Rear storage box/rack with soft door storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear storage box/rack with soft door storage

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
DaveFL

Rear storage box/rack with soft door storage

Well I use to use a cheap wooden platform in the back of the Rubi for storing the soft doors and other items on trail runs. I started work last week on a new rack/box xombo to hold my Viar tank for the sway-loc and some lockable storage as well as a platform to store my soft doors under.

You can see the way the box with storage rack sits here:

Close up view of the box and rack, here you can also see the 3/4 ply wood removable panel that sits on the rails of the rack. Im not finished with this, I have some aluminum angle that I am framing it with before I Durabak the whole thing for support.

Suns in the way but this is back with tailgate open and view of the box, Rack and wood decking.

Here you can see the rails and box with the decking removed and where the soft doors fit. Im building the decking to remove if I need the extra storage, but the rack and box are bolted into the seatbelt areas in the rear of the tub.

Behind the passenger seat view of the box and rack

Box open you can see the Viar and the tank

Side shot of the box open with tank and Viar as well as how the rack flips down with lid.

I still have to get all the electrical tied in as well as the air lines. But over all this works out pretty nice for me.

The box and rails are 1/2 inch angle and the box rails tying it in are 1" angle. The box is bolted into the rails which are bolted into the tub. The rack is bolted onto the storage box.

The Box is a Deezee ATV box, its 36" long, 12" wide and 10" high. The rack on top of it is a generic ATV rack 38" long, 12" wide and 4" deep.

Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

very nice ... i like that gasket on the lid ... so it doesn't rattle right?

very cool !!!
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
bheiser
2006 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life
very nice ... i like that gasket on the lid ... so it doesn't rattle right?
I don't mean to badmouth Tuffy, because generally speaking their products are great. But this (weatherstripping/gasket) is something they could learn from. They just provide way-undersized flimsy little weather stripping which doesn't last long (or seal well) at all.

This heavy duty one looks great!
bheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
DaveFL

There is a gasket on the lid to seal it water tight and stop rattles. I also ran a rubber backed gasket around the rack when I bolted it to the box to prevent any rattles.

No rattles what so ever with the set up.
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
Unread 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
AFC99TJ

Great job......
AFC99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #6
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you buy the box, and how much?
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
richs347
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just found similar items over on the JCWhitney site. $140 - $180

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10101
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2007, 06:45 AM   #8
DaveFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsanePyro
Where did you buy the box, and how much?
The box itself is a DeeZee ATV box, they make 2 sizes its the larger of the 2. I ordered it from Summit Racing they had the best price was close to $200.

I shopped boxes for about 2 weeks trying to find the right size. That was the difficult part.

The rails sit 6" off the bottom of the tub, I wanted a box that when closed would be level with the top of the tub since I planned on putting a rack on it as well. 12" tall boxes athough not much higher just put the rack too high, then there are quite a few boxes that are 8" high which was too short to alow me to hook the Viar set up in it.

The rack is a generic ATV rack I bought from some online company for $100. There are tons of these floating around just have to pick the deth and size you want. I wish I had went a little bigger as in width 16" maybe instead of 12" but it works out great.
Unread 04-14-2007, 10:42 AM   #9
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

As Peter Griffin would say, " That's Freakin' SWEET!!!!"
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
UnsanePyro
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How is the DeeZee box mounted, bolted through the floor?
UnsanePyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
bradleyfitz

I'm interested in seeing those pics, they're not showing anymore.
98 Sahara, hp44/hp60, warn 5x5.5 premium hub conversion, 4.88, arb's, hydro assist, RE 4.5 SF /w 3.5 springs, Novak / Teraflex SS SYE, currie anti-rock, JKS 1.25" BL, 36" bias iroks, PSC Tube fenders /w 3" flare, PSC Ricochet Rockers, custom rear bumper, btf front bumper / winch plate, warn 9.5ti, full cage, TwistedStitch seats, RCI-2161a fuel cell
bradleyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
Baotchi
2010 JK Wrangler 

No pics either
Unread 04-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no pics...I'm really interested in doing something like this myself.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #14
DaveFL

Sorry guys I had some hosting issues.

I will get some more pics of the set up today and post them.

The box itself is bolted to the frame I built that suspends it 6" above the floor. (Bolts and Rivets)

I have two brackets made that tie the frame that it all sits on into the rear seatbelt bolt holes. I remove those two bolts and the air and electrical harness to pull the entire unit out in a minute.

Check back later today for more pics.

Dave
Unread 04-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #15
DaveFL

Okay full new pics of the setup.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.