Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #226
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Well maybe you should just dedicate the next week or so to reading up on every, single, solitary post on this forum so you never have to ask a single question that has the remote possibility of having been asked or answered at some point in the past.

If there weren't so many posts telling people to do a search it would be easier to find the stuff you are looking for, ya know!
haha, you know what, you may be right, I guess I'll start reading now..

2001 Yellow Sport, I6, Dana 44 3.73 gears, 31x10.5 procomp AT on cragar soft 8s, silverstar headlights, black headlight bezels, raingler full netting system, raingler roll bar handles, EK motorsport maglite holder, Tuffy door lockers, Tuffy glovebox, stepshield door entry guards, 130w Halogen KC Daylighters on windhield mounts, kenwood kvt-819dvd, 5.25" front speaker conversion, door switch defeat, U-Pol Raptor liner, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Iggee seat covers, SAVVY LED Taillights.
jim_bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #227
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Maybe Jeff needs to put the shock dimensions (both old and new) on RC's website. That would help with all the confusion, repetive posts, lack of searching, etc.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #228
jim_bert
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
Maybe Jeff needs to put the shock dimensions (both old and new) on RC's website. That would help with all the confusion, repetive posts, lack of searching, etc.
That would be an excellent idea...
2001 Yellow Sport, I6, Dana 44 3.73 gears, 31x10.5 procomp AT on cragar soft 8s, silverstar headlights, black headlight bezels, raingler full netting system, raingler roll bar handles, EK motorsport maglite holder, Tuffy door lockers, Tuffy glovebox, stepshield door entry guards, 130w Halogen KC Daylighters on windhield mounts, kenwood kvt-819dvd, 5.25" front speaker conversion, door switch defeat, U-Pol Raptor liner, Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back Exhaust, Iggee seat covers, SAVVY LED Taillights.
jim_bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #229
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i just got mine done today. it took me 3 days, 12 total hours. some tips:
disconnect sway bars and track bars. front trackbar bolt was very tough to remove. i installed trrackbar bracket for the rear. when installing bracket, lower axle as low as possible because the gas tank gets in the way. then to put back in, use grunt force and jack to properly align axle. i drilled new hole for front trackbar. use 2 jack stands under frame and one jack to jack up axle. i extended both front and rear bumpstops by 2" and that gave me the perfect 1" hit before the shocks bottem out. i luckily had the correct shocks. remove bumpstops before attempting to remove springs. after frame is resting on jack stands, jack axle up, put in coil spring compressors, then lower axle slowly. this keeps the coil springs compressed, making it easier to remove. the front i had a difficult time with. i have a 1" puck up front. i had to use coil spring compressors, jack up other side of axle, push down axle as far as possible on my side, then use a prybar to get the spring back in. also big tip, learned for myself today, when putting in front coils, put the top over the bumpstop mounting location, and before the bottem of the spring is pushed in, put all bumpstop hardware inside the coil. it is very diffucult because of the new springs' design to fit anything bumpstop related into it after the bottem is in. when changing the shocks in the rear, use a nice long extension to access the rear upper shock bolts. thats all i can think of for now, but if more comes to me i will be sure to post. i will post some before and after shots aswell.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #230
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So pretty much the new shocks have the same problem, but in multiple pages of posts, RC has still not answered as to why the new shocks still have too long of a shock body?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #231
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

since you guys like to measure stuff,can somebody that got the SS with there kit measure it for me?
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #232
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew383 View Post
since you guys like to measure stuff,can somebody that got the SS with there kit measure it for me?
LMAO!
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 05:36 AM   #233
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan70 View Post
LMAO!
seriously tho
Unread 06-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #234
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
So pretty much the new shocks have the same problem, but in multiple pages of posts, RC has still not answered as to why the new shocks still have too long of a shock body?
They have no acceptable answer. Either they say they didn't know and they are retarded, or they can say they didn't care.
Quote:
Its the same size.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #235
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what the lenght tho?i dont run a SS...
i have a different rear shock prob remember
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #236
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my bad.....

Last edited by BWFBezerk; 06-20-2009 at 03:34 PM..
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 01:50 PM   #237
mrgimble
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
So then the stock shock would be better to use than the RC one because it has a shorter shock body, but same length when pulled out????? RC Seriously?

Wow, can I return my rear shocks and get some money back since they are useless and put in the kit just to get the price up, even though we're better off with stock shocks? RC, any answers to any of this?
That is a steering stabilizer not a shock.

Last edited by mrgimble; 06-20-2009 at 02:07 PM..
mrgimble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:43 PM   #238
andrew383
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So then the stock shock would be better to use than the RC one because it has a shorter shock body, but same length when pulled out?????
none of that even makes since... read what i asked
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #239
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
They have no acceptable answer. Either they say they didn't know and they are retarded, or they can say they didn't care.

Its the same size.

so.... what are the measurments of the new short shocks both extended and collapsed assuming the bumpers are cut off?

my understanding was the new was going to be about 23 and 13... wich would have at least 9.5" travel, the stock ones are around 8"...

that pic looks like a stock replacment...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #240
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
what the lenght tho?i dont run a SS...
i have a different rear shock prob remember

what ss brackets are you refering to?

I think you're the one I said I'd send some actual brackets to since your current brackets are tipped up. is that right?

here's a new version I made today for more strength, more surface to weld insuring it won't get ripped off and will work with other shocks that aren't upside down..

this is a link the album, you can acually see how I made them without a write up...

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ck%20shifters/

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.