Rear View Mirror with Compass and Temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear View Mirror with Compass and Temp

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear View Mirror with Compass and Temp

I was thinking about putting a auto-dimming Rear View Mirror with the compass and the temp in my 2004 Sport. How hard is this to do. A buddy of mine says all jeeps are pre-wired for it and there are connectors behind the radio, is this true?

Thanks in advance

Unread 03-24-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
tractionhunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would also like to know.
tractionhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Michael_K

I installed the compass mirror on my 98. I added aftermarket stuff in it so it absolutely had nothing that I could use.

Hardest part was to fish the wires through the windshield frame. I believe new TJs have the plastic surrounds around the windshield making the wire hiding much easier. If that is the case, even if the mirror is not factory add on, I can't imaging it being hard to do.

Look behind the top center plastic windshield bezel and see if you have any wiring or pig tail.

Michael K.
Unread 03-24-2008, 11:27 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportTJ4x4 View Post
I was thinking about putting a auto-dimming Rear View Mirror with the compass and the temp in my 2004 Sport. How hard is this to do. A buddy of mine says all jeeps are pre-wired for it and there are connectors behind the radio, is this true?

Thanks in advance
You're most likely pre-wired. The mirror comes with a harness to connect to the connector underneath the defroster vent cover on the passenger side and then behind the plastic molding around the windshield on the passenger side over to the mirror. The thermocouple plugs into an existing harness behind your grill on the driver's side.

If you're not pre-wired, you just have to run the wires manually.. still not hard seeing as you have the plastic to hide the wires so you don't have to fish them through the frame.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
ShinySideUp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportTJ4x4 View Post

Thanks in advance
Where are you buying your mirror? Are you getting OEM or aftermarket?

Is there a "[B]Black Jeep [/B]Club?"

[URL="http://www.militaryjeepers.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]militaryjeepers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] [SIZE="4"]club member #254[/SIZE]

Unread 03-25-2008, 10:28 AM   #6
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would imagine you will need an OEM mirror to use the harness if you do have it. It's probably a whole lot cheaper to buy an after market one. They come with all the wiring and sensors. The only thing you should need to tap into the jeep's wiring for is power. You'll just need to install the temp sensor/probe where the directions say to.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thanks guys. I looked under the top cover and I am pre-wired. Heres my next question do i need to run wiring for power?

Thanks for your help so far
Unread 03-25-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is all you need...http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Code=Wrangler8
power comes from plugging this kit into existing harness like Rocky said. I installed mine about 6 months ago and it took all of like half an hour.
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
DezDiggler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This looks pretty cool and very easy. But OMFG. $300 Tell me that there are cheaper ways to get one of these. Say ebay???
Unread 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezDiggler View Post
This looks pretty cool and very easy. But OMFG. $300 Tell me that there are cheaper ways to get one of these. Say ebay???
You wanna take advantage of the fact that you're pre-wired, you pay the $300 for the plug and play convenience.

If you're not fortunate enough to be pre-wired, then here's a $200 approach that involves a bit more work

http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 Sport is prewired.
But I don't see the point .. I just rely on my GPS to tell me where I am, and my nipples to tell how cold it is
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM   #12
GADave
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikahn View Post
This is all you need...http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Code=Wrangler8
power comes from plugging this kit into existing harness like Rocky said. I installed mine about 6 months ago and it took all of like half an hour.

Anybody know the original Mopar Part # for this mirror kit? I can't seem to find it with a web search.
GADave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
DezDiggler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
You wanna take advantage of the fact that you're pre-wired, you pay the $300 for the plug and play convenience.

If you're not fortunate enough to be pre-wired, then here's a $200 approach that involves a bit more work

http://www.oman4x4.com/mirror.htm
True. But what I was thinking was along the lines of cross reference. Same offered in Liberty, or other Chrysler vehicles. Possibly something that can be found in salvage yards and whatnot.
Unread 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADave View Post
Anybody know the original Mopar Part # for this mirror kit? I can't seem to find it with a web search.
O.k. I had to look around for my receipt as I bought it at my local dealer. Parts numbers are as follows: mirror # 55156197AB $240.00, wiring # 56047087AC $26.68, sensor # 56042395 $30.50. Total $297.48+ $14.87 tax= $312.35 As far as I know this is not sold as a complete kit through Chrysler according to the parts manager at my local dealer. I showed him jeepsareus.com's price and he pretty much matched it.
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #15
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered my '06 TJ with this. Out in the woods and can't tell what direction you are headed? I love it! It's helped me more then once to figure out what trail I am on.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.