Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #166
Weeeee
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
OK.... ya finally figured out what the big stink I was raising is all about! lol

that's exactly right.... same uptravel and bumpstop banging ride tho, flex is improved to the point that's it's not all useable...
So should I still have RC ship me the newer shorter rears, cut off the bumps on the shocks and install appropriate bumpstops?

Weeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #167
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
So should I still have RC ship me the newer shorter rears, cut off the bumps on the shocks and install appropriate bumpstops?
X2.

i bought the kit on friday hopefully they included the new shocks
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #168
Skidoox593
1997 TJ Wrangler 

any pics of the new shocks installed....and did people who originally got the long shocks have to pay to get the new ones cause i called and they said it was going to be $50 for the pair
Skidoox593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #169
Naranjo51
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was ready to buy this lift when this topic came up now I don’t know what to do. Do you guys recommend buying this lift and getting longer bump stops, or buying the lift without the shocks?
Or is there another 3.5 lift out there that is not that much $$$$?
Naranjo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM   #170
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

RC has fixed the shock issue....go ahead and buy.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #171
Naranjo51
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I thought that you new shocks were still to long?
Naranjo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #172
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd buy the kit again, but not the shocks. yeah, the new ones are still too long for me, by 2.25".
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #173
fortz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

unless im mistaken, "too long" is a little vague. I believe, again, unless i am mistaken, that the uptravel of the shock has to match the uptravel of the axle towards the bumpstop. though the shocks now have added uptravel, they still don't match (again, unless i have read a few threads wrong). therefore, yes, you may want to add bumpstops to make those two uptravel measurements match. the problem of bottoming out on a curb, as i understand, has been solved by the longer uptravel. but the problem of the shocks bottoming out before the bumpstops take action, has not. If i'm wrong i'll rescind. i just bought the darn lift last week. will install in about 4 weeks.
fortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #174
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What is the most common way you guys have bumpstoped??
jeeptrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #175
fortz
2002 TJ Wrangler 

you may want to wait and take some measurements. whatever the distance from the axle to the bumpstop, subtract the distance of uptravel on the shock... then add that to your bumpstops. unless i have my brain in backwards that should give you = travel, therefore no shock damage.
fortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:00 PM   #176
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortz View Post
the problem of bottoming out on a curb, as i understand, has been solved by the longer uptravel. but the problem of the shocks bottoming out before the bumpstops take action, has not. If i'm wrong i'll rescind. i just bought the darn lift last week. will install in about 4 weeks.
I bet if you put 2 dudes, or some camping gear, in the back it would still bottom out going off a curb. my initial video was shot with no rear seat, no gear, and going slow. I have not tried with the new shocks, but i could bounce on the bumper and bottom the old ones out. (165lb) If you hit a whoop or bump at any speed, with any gear in the back, i would expect carnage. The new shocks only add 0.75" of up travel compared to the old, and still leave 2.25" on the factory axle bump stop when the shocks bottom out.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #177
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
I bet if you put 2 dudes, or some camping gear, in the back it would still bottom out going off a curb. my initial video was shot with no rear seat, no gear, and going slow. I have not tried with the new shocks, but i could bounce on the bumper and bottom the old ones out. (165lb) If you hit a whoop or bump at any speed, with any gear in the back, i would expect carnage. The new shocks only add 0.75" of up travel compared to the old, and still leave 2.25" on the factory axle bump stop when the shocks bottom out.
So you have any ideas? Buy a different shock from someone else?? If so what brand/size?
jeeptrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM   #178
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeeee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0Executioner View Post
X2.

i bought the kit on friday hopefully they included the new shocks
that's the best way to protect the mounts and shocks.. using proper axle mounted bumpstops, the rubber bumpers aren't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naranjo51 View Post
I thought that you new shocks were still to long?
the new shocks should be about 23" extended, 13" long collapsed and need around 1" extended bumptops in the rear... that's with the rubber bumper cut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
So you have any ideas? Buy a different shock from someone else?? If so what brand/size?
OME has 22.5" extended, 13" collapsed shocks also, n66/n67, they don't need extended bumpstops in the front, but still need 1" extended stops for the rear. beings the new rc shock is also 13" the ome shocks don't change the situation, and running stock length shocks don't improve the flex... which is about the only other option..

stock rears are 19.5", 12.25" collapsed, the stock fronts are 21" 13" collapsed...

the whole thing about the long shocks is they don't offer any improvement in uptravel from the lift over stock. the shorter shocks give an additional inch, which makes quite a difference in ride quality on and especially off road. since the RC/OME shocks have no resivoir in them, they offer more overall travel from the smaller package.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #179
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
RC has fixed the shock issue....go ahead and buy.
No they haven't

The "new" shocks still have too long of a shock body. I'm a little upset that this problem came up and they sent out new shocks that still have the original problem that people were complaining about, just not as bad, but still there.
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #180
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
No they haven't

The "new" shocks still have too long of a shock body. I'm a little upset that this problem came up and they sent out new shocks that still have the original problem that people were complaining about, just not as bad, but still there.
this is the measurements of a stock X tj.. the front spring rate is 128, the rear spring rate is 104, which is a common and good rate for a stock 4.0 tj. a rubicon/sahara model will have 129-130 front and 104-106 rears..

front... 3.75" max, 1.75" to bumpstop contact.

rear, 4" max, 2" to contact.

this is a rear 24" extended, 14" collapsed rc shock the "long ones", 3.25" max

this is the 14" rear with outboard shock relocation..

outboard mounts not only gain uptravel they also get rid of the shock rubbing on the tail pipe and the fuel tank.

I dont have a pic of the front with 24" extended, 14" collapsed shocks, they have about 4.5" max travel and need about 1" of bumpstop extension.

the new short shocks are an improvement and can also be relocated in the rear for more, which would about match the stock bumpstops having close to 5" rear uptravel and makes a good platform for 31-32" tires

my take on the new shock length is it's now at least matching the stock up travel and yeilds a bit more flex.... that's the best you're going to get from a 2.5" lift without shock relocation or simply reusing the stock shocks, stock shocks limit the tire size to 31" without a bl or longer bumpstops,
using longer bumpstops to fit larger tires?..., ya may as well use that much longer shock also and take advantage of the flex that comes from the longer shock... there are many variables, we just can't quite have it all without invasive body mods/shock relocation, that's how my rig got to where it is.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.