Rear seat won't fold down - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear seat won't fold down

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rear seat won't fold down

Didn't see any threads about this when I searched, but hopefully someone else has had this issue before. I've been trying to track down a rattle at 45-50mph that's somewhere in the back of the cabin, and as part of that I was trying to flip up my rear seat to see if anything is loose underneath it. Unfortunately, it seems like the release mechanism on top of the seat is seized, as no matter how hard I pull on the latch the seat will not unlock to fold down. I'm afraid that if I try any harder I'll break it. It's always been a little sticky but I've never had issues with it not releasing at all in the past, haven't tried to fold it down in several months though. Does anyone know how you get at the mechanisms relating to that latch, lubrication points, etc?

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 5 speed
Work in progress...
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i encountered this same problem...i know this is an old post but were u able to figure it out. it just happened today so i haven't really had a change to thoroughly investigate the problem. Hoping to fix it later today at home once i get out of work.
venum67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No, I've just avoided having to haul anything for the past few months. Going to take another crack at it when I'm on vacation in a couple of weeks, and probably end up taking it to the dealer if I can't figure it out. I haven't really found any useful information on my specific issue on any forum, unfortunately.

Work in progress...
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
agn015
2004 TJ Wrangler 

my brothers 04 rear seat latch on the passenger side was rusted shut too. It made it impossible to remove the seat with one person. I was able to remove it by having him pull on the plastic top lever. I then took a screwdriver and wedged it in the latch beneath the seat to free it. I went at it from the front of the seat. That was the only way we could get the seat out. Then we greased it up and while its not perfect, it is MUCH better. We just used 3 in 1 oil on the mechanism and moved it around a lot to let the oil reach all moving parts.
agn015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yea i went to look at it during my lunch break. Seems one of the cables on the latch is busted so only one side is releasing the seat. I haven't found any useful information either. Was hoping to find a schematic or diagram of the seat. I'm gonna dig into it a little more once i get home. I'll let you know what happens and take some pics if i found something interesting.
Unread 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have an FSM, but I couldn't make enough sense of the diagram to figure out how to try and release the seat by some other means without first removing it... which of course I can't.

Work in progress...
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Open the back of the seat to sheck if both cables are attached. Under the back at the bottom, is the interlocked plastic strip. You have to undo the strip.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'll give that a shot when I get home this weekend and report back.

Work in progress...
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea your best bet is to release the fabric at the back and then try to see the problem and how you can join it back together
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry commodore...every time i get home from work thinking i'm gonna have a chance to fix this i get stopped by the boss with a honey-do list. i'm hoping i get a chance this weekend as well! I'll try to remove the fabric and see what's going on.
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #11
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Took a stab at it tonight. I can feel the retaining strip, but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to detach - just seemed very secure. I felt like I was going to break or tear it if I continued so I stopped...

Work in progress...
Unread 07-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Look under the back of the front seats. It's going to be the same. You are going to have to wor a small screwdriver in there to begin to seperate.
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well it took a week but I finally figured out how to get that strip undone. The pictures here helped - http://www.instructables.com/id/Remo...the-seat-back/. Tore it up somewhat in the process, unfortunately. More unfortunate is that I'm not sure what to try next - I can see the bottom bits of the cables that go from the release lever in the top of the seat over to the sides of the seat frame and then down, but I am unable to determine where they're frozen. I cannot pull them manually away from the sides of the frame to try and release the seat, and when I pull out all of the slack that was there I'm still unable to pull the release lever at all - it seems like the mechanism is frozen at every possible point, but since what I've done so far only lets me flip up a couple of inches of fabric at the bottom of the seat back, it's possible more could be done if I could get more of the fabric out of the way, or figure out how to release the seat externally somehow.

Work in progress...
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #14
venum67
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You're gonna hate me for this but i was able to fix mine...only problem is i didn't take any pictures. I live in Texas and it's been rainy and humid all week so i was in a hurry cause i needed to get the seat up to remove my sub box. But yea i had to remove the fabric to see what was going on. Luckily the passenger side functions properly so i was able to see how it's suppose to function. I was able to get the other side to unlock even though the cable is busted just by lifting up on the lever. Still don't know how i'm going to replace that one cable but i am able to unlock that side with my finger w/o removing the fabric now that i know where that lever is. if yours is seized up i'm sure a screwdriver will work too. i will try like hell to take some pics this weekend for you to show you what i'm talking about.
Unread 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

To the original poster, just making sure. The post says that the seat won't fold but is it that the back will not fold or the seat will not tumble. There are two actions and two releases. I had a problem with the tumble releasing and fixed that one. If that is your problem, I may be able to help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.