Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #151
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0Executioner View Post
are the fronts too long too?
On mine the fronts will contact 1.1" before the axle bump stop (just measured). Still not a bad lift for the $$, but i would have bought other shocks if i knew about these issues. Oh well, just another excuse to burn some metal.

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #152
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What did you have in mind when you say you are going to burn some metal? I am thinking of trying to build some adjustable bumpstops.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #153
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
What did you have in mind when you say you are going to burn some metal? I am thinking of trying to build some adjustable bumpstops.
On the front i'm going to copy mudb8's idea of using a pipe to extend the shock length. I'll probably go with a little bigger diameter pipe and hopefully 1/4". I'll push it up to about 0.5-0.75" from the hole on the body (to get the impact in for the shock bolt).

Basically i'm going to copy most of what he did in this post.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=10

The rear will get some relocators on the axle (similar to his, or the nth degree kit). I want to build the rear tower too, but taller. I figure if i'm going to do all this cutting and welding i might as well make it so i can have shocks for a 6" lift with NO clearance problems at full droop or compression. I don't plan on a 6" lift, but i never know what i'm going to be getting into in a couple years!
Unread 06-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #154
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When you guys talk about making your own shock mounts, how will you avoid them hanging down below the axle and possibly getting torn off? I'm just thinking if your goal is to lower the bottom shock mount so you have more up travel, won't it hang down too low?
the relocated shock is protected by the lower control arm to an extent, and creats more clearance over all...

Quote:
I just don't understand how this problem isn't a fairly simple fix by Rough Country? I'm no mudb8, but it seems obvious even to me that uptravel/bumpstop distance is more important than their claim of "longer shock bodies to allow for more droop.." which will clearly cause issues with the shock bottoming several inches before the axle bumpstops.
rc uses the rubber shock mounted bumpstops to protect the shocks, it's left up to the owner/installer to properly set up the axle bumpstops to prevent damage to the shock mounts and bar pins...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
[url]http://www.roughcountry.com/press_release/performance_series_shock.pdf The shock mounts will be changed at the top, not the bottom. (well maybe at the bottom too with the Nth relocate kit)

yeah, i figured they would get it right on the second go around, but apparently not.
nth relocates top and bottom...

are your collapsed measurements with the rubber bumper on the shock or minus the 1.5" they are tall?

nth degree shock shifters..

Quote:
this may sound stupid, but what if you ran the stock size shocks in the rear if you didnt care about ruining them? that way no bar pins or shock mounts are destroyed. and maybe i missed it, but are the fronts too long too?

i just ordered mine from jerry on friday, and had no idea about this issue. do you think my kit will come with the 23.5" shocks or 24.9?

and if i run 31's, which bumpstops to i need to lengthen
nothing stupid there.. the stock shock won't get hurt at all. and if you don't need all the flex from the long rc shocks, the stock shocks are the way to go.. 31's don't need any extra bumpstops front or rear, depending on the wheel backspacing they may rub the flares.

IMO, the fronts are pushing being to long, just not enough to make me raise a big stink over.. they only need an extra 1" extension over stock and offer a huge amount of flex in comparison to the stock shocks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
On mine the fronts will contact 1.1" before the axle bump stop (just measured). Still not a bad lift for the $$, but i would have bought other shocks if i knew about these issues. Oh well, just another excuse to burn some metal.
here's my suggestion...

cut off the rc shock mounted rubber stops and add the 1" ,or so, axle mounted bumpstop that is needed to keep the front shock from bottoming out... that'll make a big difference when you find a set of tracks to fly over.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #155
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

where can you get bump stop extensions? or even better, what can you use to make your own if you cant weld? lots of washers or is there another option?
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #156
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
where can you get bump stop extensions? or even better, what can you use to make your own if you cant weld? lots of washers or is there another option?
here's a link

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/T...px?folder=TJBS

stay away from using the 2" plug in type extensions... they'll get knocked out of the bells up front and can miss the pads both front and rear fully stuffed.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #157
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
here's a link

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Jeep/T...px?folder=TJBS

stay away from using the 2" plug in type extensions... they'll get knocked out of the bells up front and can miss the pads both front and rear fully stuffed.
okay thank you

build thread:
Unread 06-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #158
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
are your collapsed measurements with the rubber bumper on the shock or minus the 1.5" they are tall?
My measurements were eye to eye with the shock pushed up as far as it will go (sitting on their bump stops). I did not subtract out that distance. Thanks for the other tips!
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #159
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So then the only way to run this lift without damage to the shocks or shock mounts is too extend the bumpstops?
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 08:26 PM   #160
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
So then the only way to run this lift without damage to the shocks or shock mounts is too extend the bumpstops?
I would say it depends more on the type of terrain your jeep sees and what tire size you are running. If you are constantly flexing it to the fullest you will kill your shocks pretty fast.

I have been running the 3.25 on my LJ For almost 2 months, i dont do anything TO extreme, but love running forest roads and what not. I have not got around to adjusting my bumpstops yet, but am planning on it very soon. I am still running 31's, but as soon as they wear down i am going 33. With 33's i will have to have a larger bumpstop or i will rub at full flex

In this pic i am just barley touching my rubber bumper on the shock, not compressing it yet.

jeeptrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #161
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 1.25 bl also, so I am not worried about rubbing at full flex, just wish RC would of mentioned this kinda info on their site for the lift, and also again when they sent out the 'newer and better' shocks that were suppose to fix this problem...
Unread 06-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #162
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
yep extend the stock bumpstops to protect the shocks and mounts, then cut off the rubber bumpers that come on the shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
I would say it depends more on the type of terrain your jeep sees and what tire size you are running. If you are constantly flexing it to the fullest you will kill your shocks pretty fast.
the flexing actually isn't what kills the mounts, it's the bumps and dips in the road that bottoms out the shocks that creates the biggest problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
I have been running the 3.25 on my LJ For almost 2 months, i dont do anything TO extreme, but love running forest roads and what not. I have not got around to adjusting my bumpstops yet, but am planning on it very soon. I am still running 31's, but as soon as they wear down i am going 33. With 33's i will have to have a larger bumpstop or i will rub at full flex

In this pic i am just barley touching my rubber bumper on the shock, not compressing it yet.

IMG]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii24/Danisan23/P6130017.jpg[/IMG]

you'll need 2" stops up front without a bl, 1" with a 1.25" bl which is about right for the front rc shocks.

the rear just needs to match the shocks, 33's fit and stuff in the rear wheel well with stock bumpstops, although the 24" rc shocks need close to 2.5" extended bumpstops on the rear.

running the 3.25" lift gives you more uptravle and is a closer match to the rc 24" long shocks, I'd still put outboard lower mounts on it to gain more and reduce the amount of bumpstop extensions on the rear.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #163
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So, we have to extend the bumpstops 2 inches? That means that this lift gives you more clearance for bigger tires, but because of the extended bumpstops, has the same amount of flex as a stock suspension?
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #164
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So, we have to extend the bumpstops 2 inches? That means that this lift gives you more clearance for bigger tires, but because of the extended bumpstops, has the same amount of flex as a stock suspension?

OK.... ya finally figured out what the big stink I was raising is all about! lol

that's exactly right.... same uptravel and bumpstop banging ride tho, flex is improved to the point that's it's not all useable...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #165
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

question: right now i am running 30's. which bumpstops and by how much do i need to extend?

i plan on 31's in the future, not near future though.

i just ordered 2" bumpstop extensions. is that overkill?

i got them from here:
http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...oducts_id/1858

build thread:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.