Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #76
sameolsong
2000 TJ Wrangler 

IF you are having problems with the rear shocks you might want to check out the thread in the tj forum rc 2.5 with ome shocks.They are making and sending out shorter shocks.This is one thing that is stopping me from getting this lift.

sameolsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #77
arveetek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the 3.25" kit and left out the rear spacer to level the Jeep out. I have about 3.5" showing between the bottom of the shock body and the top of the rubber shock stop. I have the hard top off and no spare tire carrier, but the spare tire is thrown in the back of the Jeep. I don't know why I have more shock travel than others??

Casey
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #78
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
I have the 2.5 lift with 33x12.50x15's and stock bumpstops, this is what it looks like while resting with one wheel on and the other side on a jackstand, so pretty much how it sits normal. Does this look normal?

There seems to be about an inch of down travel left, I don't think that can be right?

that's how it is.... you actually have more like 3" when the shock crushes the rubber bumper on the rc shock...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #79
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the explanation, I e-mailed the pics to Rough Country and hope to hear from them tomorrow.
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #80
BloodThirsty
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Although I haven't had any issues, this thread worries me.
BloodThirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #81
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
why not just post it up here for everyone to see?

had to wait for the pics.... I also edited my previous post and inserted the pics there..

the other reason is you can simply trace the pattern I already spent a good deal of time fitting to make the most of the space...

stock mount, rc 24" shock...

relocated mount, same rc 24" shock..

sorry for this one.. I did this after work.. it got dark.

this is it.. cut out using only a 4 1/2" cuttoff wheel in an angle grinder.. any DIY'er can do and benifit from this, including getting rid of the tail pipe rubbing the paint off the shock..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #82
crqflier
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
... I'm only interested in helping with the solution to a common problem not bashing rc, (which isn't the ONLY 2.5-4" lift kit manufacture with this very same problem BTW) or making any money....

so, for all our fellow Do-It-Yourself people here....
Great post. I'm a DIY'er but not close to considering this DIY. I'm thinking if I buy a lift kit, it should work without this level of mod. And I was just about to pull the trigger on the RC2.5. What other lift has had (or still has) this issue? I know it's entirely different $$, but can I just get the OME 2" and not have to worry about this?
crqflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #83
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
Great post. I'm a DIY'er but not close to considering this DIY. I'm thinking if I buy a lift kit, it should work without this level of mod. And I was just about to pull the trigger on the RC2.5. What other lift has had (or still has) this issue? I know it's entirely different $$, but can I just get the OME 2" and not have to worry about this?
if you're looking at any lift under 4" that has shocks longer than 23", you have the same problem... BDS uses 24" on the 2" lift... ft... re... check into it.. yep they flex, but ride like crap.

keep an eye on rc, they are taking this problem into consideration...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #84
jmalys
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
I think the OME kit is great ( I have it) and it affords quite a bit of options.

For one thing, the shocks are super short compressed (13.19") for the fronts. You can run anywhere between 31" to 37" tires with this set up. Of corse that all depends on your bodylift, bumpstops extenions, fenders, and backspacing...

I am going to run 35 inch tall tires on this set up this summer. I have 2" extended bumpstops in the rear, and I am going to put 1.5" rubicon express bumpstops up front, then install .75" spacers all around.. and then use some washers to effectively lengthen the front shocks by about .63" in the front to make up for the lost uptravel from the spacers.

I will probably need to trim under my front fender flare as well but that will be trail and error type of situation.

If you are thinking about the OME set up, consider the 949 rear springs for the LJ's, they will end up sitting a bit higher and will sort up make the front sit higher as well as long as you have a lot of weight in the rear ( tire carrier, bumper, rack, gas tank skid, high jack, bla bla).

One last thing, I had something similar to this with my old rubicon express BB set up. I was OK, but when I installed my winch up front, the springs in my 98 vintage jeep just seemed to sag to hell and my uptravel in the front was like 2" or so. Needless to say, I think BB's are a great steping stone but those with 10 year old jeep and winches need not apply.
jmalys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #85
Yesfan70
2004 WJ 

I called RC about getting a set of shorter shocks. I'll post post some pics when I get them installed.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #86
jaymann
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has RC commented on this yet? Im curious because I noticed this on mine too.
jaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #87
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I like my OME kit a lot so far. It does ride better than stock. Haven't gotten it off-road yet, but have a wheeling trip with 10 hours total of highway driving planned in a few weeks. That will be the real test for ride and capability. Click my build thread for the 2.5" OME install, with a comprehensive parts list.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #88
Xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodThirsty View Post
Although I haven't had any issues, this thread worries me.
I haven't noticed either...I'm not worried but its just a PITA to get in there and change everything. But I'd rather get it done rite.
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:10 AM   #89
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
relocated mount, same rc 24" shock..
Nice Job!! Thanks for the pics. Looks like i have some fab'n to do.
Here are some more pics of the kit in action. It didn't cause me any issues, but i was way to afraid to let passengers ride in the back. You can feel it when it hits the shock bump stops for sure.

A few more pics here.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #90
Caribic-TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I friend in my club got this kit and we all thought that the rear shocks are too long, the ride was unpleasant, but RC said some months ago they were the correct length. So I just ordered shorter Skyjacker Hydros for him (including an OME rear track bar bracket) and now all is fine.
Martin
www.offroad-pirates.com
----------------------------------------------------
'06 Unlimited Rubicon
'98 TJ Sahara

Last edited by Caribic-TJ; 06-02-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Caribic-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.