Rear seat with headrests - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear seat with headrests

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
jamborick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear seat with headrests

My kids are coming out of cars seats and I'd feel better with headrests in the back seat. The only one I can find us Bestop Trailmax II. Anyone know of another option. I don't usually like choosing the best from a field of 1

jamborick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a new seat, I don't have anything to add. But consider this low cost, easy solution...

Go to the junkyard and find some headrests in the size and color you like. Drill holes in the seat frame, install. I used an old soldering iron to burn holes in the seat foam and through the fabric, it made perfect holes. You can secure the headrest posts multiple ways, but I left mine so I could slide them on/off. I've seen others put an extra crossmember on the seat frame so the headrest posts slide through the frame and new crossmember, but I don't believe it's necessary. I've seen many different makes/models seats disassembled and the factory seats with adjustable headrests are built the same way. Holes or small tubes welded to the top of the seat frame...no extra bracing.

ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
jamborick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent idea! Thanks a lot
jamborick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
estebanshadow1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Asi es como quedó mi asiento trasero, pertenecen a una chrysler voyager, el color es identico al interior de mi jeep.
estebanshadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That is a great idea!
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
PDoyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

There was a thread posted a couple years ago on this install. The guy used head rests from a Hummer. The looked great. I've had an Ebay search for a while on Hummer headrests. I've seen them go for as low as $40. a set FYI.
BTW, great install OP.
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
miketrock
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you got in a bad wreck, could those black steel posts impale somebody if things got bent? Looks like there should be a second cross support down lower so they stay confined and straight in a wreck. Otherwise, yeah, pretty cool idea.
miketrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketrock View Post
If you got in a bad wreck, could those black steel posts impale somebody if things got bent? Looks like there should be a second cross support down lower so they stay confined and straight in a wreck. Otherwise, yeah, pretty cool idea.
If the wreck is bad enough to bend the seat to the point the ends of the head-rest could impale someome, I would think you have much much worse problems.

I do like over-kill, so adding a support bar is a cool idea.
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Sahara0643

You can get the Corbeau rear bench with headrests.

Chris

2005 Sahara LJ
Currie Arms, 2" BB, Savvy Under Armor
AtoZ Full Weld in Cage, Trxus MT 285/75 on MOABs
Sahara0643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/po...l#post14079654

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.