Rear Track Bar Issue - Repair / Upgrade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Track Bar Issue - Repair / Upgrade?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-15-2006, 01:45 AM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Track Bar Issue - Repair / Upgrade?

On the last wheel'n trip a severe rattling / clanking devleoped from my rear passenger area on the TJ. After inspecting things it looks like it's the upper rear track-bar bushing that has failed. The bushing is no longer centered on the bolt but instead about 1/2" out of "alignment".

The setup as it now is (critical items):
  • 2" suspension lift
  • SYE / CV drishaft installed with Belly-Up skid plate
  • Rear axle rotated to accomodate CV driveshaft (equivalent to a 4" lift)
At the time I installed the SYE/ CV driveshaft I did not install a rear trackbar bracket to take into account the rotated angle figuring I might get away with it. Turns out I was wrong and now have a failed bushing to contend with.

At this point I have a few options for replacement:
  1. Replace the stock trackbar with a new one and install the propper bracket on the axle. This is probably the cheapest option.
  2. Get an adjustable aftermarket trackbar.

What is the best route to go? I'm looking for something that is very durable and will work with a 2" lift. I DO NOT plan to lift the TJ any higher than it now is.

If I get a relocation bracket that corrects for the angle how necessary is it to weld and brace the stock lower track bar mount on the rear axle? I've heard they have a tendency to tear over time.

Does anybody have any experience with the Nth Degree rear track park bracket?

Are there aftermarket track bars that can account for the rotated axle angle? If so, are they thin enough (no larger than stock) to clear the gas tank?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Unread 05-15-2006, 02:14 AM   #2
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest getting a JKS trackbar which is adj. and very stout,and put a RE1602 trac bar bracket on...it bolts on and you wont have to weld it. This should take care of your problem about hitting the gas tank as well as the rotated pinion angle. Its what i have on my rig, and I run OME 2.5 springs, and 35"s....just my .02.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
Muddeprived

With my 2.5" lift, I used the old man emu trackbar bracket with teraflex adjustable rear trackbar. With the sye/cv and tilted axle, this combo works perfectly. I've had this on for 2 1/2 years so far and haven't had any issues whatsoever. Nothing hits or comes loose. Summitracing.com sells replacement bushings for the tera bar so it can be used forever. I paid $156 for my rear trackbar from 4wd.com and $22 for the OME bracket.

Don't bother replacing the bushing on the stocker cuz it'll just go again at that angle.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that it would be good to correct for the angle of the axle. I think there are some brackets that take that into account right? I'll check into the RE bracket and the OME.

I've hear, however, that there can be problems with the "bolt on" brackets tearing off the stock mounting location on the axle because of too much leverage. Is there a consensus on this? Is it common or is it rare? This is why I was wondering if I should beef up the stock mount by welding some extra plates on there so that when I bolt on the bracket the mounting point will be solid.
Unread 05-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking that it would be good to correct for the angle of the axle. I think there are some brackets that take that into account right? I'll check into the RE bracket and the OME.

I've hear, however, that there can be problems with the "bolt on" brackets tearing off the stock mounting location on the axle because of too much leverage. Is there a consensus on this? Is it common or is it rare? This is why I was wondering if I should beef up the stock mount by welding some extra plates on there so that when I bolt on the bracket the mounting point will be solid.
I very much doubt you'll ever tear off the bracket, unless you are running REALLY heavy tires, like 40's that would pull the axle down enough to snap. Side tire impacts could do this but something will give anyways. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a trackbar bracket since i started wheeling jeeps back in 97.

You don't really have to fix the angle of the axle. For instance, if you get the tera bar, it can twist and turn so when you put the passenger side on, the driver's side can twist to the angle (the twisting is for adjustment in length) so it should bolt right up with no issues whatsoever. Same goes for most adjustable trackbars out there. The bracket you choose (ome or RE's CV bracket) depends on how much of an angle your axle is. Mine's not tilted SEVERELY enough for the tera bar to come close to the tank (it's 1" away) so i can get away with the OME bracket which is straight. If you have a big lift and your pinion angle is greater, you'll probably want to opt for the RE's CV Bracket which is angled to decrease the angle fo the driver's side trackbar mount.

From what i see in your sig., you will be just fine with any adjustable trackbar and a regular trackbar relocation bracket with your setup.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=196

Check this out, the first bracket is angled, which is the cv bracket, and this will correct the angle of the trackbar bracket some. This is good for severely tilted axles. The 2nd one is a regular bracket that raises the mount straight up, which is what i'm using right now (ome's is the same).

$70 is ridiculously expensive for the brackets. I've seen them for $30-$50 elsewhere.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
UCTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived
I very much doubt you'll ever tear off the bracket, unless you are running REALLY heavy tires, like 40's that would pull the axle down enough to snap. Side tire impacts could do this but something will give anyways. I haven't heard of anyone breaking a trackbar bracket since i started wheeling jeeps back in 97.

You don't really have to fix the angle of the axle. For instance, if you get the tera bar, it can twist and turn so when you put the passenger side on, the driver's side can twist to the angle (the twisting is for adjustment in length) so it should bolt right up with no issues whatsoever. Same goes for most adjustable trackbars out there. The bracket you choose (ome or RE's CV bracket) depends on how much of an angle your axle is. Mine's not tilted SEVERELY enough for the tera bar to come close to the tank (it's 1" away) so i can get away with the OME bracket which is straight. If you have a big lift and your pinion angle is greater, you'll probably want to opt for the RE's CV Bracket which is angled to decrease the angle fo the driver's side trackbar mount.

From what i see in your sig., you will be just fine with any adjustable trackbar and a regular trackbar relocation bracket with your setup.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynami...p?folderid=196

Check this out, the first bracket is angled, which is the cv bracket, and this will correct the angle of the trackbar bracket some. This is good for severely tilted axles. The 2nd one is a regular bracket that raises the mount straight up, which is what i'm using right now (ome's is the same).

$70 is ridiculously expensive for the brackets. I've seen them for $30-$50 elsewhere.

Thats the bracket I was talking about and have the RE1602...it bolts on with two different bolts and is pretty stout. Check with DC4WD for a cheaper price, and it will get your axle rotated correctly.
UCTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.