Rear shock bushing worn out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear shock bushing worn out

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
JeepinCanuck
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rear shock bushing worn out

Hey, I'm new to JF and this my first post.

I recently noticed some pretty loud banging from my Jeeps rear end. After further inspection I determined that the rear passenger lower shock bushing is worn out. The bushing is still in place but has become worn and there is a bit of play in the bushing.

I am running old man emu nitrocharger shocks. I contacted ARB and they are sending me new bushings but won't be here for over a week. My question is if I can continue to drive my jeep while I wait for the bushings? It is my primary vehicle so I do need it to get around.

Any thoughts? This happen to anyone else?

Cheers.

JeepinCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You should be fine till you get the new ones. I have the same shocks, have not been a problem.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen with my shocks. All four of my lower bushings were worn and I had to drive around on them like that for the same reason. I replaced my rear shocks because they were garbage anyway but for the fronts I just put new bushings in. I did it with the shocks still installed on the top mount. I did have to slightly bevel the edge of the bushing that sits inside to get it to slide in easy. Shouldnt take too long at all.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
J33Ptj
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been checking the condition of the shock mount ever since the sound started, until RE send me some new bushings, and everything appears to be OK (just really annoying sounds!).
J33Ptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #5
Biany
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Had the same thing happen... I drove like that for about a year and a half... eventually the bar that goes through the top of the shock and bolts to the body snapped in half. I wouldn't recommend going THAT long... but you should be okay for a while Hey, what can I say... I was poor...
Biany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
JeepinCanuck
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks gents for the quick response. Hopefully I'll have this fixed within two weeks.
JeepinCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.