Rear shock is loose on bottom 'bolt' - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock is loose on bottom 'bolt'

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rear shock is loose on bottom 'bolt'

Its a pro comp shock (pretty sure) with a 4" long arm lift. I noticed today I heard quite a bit of thunking and squeaking coming from the back right tire. I got out, and shook the Jeep, and noticed that the shock was moving slightly on the bottom bolt (the one that mounts to the axle). I checked the bolt, and it was tight; but Im assuming the bushing is toast on the shock.

I was looking to replace the shocks anyways, but how bad is this to leave for a while?

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

How long is a while? Bushings are pretty cheap.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well that depends haha. Id like to buy a new set of shocks so I dont want to do the work twice but funds are low.

Call it lazy; I call it efficient.
Unread 04-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The damage you'd do is if the bolt gave way from it wearing on it. Who knows what that swinging shock will hit once it comes loose? gas tank etc.

I agree with the above post that bushings are cheap, and the bottom bolts are the easiest IMO. Just change it.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 02:27 AM   #5
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmckinley View Post
The damage you'd do is if the bolt gave way from it wearing on it. Who knows what that swinging shock will hit once it comes loose? gas tank etc.

I agree with the above post that bushings are cheap, and the bottom bolts are the easiest IMO. Just change it.
Okay; so just curious; what is it called; and who should I get it from? Do I need to get one from the shock manufacturer, or is it a part that the dealership/partstore can order?
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
trotter8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just had the same thing happen to my Skyjacker shock. The dealer just sells the whole shock (at least that is what they told me). I ended up going through Skyjacker to get the bushing part number and then ordered it through one of their distributors.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.