Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-31-2009, 06:58 AM   #61
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishRED View Post
Forgive my ignorance here but can this problem also be solved by increasing the length of the bumpstops by, say, 2.5 inches or is there more to it than that?

I understand that when you get a new kit you want it to be set up right so you are getting what you paid for and new proper length shocks would be ideal but would this work as an interm solution or not?
yes, you could put 2.5" bumpstops in. but you'll have hardly any up travel and you'll be hitting the bumpstops all day long driving on the street. thats why you want to fix the uptravel problem, so the axle can actually move up AND down. With the long shock RC setup its only moving down and hardly any up. And when it does move down, the shock isn't even being used fully because it extends more than the axle can move down.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #62
jenkins_1120
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i just ordered that kit b/c of what i read on jf. just waiting to put it on when i go home on r&r. i guess i have to order my shockshifter bracket to go with it.
jenkins_1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:44 AM   #63
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
yes, you could put 2.5" bumpstops in. but you'll have hardly any up travel and you'll be hitting the bumpstops all day long driving on the street. thats why you want to fix the uptravel problem, so the axle can actually move up AND down. With the long shock RC setup its only moving down and hardly any up. And when it does move down, the shock isn't even being used fully because it extends more than the axle can move down.
Ok, but if I am running 33x10.5R15, won't I have to increase my bumpstops anyway, regardless of the "shock problem?"
IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #64
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, but if I am running 33x10.5R15, won't I have to increase my bumpstops anyway, regardless of the "shock problem?"
I'm running 33x12.5x15 and I have no problems with stock bumpstops. I have RC 2.5 + 1.25 bl and I have barely any rubbing at full flex, and I mean barely.
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #65
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
I'm running 33x12.5x15 and I have no problems with stock bumpstops. I have RC 2.5 + 1.25 bl and I have barely any rubbing at full flex, and I mean barely.
Right, but I only have the 2.5 lift - no body lift
IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #66
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

bumptops don't need to be increased in the rear for 33" tire clearance, shock length is another story.... just the front for 33" tires, depending on the backspacing of the wheels, you may rub the flares, which only makes noise, not damage. 4.5" backspacing will clear the best.

if you're going with the rc 2.5 and the 1.25" bl you need a minimum of 1" bumpstops up front, the front shocks need 1" anyhow to keep em from bottoming out. without a bl, 2" bumpstops minimum up front...
the length of the rc rear shocks translates to 2.5" bumpstops even if you don't add in the axle mounted bumpstops. the shock relocation still needs about 1" of bumpstop...

I'm still waiting on pics of the brakets I made and installed last night, I wasn't the camera operator...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #67
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkins_1120 View Post
i just ordered that kit b/c of what i read on jf. just waiting to put it on when i go home on r&r. i guess i have to order my shockshifter bracket to go with it.

I'll send anyone thats interested in making their own, a pattern of my relocation brackets... they can be cut out with an angle grinder and welded into place, the materials needed are ...

1 scrap piece of 3/16" 2"x3" 12" long tube, cost is about 3 bucks at your local steel yard that has scrap cuttoffs.

2 5/8"x3" bolts
4 5/8" flat washers
2 5/8" lock washers
4 5/8" nuts

the hardware is around 7 bucks... you'll need a 5/8" drill bit to knock out the hole.

I'm only interested in helping with the solution to a common problem not bashing rc, (which isn't the ONLY 2.5-4" lift kit manufacture with this very same problem BTW) or making any money....

so, for all our fellow Do-It-Yourself people here....

a self addressed stamped envelope labled "shock mount" sent to po box 869 Estacada, OR 97023 will get you my pattern which isn't a copy of any you can buy, I free hand sketched, and fitted it using only a pencil and a 4 1/2" grinder...

pics will be here soon..

EDIT.. finally got the pics...

stock mount, rc 24" shock...

relocated mount, same rc 24" shock..

sorry for this one.. I did this after work.. it got dark.

this is it.. cut out using only a 4 1/2" cuttoff wheel in an angle grinder.. any DIY'er can do and benifit from this, including getting rid of the tail pipe rubbing the paint off the shock..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com

Last edited by mudb8; 06-01-2009 at 10:28 PM..
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #68
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right, but I only have the 2.5 lift - no body lift
I ran without my bl installed for about 3 months, no problems.
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #69
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
a self addressed stamped envelope labled "shock mount" sent to po box 869 Estacada, OR 97023 will get you my pattern which isn't a copy of any you can buy, I free hand sketched, and fitted it using only a pencil and a 4 1/2" grinder...

pics will be here soon..
why not just post it up here for everyone to see?
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #70
RecklessJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not wanting to sound ignorant but are the shocks too long for the 3.25 as well as the 2.5?
RecklessJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #71
azcoyote

You know, I noticed my shocks seemed to be a bit compressed too but I did not think to ask why...

I tested mine out and my LJs rears bottom out just coming off my drive way (az driveways have a bump, not smooth). It also explains some of the ride issues I have noticed on bumpy terrain... once they bottom out, all that energy is transmitted to rest of the jeep pretty harshly...

This happens on mine running a soft top and just me in the vehicle...

I am about to head out on a yearly camping trip to the mountains so I hope I do not have a failure when I load my gear... Would not be fun to be stuck out in the boons with a LJ full of gear and no rear shocks or blown mounts...

I still love the kit, the price, and the customer service from RC...
I think some shorter shocks will be needed in the rear though....

I will shoot some pics of mine tonight....
Unread 06-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #72
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Ive got the 3.25 lift I have nt had any issues. I wouldn't mind a shorter shock do to getting a little more travel. Here's some pics

I ended up welding up the rear trac bar bracket due to I was Shearing the bottom bolts off.
Currie Anti rock, Trail gear bumpers, Rokmen tummy tuck with Eng skid, Genright Rockers
Smitty Bult XRC 10k winch

Last edited by JESSETHELJ; 06-01-2009 at 01:52 PM..
JESSETHELJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #73
RecklessJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

do you have a dropped pitman arm running the 3.25?
RecklessJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #74
JESSETHELJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Nope, I just did the front and rear adjustable track bars. But that was not required.
Currie Anti rock, Trail gear bumpers, Rokmen tummy tuck with Eng skid, Genright Rockers
Smitty Bult XRC 10k winch
JESSETHELJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM   #75
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 2.5 lift with 33x12.50x15's and stock bumpstops, this is what it looks like while resting with one wheel on and the other side on a jackstand, so pretty much how it sits normal. Does this look normal?

There seems to be about an inch of down travel left, I don't think that can be right?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.