• 1 Post By mrblaine
  • 1 Post By mrblaine
  • 1 Post By JEK3

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rear track bar bolt axle side question

Probably been asked, but search isn't my friend today. I'm looking for a source for the rear track bar bolt, axle side to get rid of the stripped torx head bolt in there now. Problem is, the only thing locally in M12 1.75 x 80 in grade 8.8 or above is all thread, I cannot find any with the stock 1/2" shoulder.

So, two questions - how important is that shoulder, and does anyone know a source for that bolt....

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-12-2017, 10:28 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Find a Fastenal store or their website. That's where I bought that same bolt in July when I replaced the rear track bar and bracket.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Find a Fastenal store or their website. That's where I bought that same bolt in July when I replaced the rear track bar and bracket.
Ah, thanks. There is a store nearby, I had no idea. Thanks for the heads-up.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 08:12 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
Probably been asked, but search isn't my friend today. I'm looking for a source for the rear track bar bolt, axle side to get rid of the stripped torx head bolt in there now. Problem is, the only thing locally in M12 1.75 x 80 in grade 8.8 or above is all thread, I cannot find any with the stock 1/2" shoulder.

So, two questions - how important is that shoulder, and does anyone know a source for that bolt....

Thanks!
The fully threaded bolt is called a tap bolt. It won't hurt a thing to run a tap bolt in that application. It also won't hurt to run one with a bit of unthreaded shank. Both work the same all other things being equal.
rbaucom7266 likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for that insight, much appreciated.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For the layman, could you explain when a shoulder is necessary, and why? Is it strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The fully threaded bolt is called a tap bolt. It won't hurt a thing to run a tap bolt in that application. It also won't hurt to run one with a bit of unthreaded shank. Both work the same all other things being equal.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For the layman, could you explain when a shoulder is necessary, and why? Is it strength?
Folks easily get confused and believe that a bolt with some amount of unthreaded shank is stronger. It isn't in 99.9% of our uses and applications because the largest diameter at the root of the thread determines the actual strength whether there is one thread or one hundred, or more. The minor diameter is still the minor diameter no matter how many of them there are or where they are.

The vast majority of our applications fall under the rules for slip critical joints which rely on tension in the bolt and the resultant clamping force developed acting on the friction between the surfaces in contact with each other to stabilize the joint. In other words, we stretch bolts to turn them into clamps. The amount of stretch we can employ is determined by bolt strength which is controlled by the bolt material, processing, and physical size.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #8 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
JeffBowser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you.

So that begs the question - if one monkeys with the bolt grade, going from grade 5 to grade 8 for example, I presume you change the clamping force for the given torque spec and a higher grade bolt will need to be torqued down more to achieve the required clamping force?
post #9 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 08:11 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you.

So that begs the question - if one monkeys with the bolt grade, going from grade 5 to grade 8 for example, I presume you change the clamping force for the given torque spec and a higher grade bolt will need to be torqued down more to achieve the required clamping force?
Sorta, you change the torque for the higher strength alloys so you can get a higher clamping force but only sorta. If you move up to a high strength bolt like L9 or F911, they develop higher clamping force at similar torque specs because they stretch less. That doesn't hold true for the lower grades and there are other factors like thread and bolt condition, plated, dry, and lubed which you need to follow to achieve the correct amount of stretch based on just torque value.

Look up bolt torque tables and study and compare them a bit. They will show the clamping force for a given value and how they arrived at it.
JeffBowser likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #10 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 AM
mmierz
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Folks easily get confused and believe that a bolt with some amount of unthreaded shank is stronger. It isn't in 99.9% of our uses and applications because the largest diameter at the root of the thread determines the actual strength whether there is one thread or one hundred, or more. The minor diameter is still the minor diameter no matter how many of them there are or where they are.

The vast majority of our applications fall under the rules for slip critical joints which rely on tension in the bolt and the resultant clamping force developed acting on the friction between the surfaces in contact with each other to stabilize the joint. In other words, we stretch bolts to turn them into clamps. The amount of stretch we can employ is determined by bolt strength which is controlled by the bolt material, processing, and physical size.
My understanding was that the purpose of the shank was to 'beef up' the area directly below the fastener head which sees a stress concentration during loading and interfaces with the mounting surface. Fully threaded fasteners are great for applying clamping force because you can stretch out that entire threaded length, but they're more susceptible to failure due to shear due to the reduction in area - at least that's what I remember being taught.

Either way, I definitely agree that it shouldn't matter for 99% of our uses
post #11 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 11:24 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmierz View Post
My understanding was that the purpose of the shank was to 'beef up' the area directly below the fastener head which sees a stress concentration during loading and interfaces with the mounting surface. Fully threaded fasteners are great for applying clamping force because you can stretch out that entire threaded length, but they're more susceptible to failure due to shear due to the reduction in area - at least that's what I remember being taught.

Either way, I definitely agree that it shouldn't matter for 99% of our uses
If you torque it to the same value, a bolt will see the same tension and provide the same clamping force whether it has an unthreaded shank or not, all other things being equal. The risk of breaking is the same.

The unthreaded shank only affects strength if you have side loading on that portion. Picture the bolt in a shackle, and imagine how much weaker it would be if you completely threaded it.

I'm sure bolts are cheaper to make if you don't thread them as much.
mmierz likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
If you torque it to the same value, a bolt will see the same tension and provide the same clamping force whether it has an unthreaded shank or not, all other things being equal. The risk of breaking is the same.

The unthreaded shank only affects strength if you have side loading on that portion. Picture the bolt in a shackle, and imagine how much weaker it would be if you completely threaded it.

I'm sure bolts are cheaper to make if you don't thread them as much.
Not according to this guy. wait for it

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #13 of 15 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not according to this guy. wait for it
I've seen that one before (you may have been the one who linked it). Wow. So much fail - where to begin? Apparently height causes bump steer, I never knew that. We should all be lowering our Jeeps.

I'd love to see him pull his springs and cycle his suspension. If he has a paper-thickness of clearance at resting height, I'd hate to see what happens on the trail (or in the parking lot, for that matter).
post #14 of 15 Old Today, 12:10 AM
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to think Jantz was smart.

He should stick to differentials.
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 10:41 AM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The arc of the track bar changes if you hold it level? Even with the exact same pivot point? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.