Rear track bar relocation bracket mounting. Cut hole in tub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear track bar relocation bracket mounting. Cut hole in tub?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rear track bar relocation bracket mounting. Cut hole in tub?

The slacker that installed my lift never properly mounted the relocation bracket. Instead of using 3 bolts as directed he used just 1.

Now the bracket is bent and I'm not sure if it would be affecting my death wobble (as it is the back) but should be replaced.

I've got a replacement bracket, but without the ability or knowledge of how to lift the body to get where I need to. I need to drill a mount hole for one of the bolts. Am I crazy consider putting a hole in the tub to get at it?

Instructions http://www.tuffcountry.com/NewFiles/44900.pdf

call for me to:"
Install the new rear track bar bracket over the stock track bar bracket and secure using stock hardware and new anti crush sleeve into stock location. Using the bracket as a guide, drill a 5/16" hole in the bottom and the top of the stock track bar bracket. Secure using 5/16" by 1" bolt and hardware."

But no way I can fit a drill in to top of the bracket (even with a modest body lift)

Any ideas? I don't really want a hole in the tub but I'm not sure what my options are that don't involve paying somebody a bunch of cash.

SolidBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The bracket goes on the axle. What could possibly be in the way?
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
RUkered
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No need to cut into the body. When I did mine, we jacked the Jeep up as far as we could and put jack stands under the frame rails and let the axle droop (we were putting my lift on at the same time). If I remember correctly, I believe we may have had the driver(?) side control arm loose to allow for a little more droop.

In order to fit the drill in, I went to a local hardware store and picked up one of those 90 degree attachments for my drill. Like this one:
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Images...NAP_ASA_00.JPG

With the axle drooped and, most importantly, with that attachment, we had just enough room to drill that trackbar mount hole.

Last edited by RUkered; 07-15-2010 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: subpar spelling
RUkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
If it were easy the guy who installed it might have done correctly.

To drill a hole in the top of the bracket the drill points straight up and down.(there is no room for a drill between the axle and the body. So maybe the 90 degree attachments for my drill will work.
rearbar.jpg  

Last edited by SolidBrass; 07-15-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Unread 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me26 View Post
no BL + shorter lift shocks + relocation bracket = dent in tub floor. yes the bracket compresses that far into the frame at full compression without bumpstop extensions or longer shocks to stop it. it can also pinch or destroy brake lines in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
Any ideas? I don't really want a hole in the tub but I'm not sure what my options are that don't involve paying somebody a bunch of cash.
the bracket has nothing to do with your DW.

you don't need to buy a new bracket. you just need to remove the one you have, pound it into shape with an anvil and BFH until it fits properly. you then need to either bolt it on with new hardware, or better yet, weld it on, and shape/weld a piece of angle iron from the mount to the axle tube for reinforcement. mudb8 has some nice rear track bar reinforcement brackets...search em. for drilling those holes, you need to remove the springs, remove the shocks and get the axle to max droop. you will find a 90 degree drill helps a bunch.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Or you could put jackstands under the frame and then remove the shocks, rear TB, driveshaft, and upper control arms from the axle side brackets, remove the rear springs and swivel the whole thing 90 degrees.

I just drilled mine while I had the axle out.

It is now welded on in several places as well, guess I will see how it holds up. A brace isn't a bad idea......
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundlitefan View Post
Or you could put jackstands under the frame and then remove the shocks, rear TB, driveshaft, and upper control arms from the axle side brackets, remove the rear springs and swivel the whole thing 90 degrees.
That doesn't sound to hard (kidding) But these are all good suggestions. Thanks
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That doesn't sound to hard (kidding) But these are all good suggestions. Thanks
To be honest, after doing a few things like that on the rear axle I will either pull the whole axle or disconnect everything like I said above. Trying to ram a drill with a cheap 90 degree adapter on it between the tub and the trackbar bracket with the Jeep on jackstands and the axle at droop (for which you need to detach the track bar and shocks anyway) while sitting crunched up under the skid plate sounds about as fun as lung cancer.

Pulling a rear axle basically consists of removing 11 bolts, your e-brake cable and your rear brake lines. That might be a little overly simplistic, and it takes some effort, but I sure wouldn't call it hard.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
mitchrb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

right angle drill attachment

Hi, When I lifted mine. I had to purchase a right angle drill attachment. I Think I got mine at Home Depot.
mitchrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rent or borrow an angle drill.Oh and you don't get "Death wobble" in the rear.Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just have it welded on. Nothing to worry about after that and you do not even have to remove a single bolt.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ha the d44 housing I bought came brand new with the holes already there...

I ditched the track bar bracket and went with an adjustable. But did run the stock trackbar with a bracket prior. I did have to drill the stock d35 when I lifted it. We had the trackbar (obviously) and the shocks disconnected there was plenty of room to drill the hole.
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #13
WV-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I took a drill bit and broke it off to make it really short. Then I had no problem getting the drill in there. It may also make a difference on the size drill you have.
WV-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
SolidBrass
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered this... 18 Volt 3/8" Cordless Right Angle Drill

should do the job... hope hope
image_2001.jpg  
Unread 11-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
MauiTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidBrass View Post
I ordered this... 18 Volt 3/8" Cordless Right Angle Drill

should do the job... hope hope
interested to see how this panned out
MauiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
track bar , rear , trac bar , bracket , bent , broken , fix , replace , replacing , help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.