Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #31
RCXTREME

We have the shorter shocks ordered but have not all of them yet. We have about sets here to do about 20 jeeps. If you are having a problem with the rear shocks please email me pics to jrichards@roughcountry.com and we will send out if needed. But as I said I dont have alot in stock yet and will be few weeks.

RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
We have the shorter shocks ordered but have not all of them yet. We have about sets here to do about 20 jeeps. If you are having a problem with the rear shocks please email me pics to jrichards@roughcountry.com and we will send out if needed. But as I said I dont have alot in stock yet and will be few weeks.
emailed. I know this may seem like bad publicity, but i'd like to say that i am VERY happy with the lift, especially for the price. I pretty much got the 2.5" springs, shocks, 1.25" BL and MML for about 1/2 of the price of ome springs and shocks (no BL/MML). It drives great too!! I've been modding stuff for years and i know when i get into it that the chances of having issues is nearly 50%. At least this is a very minor issue and i'm still going offroading tomorrow with the shocks like this. I just want to get something done before i try and catch 2' of air in the jeep!!
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #33
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How can some people have problems and others not though? If the shock is going to bottom out then it's going to bottom out. Why do people need to send a picture of it? I'm trying to understand the situation, but can't seem to get it I guess. I have the lift installed on my '04 with stock bumpstops. What would be have to be considered to have the shocks replaced?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so it seems like they ran out of the shorter shocks and just sent out the longer ones with the kits
Unread 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #35
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Its not the easiest solution, but you could cut the lower shock mounts off the axle and weld them on the backside of the lower control arm mounts.

This will give you the room you need for uptravel.

It will also improve the ride slightly and will clean up the brackets hanging down below the axle tubes.
to get more uptravel even from relocation the lower mount will need to hang lower... that's not good for clearance.. theres no room to go up with the top mounts.

so, without drastic mods, the RC,BDS,FT, ect.. 24" long shocks give a decent hwy ride and great flex off road for slow speed running, if ya'all don't run shorter shocks, you'll just need to live with the bottoming out..

most prolly don't even notice cuz they've never ridden in or driven a lifted tj off road on seriously rough terrain with a ballanced system like OME offers.. which has 22.5" long travel shocks and only is lacking the extra flex that's useless on the rc, bds, and ft lifts due to unseated springs at full droop.

the best option you can buy right now for shock shifters is nth degree/AEV...
adjustable shifters..
this kit moves both the uppers and lower mounts..

https://secure.aev-conversions.com/s...ode=NTH23100AC

here's what I make from scratch with a grinder and sawzall... a complete outboard mount is about the only solution to having lots of uptravel and down travel with a small amount of lift.

this is what you end up with as far as up and down travel ... I have 2.5" rancho springs BTW... 2 more inches are available on mine if I removed the 2" bumpstops, which are there to clear 37" tires.

in comparison to the stock mounts... shock shifters will still hang as low as the stock/extended mounts you see still on next to my high clearance, long travel mounts.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #36
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUPITERSAHARA View Post
I think R/C has two different length shocks; one for the 2.5" lift and one for the 4" lift. I have the same shocks as you and have taken them for some mild offroad action with no problems at all. Maybe Jeff from R/C can chime in and answer some questions...

the shocks for the 2.5" and the 3.25" are 24"

the shocks for the 4" lift are 26"... also too long for the 4" lift in the rear. same problem and they unseat the coils at full droop.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #37
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
the shocks for the 2.5" and the 3.25" are 24"

the shocks for the 4" lift are 26"... also too long for the 4" lift in the rear. same problem and they unseat the coils at full droop.
definitely not a good design

btw, I like my new OME...it does indeed ride better than stock. RC does appear to have great customer service tho
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post

Here you can see that our stock mount vs the one in the pics is at a totally different angle where it is mounted.

that has got to be the biggest POS cheap extension i've ever seen...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM   #39
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
definitely not a good design

btw, I like my new OME...it does indeed ride better than stock. RC does appear to have great customer service tho

I think rc will be a good OME competitor if they get rid of the long shocks and one spring rate fits all including the lj concerning the springs load capacity... that's about the only major problem I've seen so far besides the imitation JJ's. I have a couple buddies that have the rc 2.5" I wheel with and have installed some rc lifts. I've been addressing the problems.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #40
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
How can some people have problems and others not though? If the shock is going to bottom out then it's going to bottom out. Why do people need to send a picture of it? I'm trying to understand the situation, but can't seem to get it I guess. I have the lift installed on my '04 with stock bumpstops. What would be have to be considered to have the shocks replaced?

if you have an RC 2.5" lift with front and rear 24" long 2.2 shocks....

you bottom out, and thats all there is to it! yer full of crap if you think it doesn't...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #41
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think rc will be a good OME competitor if they get rid of the long shocks and one spring rate fits all including the lj concerning the springs load capacity... that's about the only major problem I've seen so far besides the imitation JJ's.
I completely agree.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #42
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So does everyone that bought the RC 2.5 lift get free replacement rear shocks now? lol
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #43
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
So does everyone that bought the RC 2.5 lift get free replacement rear shocks now? lol

lol, here's what shocks that are too long, bottom out and don't have properly set AXLE bumpstops do to the shock mounts ...

and yes I know... the pic is of an xj.. same thing happens to the tj.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 05-29-2009, 06:13 AM   #44
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
to get more uptravel even from relocation the lower mount will need to hang lower... that's not good for clearance.. theres no room to go up with the top mounts....
The lower mount does not need to hang lower to get more room for uptravel.

If you put the lower mount at the same height as stock and move it outwards, you'll end up with more room between the shock mounts.

I don't know exactly how much you gain, but I'd guess its about 1/2"-3/4" more room between the mounts by doing this.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #45
2002Jeepdad

2013 JK Wrangler 

Guess this thread answers how I blew the bar pin at the top of my rear shock last weekend while out wheeling. Coming back home I heard clunking in the back end, & when home I noticed my passenger rear shock hanging on by only the lower mount. The bolts were still in place, but no bar pin. Jeff is sending me a new shock & also a spare bar pin. Guess putting in a bar pin eliminator kit would give even less shock travel, so that is out. A shorter shock would hopefully solve that problem, I did notice alot of bottoming out while wheeling & the small black rubbers on the shocks are all deformed now too.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.