Rebuild Kit for a 2000 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rebuild Kit for a 2000 4.0L

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
shadygator
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rebuild Kit for a 2000 4.0L

I recently blew the motor up in my 2000 4.0L Wrangler. I actually threw a rod through the block. (I'm getting a motor from junkyard). So a friend of mine wants to rebuild it for me, instead of buying a remanufactured motor from a parts store.

Has anyone done this? Suggestions? He also mentioned working the head, putting a different cam in it too. Honing the block. I guess Im looking for links to websites for the parts. Basically needing to be stirred in the right direction.

Then I was told there are different motors for a 2000 4.0L? Some years won't work with other particular models, years, can someone fill me in on this.

shadygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Kracka00
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadygator View Post
I recently blew the motor up in my 2000 4.0L Wrangler. I actually threw a rod through the block. (I'm getting a motor from junkyard). So a friend of mine wants to rebuild it for me, instead of buying a remanufactured motor from a parts store.

Has anyone done this? Suggestions? He also mentioned working the head, putting a different cam in it too. Honing the block. I guess Im looking for links to websites for the parts. Basically needing to be stirred in the right direction.

Then I was told there are different motors for a 2000 4.0L? Some years won't work with other particular models, years, can someone fill me in on this.
If you find a nice low mileage 4.0 you may be able to get away with just rebuilding the top end of the motor i. e. valve train, maybe throw in a better performing Cam and some aftermarket rocker arms and push rods to give you a few more untapped ponies (obviously providing the crank/rod bearing clearences are within spec on the donor motor)

However, unless your friend has a flow bench and he REALLY knows how to port and polish heads properly... you may just end up making the cylinder head perform worse than it was stock.
Kracka00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stroke it!

check out jeepstrokers.com
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUOa...ature=youtu.be

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often
George Dickel is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.