Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift. - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shocks are too long for the RC 2.5" spring lift.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #136
RCXTREME

2000 TJ Wrangler 

On the bushings rubbing alcohol will work magic. Just spray some on the bushings and they will push right out.

RCXTREME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #137
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCXTREME View Post
On the bushings rubbing alcohol will work magic. Just spray some on the bushings and they will push right out.
Wanna know what I hate about Rough Country?

What I hate is that no matter what the problem is they always have to come in with this simple answer that works, they don't give customers the runaround. They just step in, help people out, and that's it.

I don't know about you guys, but I would rather deal with a company that doesn't answer phone calls/e-mails. Doesn't help out at all, even if it's a problem based on their product instead of customer stupidity. I'm done with RC, I'll only be dealing with Quadratec from now on, I heard they treat their customers like they're suppose to.

[/sarcasm]
BWFBezerk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #138
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

^^^ LOL!!!
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #139
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So i just scanned through all the post and i dont recall seeing what the measurements were on the proper short shocks... any one got them handy?
jeeptrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #140
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
So i just scanned through all the post and i dont recall seeing what the measurements were on the proper short shocks... any one got them handy?

23" extended, 12.75"? collapsed... could be 13" I havent seen actual measurments yet either..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #141
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Now is that the grey shock body or from mount to mount? If i remember correctly my BODY is 12.75... And i got my kit over a month ago...
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #142
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbs View Post
Now is that the grey shock body or from mount to mount? If i remember correctly my BODY is 12.75... And i got my kit over a month ago...
eye to eye centers...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM   #143
jeeptrash
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hmmm Guess i am going to have to flex it out and measure it, dont really feel like removing it to measure it...
Unread 06-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #144
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I took off the old shocks and compared them with the new one.....not too much difference really, idk how much it will help. Still shorter distance than it takes for my bumpstop to hit:

Unread 06-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #145
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWFBezerk View Post
.not too much difference really, idk how much it will help.
Same here. I thought mudb8 cleared it up for RC with this picture, but apparently not.

Here are the measurements.
Code:
          In          Out
Stock    12.1"      19.25"
Old RC   16.5"      24.9"
New RC   15.75"     23.5"
While on my wheel ramps i have 3" for the shock to hit the shock bump stop and 5.25" before the axle hits the bump stop. D'oh!! Looks like i'll have to make my own shock mounts to get what i want. Oh well, you get what you pay for.
I'll post a pic when i get around to it.

Also i thought these were supposed to be gas charged shocks. Don't gas charged shocks extend on their own? Every single shock i've dealt with has extended on its own to max length, except for these "china" shocks.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #146
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, they are not gas charged. I thought gas charged were too stiff/rough riding for TJ's? Not sure about that, thought I read it on here. When you guys talk about making your own shock mounts, how will you avoid them hanging down below the axle and possibly getting torn off? I'm just thinking if your goal is to lower the bottom shock mount so you have more up travel, won't it hang down too low?
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #147
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just don't understand how this problem isn't a fairly simple fix by Rough Country? I'm no mudb8, but it seems obvious even to me that uptravel/bumpstop distance is more important than their claim of "longer shock bodies to allow for more droop.." which will clearly cause issues with the shock bottoming several inches before the axle bumpstops.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #148
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Nope, they are not gas charged. I thought gas charged were too stiff/rough riding for TJ's? Not sure about that, thought I read it on here. When you guys talk about making your own shock mounts, how will you avoid them hanging down below the axle and possibly getting torn off? I'm just thinking if your goal is to lower the bottom shock mount so you have more up travel, won't it hang down too low?
Quote:
The enclosed gas shock
http://www.roughcountry.com/press_re...ries_shock.pdf
The stock shocks are gas charged. The shock mounts will be changed at the top, not the bottom. (well maybe at the bottom too with the Nth relocate kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I just don't understand how this problem isn't a fairly simple fix by Rough Country? I'm no mudb8, but it seems obvious even to me that uptravel/bumpstop distance is more important than their claim of "longer shock bodies to allow for more droop.." which will clearly cause issues with the shock bottoming several inches before the axle bumpstops.
yeah, i figured they would get it right on the second go around, but apparently not.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #149
BWFBezerk
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So these shocks are not gas-charged as stated on their site, and the new shocks still have too long of a shock body to run with this lift? RC please chime in.
Unread 06-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #150
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

this may sound stupid, but what if you ran the stock size shocks in the rear if you didnt care about ruining them? that way no bar pins or shock mounts are destroyed. and maybe i missed it, but are the fronts too long too?

i just ordered mine from jerry on friday, and had no idea about this issue. do you think my kit will come with the 23.5" shocks or 24.9?

and if i run 31's, which bumpstops to i need to lengthen
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...4/#post9499802

Last edited by MC_NickP; 06-13-2009 at 03:59 PM..
MC_NickP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.