Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-29-2009, 08:29 AM   #46
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
The lower mount does not need to hang lower to get more room for uptravel.

If you put the lower mount at the same height as stock and move it outwards, you'll end up with more room between the shock mounts.

I don't know exactly how much you gain, but I'd guess its about 1/2"-3/4" more room between the mounts by doing this.

it changes the angle and leverage .. I just went through this with the springs removed and a forklift.

if you pull it out of the stock mount and swing it over it relocates higher with the same uptravel.

I've got a rc 2.5 equipt tj coming that I'm going to make some lower mounts to retain the 24" shocks. I'll be sure to put up pics of how I end up building them and setting them up. the goal is to keep em as high as possible and match the stock bumpstop, It'll prolly end up with a 1" bumpstop though..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #47
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002Jeepdad View Post
Guess this thread answers how I blew the bar pin at the top of my rear shock last weekend while out wheeling. Coming back home I heard clunking in the back end, & when home I noticed my passenger rear shock hanging on by only the lower mount. The bolts were still in place, but no bar pin. Jeff is sending me a new shock & also a spare bar pin. Guess putting in a bar pin eliminator kit would give even less shock travel, so that is out. A shorter shock would hopefully solve that problem, I did notice alot of bottoming out while wheeling & the small black rubbers on the shocks are all deformed now too.
exactly.... busted bar pins, lower mounts and the crushed rubber stops tells that story well.

most don't notice it bottom out, they are distracted by keeping it on the trail... the passengers in the back seat however, definately notice.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #48
NotURMailman
Straight up fool!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
the shocks for the 2.5" and the 3.25" are 24"

the shocks for the 4" lift are 26"... also too long for the 4" lift in the rear. same problem and they unseat the coils at full droop.

Is that the length of the shock bodies? I'm just curious because I want to see if my 6" came with the same shocks as the 4". I think it did, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one side, I got more uptravel. Then again, when I hung the axle (jack stands under the frame) and jacked up one side of the axle I could barely get the one side up any higher than where it sits with the tires on the ground and I know for a fact that the axle is hanging from the shocks under full droop. I'm thining the 6" kit is just the 4" kit with different springs and some brake hoses thrown in? :

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #49
sdmoose429
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Guys! 1st post for me here. I have the RE 2" spacers on my TJ and have had GREAT success with the Rancho 5241 and 5239 shocks. Llots of travel, good ride and tons of flex. Maybe the answer to the long shock problem.
Happy Tails,
Moose
"The BIG guy in the little Jeep."
sdmoose429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #50
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it changes the angle and leverage .. I just went through this with the springs removed and a forklift.

if you pull it out of the stock mount and swing it over it relocates higher with the same uptravel...
When you swing the shock over, you do not have to mount it up higher. You can leave it at the same height that it was previously.

Look at my post #16. See how the bottom of the shock hangs below the axle tube about the same amount as stock?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 07:07 PM   #51
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
When you swing the shock over, you do not have to mount it up higher. You can leave it at the same height that it was previously.

Look at my post #16. See how the bottom of the shock hangs below the axle tube about the same amount as stock?
you're right about that I'm kinda stuck on clearance issues also

I snaped some shots of some nth brackets today. the axle mounts hang down the same as stock mounts. the uppers move slightly outboard and rearward.. they would prolly work great for the rc shock problem, at the very least it would be better..
I'll get the nth pics downloaded tomorrow night, I left the stinkin camera on the tool box again..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #52
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmoose429 View Post
Hi Guys! 1st post for me here. I have the RE 2" spacers on my TJ and have had GREAT success with the Rancho 5241 and 5239 shocks. Llots of travel, good ride and tons of flex. Maybe the answer to the long shock problem.
Happy Tails,
Moose
"The BIG guy in the little Jeep."

lol, those shock part numbers translate to 24.1" and 23.9".... same problem as the rc... only worse cuz you have less lift...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #53
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Is that the length of the shock bodies? I'm just curious because I want to see if my 6" came with the same shocks as the 4". I think it did, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one side, I got more uptravel. Then again, when I hung the axle (jack stands under the frame) and jacked up one side of the axle I could barely get the one side up any higher than where it sits with the tires on the ground and I know for a fact that the axle is hanging from the shocks under full droop. I'm thining the 6" kit is just the 4" kit with different springs and some brake hoses thrown in? :

na, thats the fully extended length.. the bodies are close to 13" and some other brand shocks have shock bodies that are closer to 15" with the same extended length.

the 6" lift short arm shocks should be 26".

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #54
fortz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i was about a week away from pulling the trigger on the RC lift. this sort of thing makes me wonder how R&D doesn't turn up this problem? i mean really, even reverse engineering would tell you what length shock bodies to run. i'd lose my fillings if my jeep bottomed out on every bump the size of a curb. how hard is it to check if bumpstops are eliminating shock bottoming? doesnt seem too hard since members here have done it. seems like with top notch customer service, maybe the design team needs to step up as well? im sure they spent months testing/wheeling before a single unit was sold, how did this happen?
fortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #55
BP88
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
wow that travel sucks. glad i went with OME. RC is clearly trying to lower manufacturering costs by half assing things. they're using the 4" lift shock with a 2.5" lift, and putting a poly spacer on the shock piston to serve as a bumpstop. I see the point from a cost reduction standpoint, but it sure doesn't do their customers any good. That will surely destroy the shock mounts over time.

But, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for
+1 on this, buddy!
BP88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 11:04 PM   #56
Yesfan70
2004 WJ 

Quote:
na, thats the fully extended length.. the bodies are close to 13" and some other brand shocks have shock bodies that are closer to 15" with the same extended length.

the 6" lift short arm shocks should be 26".

I just measured mine and I got 12.75-13". That's just measuring the silver body part of the shock only.

I have not had the opportunity to do any wheeling yet, but thought I would post my measurements up for some sort of reference. Hope this helps.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

My Jeep Pics

I live. I wheel. I am. Jeep
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #57
BigD97TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of getting this lift pretty soon but looks like I'll wait till more bugs are fixed. interested in seeing this kit becoming mainly cus the price. (=
BigD97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #58
JUPITERSAHARA
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'll repost again...I've had this lift on for 5 mos. I do not rock crawl but I have gone mudding and been into some deep sand, running fast and flying through some whoop do doos with NO problems at all; NONE!! My rear shock bodies measure 12.75" long. I have 3/4" spacers in the front. I love my R/C lift kit, the ride is more sporting than stock without being harsh. The progressive springs seem to do their job very nicely, the large piston shocks do a great job of damping the jolts (not to mention the fat shocks look cool)!
4 speed Automatic
Stock....for now!!!
JUPITERSAHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:59 PM   #59
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERSAHARA View Post
I'll repost again...I've had this lift on for 5 mos. I do not rock crawl but I have gone mudding and been into some deep sand, running fast and flying through some whoop do doos with NO problems at all; NONE!! My rear shock bodies measure 12.75" long. I have 3/4" spacers in the front. I love my R/C lift kit, the ride is more sporting than stock without being harsh. The progressive springs seem to do their job very nicely, the large piston shocks do a great job of damping the jolts (not to mention the fat shocks look cool)!
it's obvious you're just ignorant to the fact your rear shocks bottom out and the 3.25" maximum up travel you have, that's if the rubber compresses to nothing... keep up the high speed whoops in the sand, it won't be long and you'll be welding the shock mounts back on the axle and replacing bar pins....

here's pics of the nth degree shock shifters....

I made relocation brackets today and installed them on portlandcj's RC 2.5" equipt tj... it went from 3 1/4" max uptravel to 4 3/8" without causing a negative effect on the downtravel... they are now hung about the same as the nth brackets above, one thing to consider is, the uppers should also be moved, shifting the shocks outboard puts the body of the shock dangerously close to the frame, although the rc shocks don't hit so far... there is now tons of room at the usual contact points from the fuel tank and exhaust. portlandcj's shock has the paint rubbed off of it from hitting the tail pipe..

pics of the new home brew outboard brackets later when they get downloaded...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #60
IrishRED
4-Banger Forever!

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Forgive my ignorance here but can this problem also be solved by increasing the length of the bumpstops by, say, 2.5 inches or is there more to it than that?

I understand that when you get a new kit you want it to be set up right so you are getting what you paid for and new proper length shocks would be ideal but would this work as an interm solution or not?
IrishRED is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.