Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the low quality pic, and its still in the mock-up stage, but it should help you visualize what I'm talking about.

Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDan View Post
Has anybody talked with RC to see if they're willing to make changes to the kit and help a bruther out? I have the kit too, and you could have made those pict's under my jeep.
You have these shocks and you have this problem. Have you talked with RC? If you had, you would know the answer to your question.
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RC lift and I don't want my shocks blowing out lol. Why hasn't the RC guy posted anything on this thread yet?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
I have the RC lift and I don't want my shocks blowing out lol. Why hasn't the RC guy posted anything on this thread yet?
See post #17. Why do people waste their time complaining on a forum when they can just as easily pick up the phone and call the company?

If you have problems with a company's product, posting on a forum can help keep others from falling into the same problem. But posting on a forum won't usually get anything done for you. If everyone with the shock problem would pick up the phone and call RC, maybe something positive will happen.
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #20
gwkoch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
See post #17. Why do people waste their time complaining on a forum when they can just as easily pick up the phone and call the company?

If you have problems with a company's product, posting on a forum can help keep others from falling into the same problem. But posting on a forum won't usually get anything done for you. If everyone with the shock problem would pick up the phone and call RC, maybe something positive will happen.

Agreed. This matter would be best solved by calling RC. Someone in shipping must have pulled parts from the wrong bin.
gwkoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out post 2375 in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...86467&page=159

Rough Country is working on this problem by making a shorter shock. If you have trouble with yours, talk to Jeffery (RC Vendor) and he will take care of it for you.
'04 WJ
The Past:
'83 CJ7, '92 YJ, '00 XJ, '99 TJ, '05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkoch View Post
Agreed. This matter would be best solved by calling RC. Someone in shipping must have pulled parts from the wrong bin.
Calling the mfr is one option, asking on a forum is another.

Its nice to have opinions from multiple sources. Isn't that the purpose of a forum?
Unread 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #23
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeep 99 View Post
Check out post 2375 in this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...86467&page=159

Rough Country is working on this problem by making a shorter shock. If you have trouble with yours, talk to Jeffery (RC Vendor) and he will take care of it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
I will not send out new shocks unless there is apparently a problem with the ones on the jeep. These are the same shocks that everyone has been running for the past 8-10 months since the kit came out. The shock body should measure 13.33 inches. Yes I have some 12.75 body shocks on order but they are out 60-80 days. But if you do run the 12.75 and use the stock bumpstop it will rub the fenders pretty bad at full flex with a 31-32 inch tire. If you do have a problem with the shocks that are installed and you are sitting on the bumps let me know I will take care of it.

He said if you have problems with the shocks while sitting on the bumps, than he will take care of you. You can be 2 inches off the bumps and have shocks blow when you drive down a bumpy road, but since you weren't sitting on the bumps there's nothing they can do for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Calling the mfr is one option, asking on a forum is another.

Its nice to have opinions from multiple sources. Isn't that the purpose of a forum?
Especially if the vendor has a name on the forum and can answer us all with one post without each one of us having to call separately, but I guess people should only call if they have questions.......
Unread 05-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #24
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Shock mounts seemed to be pushed way up. I have pics of our jeep here I am uploading the pics and you will see the diff in the shock mount on mine vs the one on yours. Andrew 383 was having the same problem and I sent him the pic and there is about 2 inches difference in the mounting of his shocks and mine. Mine does have the shock extenders on it to get it off the axle but the angle itself the lower bracket is at is a big diff. Yes we are do have shorter shocks on order but they will not be here for 60-80 days.

Here you can see that our stock mount vs the one in the pics is at a totally different angle where it is mounted.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #25
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think the angle of the shock mounts looks the same on jgorm's axle.

You can see in the pics that the lower shock mount hangs down about as low as the lower control arm mount just like it should.

Unread 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM   #26
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Shock mounts seemed to be pushed way up.

Here you can see that our stock mount vs the one in the pics is at a totally different angle where it is mounted.
The mounts in post #1 look identical to yours.

[Edit: the difference is that post #1 the axle is at full droop on jackstands and yours is on its tires. Not to mention you might have some difference in pinion adjustment because you have adjustable arms and post #1 looks like stock arms.]

But that doesn't change that it seems you sell shocks too long for your springs.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #27
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at jgroms axle which is on the ground vs my axle on the groud. And mine has shocks shifters and his does not. There is a big difference in mounts placement.
RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Look at jgroms axle which is on the ground vs my axle on the groud. And mine has shocks shifters and his does not. There is a big difference in mounts placement.
So we need shock shifters to move where the bottom of the shock mounts to run this lift correctly?
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #29
DirtyS
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Probably the same reason people waste their time reading it and then typing about it.

I have the RC 2.5 lift and I have had to replace the upper shock mount bushings on both sides, probably for this very reason. RC has always been very helpful with replacement parts but has never mentioned a possible shock length problem. It seems RC is offering a solution to those whose shocks are sitting on the bump stops while the springs are uncompressed but I believe the problem goes deeper than just those individuals.
DirtyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyS View Post
but has never mentioned a possible shock length problem.
Its clearly too long. There is at least 2" of length when fully extended that is totally unusable. This is at full droop with no sway bar or shocks connected. With the sway bar on its even worse.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.