Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #361
lenny357
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortski3 View Post
I just ordered this 2.5" kit. As far as what the kit comes with, is there anything I need to do extra. I have a LJ and am going to put .75" coil spacers in later, but for the time being is this kit ok to run.

thanks.

Sorry to say to run this lift safely I would suggest all this
-RC springs 2.5 and RC Shocks
** -Rear Bracket
-Steering Dampener
-3/4 inch TJ spacer to lift the back up just a bit, I really load this thing up, camping
** -2 inch bump stop extenders for the rear also, I can jump it now (this is a HUGE safety item, we measured it out and you need these)
-2 sets of RC wheel spacers

** these items are a MUST!!!

As for the spacers 31's will rub off road and on tigfht turns if you don't space them out.

The .75 Coil spacer allows you to load the LJ like you want to .....thats why we bought it right? The heavest load so far I've put in this with my new lift is over 650 lbs in the back plus me I'm 235 no problem plus I was crusing at 70mph. Still had 1.5 inches before the shock hit the rubber stopper.

Save up and do it right the first time, on the RC website it tells you the recommend accesories when you buy this kit.

lenny357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:28 AM   #362
lenny357
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Since the lift has broken in the iratic bouncing has stoped and I'm very pleased with the value. I mean it aint no $1500 Fab tec lift it's a $300 RC lift. The ride is a little more jumpy at 30-45 mph but highway 50-65 is sweeeeeeeeet crusin, I also notice the wind doesen't throw me around anymore.

For the price 4 stars

If your a millionare go else where, hell buy an H1 and Bling it out
lenny357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #363
BlackSCRunner
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe this has been mentioned, but I also noticed that the Rubicon Express Monotube shocks are the same from Budget Boost to 3.5" of lift, and I think they are also spec'd too long and require additional bumpstop as a result...seems like many manufacturers will recommend a shock that is not 100% optimal for a given lift in order to make fewer different shocks. Even Bilstein will recommend shocks for a wide range of lifts where it is really only optimal for one of them, if that. I've been doing a lot of shock research lately and have come to the conclusion that if you have the time and patience the best thing to do is buy separates for your lift kit, and spec the shocks yourself based on measurements, and valving.
BlackSCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #364
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny357 View Post
Since the lift has broken in the iratic bouncing has stoped and I'm very pleased with the value. I mean it aint no $1500 Fab tec lift it's a $300 RC lift. The ride is a little more jumpy at 30-45 mph but highway 50-65 is sweeeeeeeeet crusin, I also notice the wind doesen't throw me around anymore.

For the price 4 stars

If your a millionare go else where, hell buy an H1 and Bling it out
You don't have to be a millionaire to afford a lift with better ride quality than the RC.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #365
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny357 View Post
I mean it aint no $1500 Fab tec lift it's a $300 RC lift.
ahh...a $1500 Fabtrash lift is a pretty bad comparison, and by no means the top of the line.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #366
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSCRunner View Post
...seems like many manufacturers will recommend a shock that is not 100% optimal for a given lift in order to make fewer different shocks...
You're exactly right. In this huge aftermarket business, a majority of the companies are spending more on marketing than engineering and expect the customer who paid full retail price in good faith to do their R&D for them. No matter whether you're building a street rod, dune buggy, or Jeep the shocks must not be allowed to act as a bumpstop!

The lure is the "lifetime warranty." What good is a lifetime warranty if you have to spend countless hours of labor swapping blown shocks? Simply because the "engineers" who designed the kit spec'd the wrong length shocks and didn't have the foresight to include $20 worth of hard rubber or poly for bumpstops...
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #367
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Threads like this make JF worth reading.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #368
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So how do you measure to find the correct length shocks again?
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #369
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

I think they fixed it? I reach full bump in the rear right as my shocks are about to bottom out.
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #370
motorsports3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine have too little down travel so I need to order proper shocks. I think I need to take out the spring and cycle the suspension, correct?
motorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.