Rear seat latch...Missing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear seat latch...Missing?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 08-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Squidbait
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rear seat latch...Missing?

I was bouncing along the other day and noticed some noise coming from the back of the Jeep. I figured out it was my rear seat bouncing up and down. The latch to fold the seat down is present, but it looks like I am missing something that prevents the entire seat from rotating forward. Not sure if the previous owner removed them, or if they broke. Please take a look at the pics and let me know what I am missing. Maybe someone can post what their TJ latch mechanism looks like.

Well, I guess I can't post pictures from work...I will when I get home. Any pics provided would be great!

Squidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is the pivot bar in both of it's corresponding brackets on right & left wheel wells and secured on each side by the hitch pins?
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
Squidbait
2007 JK Wrangler 

I was able to post the pictures.

There are brackets on each wheel well that look like something is suppose to hook into it, but nothing does. So, with the seat down, if I push on the rear of the seat toward the front of the vehicle, it pivots forward at the front of the seat. Hope this makes sense.
img_2824.jpg   img_2825.jpg   img_2826.jpg  
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
nickfast
2003 WJ 

The pins go into those latches when you have the seat back fully open.
Try pushing the seat back towards the rear of the jeep-should latch in once you get it far enough back.
If it does not latch in, try hitting the release and then pushing the seat back again.

Nick
nickfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Squidbait
2007 JK Wrangler 

I originally figured that was how it was intended to work, as those pins are on the same plane as the receptors on the wheel well. But, once the pin locks with the seat fully open, it is still several inches rearward of the wheel well brackets. It is like the seat is too far rearward, or the brackets are too far forward. I must be missing something.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had this SAME exact problem as well when I first bought my Jeep
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/re...nting-1008785/

Turns out it was missing the bottom latch.
So I went our and bought a new backseat with new brackets
JUST went out and snapped some pics so..

That bracket doesn't seem to do anything at all that I can see. In the newer seat there is no prong and with the older brown seat we had, nothing touched that bracket either???
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Squidbait
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Tinga. So, with the "new" seat, is it still free to pivot up and down? I think that seat prong IS suppose to latch into the bracket on the wheel well.
Unread 08-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #8
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. Make sure the seat is mounted proprly in the front brackets. The lower rod on the seat should go through the brackets. The top rod/pins rest in the reliefs on the bracket when seat is folded forward.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Squidbait
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep, double checked, the lower rod is properly installed. This is a head scratcher.....
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfast View Post
The pins go into those latches when you have the seat back fully open.
Try pushing the seat back towards the rear of the jeep-should latch in once you get it far enough back.
If it does not latch in, try hitting the release and then pushing the seat back again.

Nick
No the pins don't go in the latches.There is a detent at each end of the round pivot bar that the hinge pins clip into!You install the pins when the seat is tumbled forward.After that you pull the bacl of seat to floorboard than it latches on the driverside.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the brackets mounted to the floor may be in backwards . I had mine out to recarpet the rear floor area and when I reinstalled them they would do the same thing . I think I had to swap them from side to side or turn them around hmmmm well just play with them youll figure it out .
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yea. Check the brackets. I put mine backwards the first time i removed them too.
Unread 08-18-2010, 02:15 PM   #13
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Can you say "FSM" It almost sounds like your not beginning with installing the seat itself in the proper fold and tumble position?It is really simple once you figure it out?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.