Rear shock mount broke.....????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock mount broke.....?????

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 10-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
hershseany
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear shock mount broke.....?????

I have a 2001 Jeep wrangler with a 2inch lift. Yesterday my right rear shock came loose and was hitting my exhaust. I took off the shock and noticed that the top part of the mount had broken off and I also lost the top bolt connected to the shock. Does anyone know where I can get the parts to fix it myself? And is it dangerous to be driving around with a shock missing??

hershseany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the part that broke is the bar pin (the part with the U cut on each end that goes through the top shock bushing), then you'll need to replace the shock because the bar pin comes with the shock. And you'll need to get two shocks because you should never just replace one shock. The bolt you can get from any real hardware store. While you're at it, replace both and make sure they're either grade 5 or 8.

Driving with a shock missing is doable, but you should be careful. Your rear will bounce a lot more and you'll need to watch yourself real carefully on turns.

Also, and this might be why your bar pin broke in the first place, you need to make sure your shocks are the right length for your lift and you have sufficient bumpstops to prevent the shock from being overcompressed - otherwise you'll just break your bar pin again when you compress your rear.
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

check out my thread on this subject, the exact thing happend to me, it was even on the same side as yours hitting the exhaust.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/shock-bolt-broke-599612/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.