Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Reply
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #91
PortlandCJ76
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
I called RC about getting a set of shorter shocks. I'll post post some pics when I get them installed.
But why? Longer shocks give you more travel and flex. If you don't have time or access to a welder to fab your own brackets, you can buy a set of bolt-on shock relocation brackets from Currie for $30.

PortlandCJ76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #92
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandCJ76 View Post
But why? Longer shocks give you more travel and flex. If you don't have time or access to a welder to fab your own brackets, you can buy a set of bolt-on shock relocation brackets from Currie for $30.
For $30 each. It took me a while to find because their website sucks.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...6.aspx?id=3357
http://www.currieenterprises.com/CES...6.aspx?id=3358


I may have to pick up a set. Looks like a fairly easy mod, especially when my welder is still in my front garage.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #93
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler
 
Yesfan70's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the South Side of the Sky, TN
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandCJ76 View Post
But why? Longer shocks give you more travel and flex. If you don't have time or access to a welder to fab your own brackets, you can buy a set of bolt-on shock relocation brackets from Currie for $30.
The impression I get from some of the members in this thread and the other two big threads is that this is a mistake on RC's fault, so I don't think I should have to pay to modify. To my knowledge, the shock exchange is going to cost me nothing ($30 saved). Jeffery did not mention any additional cost on the phone, so that is the impression I got from him.
__________________
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #94
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
The impression I get from some of the members in this thread and the other two big threads is that this is a mistake on RC's fault, so I don't think I should have to pay to modify. To my knowledge, the shock exchange is going to cost me nothing ($30 saved). Jeffery did not mention any additional cost on the phone, so that is the impression I got from him.
Sure you could swap out the shocks, or use them as an excuse to redo the shock mounts to take advantage of the longer shocks.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #95
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Nice Job!! Thanks for the pics. Looks like i have some fab'n to do.
Here are some more pics of the kit in action. It didn't cause me any issues, but i was way to afraid to let passengers ride in the back. You can feel it when it hits the shock bump stops for sure.
You have any bigger pics of the above?

It looks to me like your shocks are short enough, but I can't tell for sure in that small pic.

It sure appears that your coil is almost completely compressed. If that is the case, you do not need or want anymore uptravel.

Are you on the bumpstop there?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #96
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
You have any bigger pics of the above?

It looks to me like your shocks are short enough, but I can't tell for sure in that small pic.

It sure appears that your coil is almost completely compressed. If that is the case, you do not need or want anymore uptravel.

Are you on the bumpstop there?
Yup, but they are big so i'll just link them.
there is still at least an 1" if not 2" before the axle hits the bump stop. The shocks are deep into their bumpstops.

Last edited by jgorm; 06-26-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: broken links
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #97
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,645
Ok, your coils are not as compressed as I thought.

Those progressive rate coils can trick you if you're looking at the top instead of the bottom.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #98
BWFBezerk
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Utica, NY
Posts: 923
Called RC this morning and got my set of shocks on the way, he said it might be a couple days so I'll let everyone know how long it took. Great customer service though, I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Not many companies would be willing to take this kind of hit to keep their name good. I will be doing business with RC as much as I can, but since I already have their winch plate, stinger bumper, and side rails, I'm not sure there is much else to get from them lol.
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #99
BloodThirsty
Hoosier
 
BloodThirsty's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison, Indiana
Posts: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
Called RC this morning and got my set of shocks on the way, he said it might be a couple days so I'll let everyone know how long it took. Great customer service though, I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. Not many companies would be willing to take this kind of hit to keep their name good. I will be doing business with RC as much as I can, but since I already have their winch plate, stinger bumper, and side rails, I'm not sure there is much else to get from them lol.

Nice post. I think it would do a lot of good for people to calm down before they port. Not trying to flame anyone here but RC seems to be doing anything they can to correct this issue and take care of their customers.
BloodThirsty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #100
azcoyote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,721
I forgot to report in too... I contacted them yesterday and they let me know that mine would ship today or tomorrow.... RC is absolutely putting in a great effort to do right by it's customers... I too will be picking up other items from them in the future.
__________________
JEEPLESS... :(
azcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #101
michiganst8fan
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central TN
Posts: 8
Forgive me, but is there a way to tell post installation whether I have the correct or incorrect shocks? Can I measure the body of the shock? I don't want to find out the hard way by running it off road.

Please advise, just installed this lift a short while ago.
michiganst8fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #102
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler
 
Yesfan70's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the South Side of the Sky, TN
Posts: 1,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
Nice post. I think it would do a lot of good for people to calm down before they port. Not trying to flame anyone here but RC seems to be doing anything they can to correct this issue and take care of their customers.

Good point. If my previous post came off that, way then I apologize. That was not my intent and I'm not at all (or have been) angry over this.

Jeff did not give me any questions whatsoever when I called him yesterday. I even offered to send him back the old shocks even though I only have 300 miles on this kit, but refused since they are now considered used.

I have been very pleased with RC's customer service and will likely buy from them again. I would also like to thank Mudb8, Jgorm, and other JF members for their help in all this. Thanks.
__________________
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #103
RCXTREME
Senior Member
 
RCXTREME's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 847
The old cyl # on the shock is a 660584 and the new cyl # for the shorter shock is a 660576. For whoever was asking about the diff in the numbers.
__________________
Gaston @ Rough Country Suspensions
800-222-7023
www.roughcountry.com
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #104
michiganst8fan
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central TN
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
The old cyl # on the shock is a 660584 and the new cyl # for the shorter shock is a 660576.
Is that for the front or rears?
michiganst8fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #105
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganst8fan View Post
Forgive me, but is there a way to tell post installation whether I have the correct or incorrect shocks? Can I measure the body of the shock? I don't want to find out the hard way by running it off road.

Please advise, just installed this lift a short while ago.
Look at your rear shocks and see how much available uptravel they have when you're sitting at ride height.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.