shop I deal with. I just said make it bulletproof! I paid $2600.00 for it.That was with the r&r of the transmission and throwing in a new rear main seal on motor!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Trans shop can give you a few ideas. Lot of times they have option to put higher quality parts in it for very little extra money. But you will find a few crooks that will say they put them in and charge you for them or charge you ALOT for the upgrades stuff. Even though it takes the same work to do the rebuild. I got a real good buddy that does all my trans work and he always tells me what needs to be done and what I can get away with not doing. I will get you his number and you can ask him. He is as honest as they come.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.