Rear seat relocation? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear seat relocation?

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
JSahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rear seat relocation?

Has anybody ever moved there rear seat back so that full grown people could fit in it? i took it out of the brackets and just left it in the back against the door and it made tons of room for the passengers and made for a comfy ride for them... Thanks for the input in advance

JSahara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I moved mine forward to fit a storage bin in the back of my LJ. Just redrilled some of the mounting holes for the brackets. You should be able to get it to work going the other way. Don't forget about the seat belts and locations of the passengers heads in a roll/accident.

Of course doing something like this just promotes your passengers from mooching off your jeep instead of buying their own.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
EvilM0nkey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Wow that's pretty dangerous OP. So now the seat belt has to hold your passengers in AND the loose seat?
But yes since the rear seat is useless anyway it would be nice to move it back into the useless storage space, then modify it so it can have a slight recline.
1987 Coleman Columbia
EvilM0nkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
JSahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hes stupid to begin with so hitting his head wouldn't have made a huge difference... hahaha we just went in my back yard woods so no dangerous road driving.. i think im going to try it just need to check there head clearing the roll bar... thanks... now i have something to do sunday
Unread 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Seem like it wouldn't move back at all. There's recesses in the fenderwells (see pic) - doesnt the seat occupy that space? If you move it rearward isn't it wider than the fenderwells? (Mine's out so I can't check.)

If you did move it back do take the time to relocate the brackets...

BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
CanadianCon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ Nope the seat fits perfectly. My dad moved his rear seat mounts back, so the seat almost touches the tailgate. Dont go to far or a hard top wont close properly. there is so much more room now.
Unread 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I moved mine back about 5" in my LJ. Just drilled new holes in the bottom plate/bracket. The seat will fit between the tightest part of the fender wells.
35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
JSahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hey thanks for the help.. i dont have a hard top so that shouldnt be a big problem with clearing that... i think ill start this little projec today
Unread 01-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Onion22
2005 LJ Wrangler 

just wondering if you have to remove the gas tank when relocating the rear seat...anyone?

White Rubi LJ, 6spd, 35" BFG KM2's My LJ Build Attempt
Onion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #10
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion22 View Post
just wondering if you have to remove the gas tank when relocating the rear seat...anyone?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to, on the LJ anyways.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
timdastis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

for a little bit i had mine facing backwards...no1 ever rode back there and it gave me some additional storage space and it looked neat

4" Franken Lift | 1" Daystar BL | Rancho Shocks | Iggee Seats | Cragar Soft 8s | 35" BFG MT | Yukon 4.88s | Smittybilt XRC8 Winch | AtoZ Front Bumper | Nate 4x4 Rear | KC Daylites | more to come
timdastis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSahara00 View Post
Has anybody ever moved there rear seat back so that full grown people could fit in it? i took it out of the brackets and just left it in the back against the door and it made tons of room for the passengers and made for a comfy ride for them... Thanks for the input in advance
I moved my LJ seat back 2" when I first got it so more than rug rats could sit there. My drivers seat is moved back 2" as well. On my '06 LJ the seat folds so it sits on brackets that allow it to pivot and lock. I used the existing bolts and bolt holes and just re-drill the brackets. This places the rear bolts close to the locking mechanism so I had to grind a little off the top of the bolts. No big deal at all. The center seat belt was too short once after I moved the seat so I built a 1/4" X 1 1/2" plate with 2 holes in it 2" apart. The front hole bolts to the original seat belt bolt hole, and the rear was drilled through the tub and a new bolt was used there to mount the belt. I don't know if the seat will go back this easy on a TJ, but it was duck soup on my LJ.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
dexetr30
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just keep the back seat in the garage. That way people don't ask for rides. The ones who do ask sit on the floor and always have plenty of leg room.
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Flex-A-Lite electric fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, Rubi susp, 3/4" Daystar BB.
dexetr30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #14
Onion22
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about looking for a set of extra seat brackets so i could have 2 possible locations for my rear seat, one alllll the way back 4 when the tops off and the regular, but i think my brackets for the LJ are too long and i dont have enough room to make a second set... i may have to play around

White Rubi LJ, 6spd, 35" BFG KM2's My LJ Build Attempt
Onion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #15
ih8pepl73
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I realize this is an old thread but I've been wanting to do this myself. If I remove the rear seat brackets from the floor and drill new holes, what do the bolts screw into? Are there plates under the bracket that need to be moved too? How hard are they to reach through the rear fender wells.

Any and all help is useful. Pics are better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TwStD_1 View Post
Procrastination's a lot like masturbation. It's all fun and games until you realize you're only screwing yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
The lines on half doors make extra sex compared to full doors
ih8pepl73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.