Rear Seat Headrest Mod Write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Seat Headrest Mod Write-up

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Seat Headrest Mod Write-up

• Purchase headrests:
    • I bought mine on eBay. They were out of an H3 (sacrilegious, I know) and while not a perfect match, the color was close and the price was right. I had spent some time at the junk yard and there was nothing close, and they wanted way too much for dirty old headrests. I paid $31 shipped and they are brand new.
  • Get to know your seat frame:
    • You can see what the frame looks like in this diagram:
  • Getting the seat cover off:
    • Unbolt the top half of the seat using a T-45 torx bit. Set the bottom half aside. Now, working with the top half, unzip the zipper and remove the seat frame from the cushion. Once the frame is removed, you can separate the cover from the cushion. At first, I didn’t think the cover would come off, but it is attached with very strong Velcro. Separate the Velcro and remove the cover from the cushion.
  • Modifying the frame:
    • The best method I could come up with involved drilling the top tube of the seat frame to allow the headrest posts to pass through. Not only did this provide a guide for the posts, it also centered the headrest fore/aft with the seat back. My headrest posts were 7/16” in diameter. Make sure the holes are drilled very straight.
    • Adding a lower guide/support to the frame is the biggest job. I welded a 1” x 1” square tube into the seat frame to act as a lower guide/support. The headrest posts also pass through this guide so it needs to be drilled to the correct diameter (7/16” in my scenario).
    • The lower brace should be placed high enough that the headrest posts pass all the way through and protrude maybe 1”. In my case, that was about 4” below the top tube of the seat frame.
    • Hint, make sure you mark the frame as to which side is the front and which side is the rear. In my case, the headrest posts have a slight bend so the holes end up being somewhat “directional.”
    • Clean up the frame and touch it up with some self-etching primer.
  • Modifying the cushion:
    • Now that you’ve added a lower brace to the seat frame, you need to cut a channel in the cushion to allow for correct fitment. I just put the cushion on the frame and marked it with a sharpie. Get out the utility knife and cut the channel. Check often for the correct depth.
    • You also need to cut a small channel where the headrest posts will occupy the space between the top of the seat frame and the new lower guide. I put the head rests in the frame and again marked with a sharpie where to cut. I cut a small v-channel about 7/16” deep.
    • Next you need to punch holes in the top of the cushion where the posts pass through. Use an ice pick or something similar and press through the cushion where the posts should pass through.
  • Modifying the seat cover:
    • Put the seat cover back on the cushion. Make sure it’s on nice and straight. You will be cutting the cover where the posts pass through, so you don’t want to mess this step up.
    • Put the frame into the cushion.
    • I used a 3/8” drill bit and placed it in the frame (in the cover) and pressed it up through the top tube of the frame, through the cushion and pressed it against the seat cover. Just to clarify, the drill bit is taking the path of the headrest post, only it is coming from the inside of the seat out (bottom to top). Grab your utility knife and cut a small slit (1/8” or so). Alternately you can mark the spot with a sharpie, but I wanted to do the first cut while I could feel the drill bit location. When doing this step, hold the seat cover/cushion and make sure that it is in place so your cut is accurate.
    • If you haven’t already, remove the drill bit. Double check your marks. I placed a small piece of clear duct tape over the place where the cut will be made. Hopefully this will prevent the hole from tearing or fraying. Cut a small + at the mark. Check the size with the headrest post and adjust until the hole is large enough of the post to pass through. Obviously you want the hole to be as small as possible.
  • Install the headrests:
    • Install the headrests. Mine were tight enough that I didn’t need to do anything to secure them in the seat. However, I had purchased some 7/16” lock collars just in case.
    • Zip up the seat cover and bolt the seat halves back together.
    • Reinstall seat
    • You’re done!
  • Things to consider:
    • My TJ is a '97
    • This mod will affect your fold and tumble action. You can still fold and tumble, but you have to either slide both front seats forward, or remove the headrests. Totally worth it to me.
    • The headrests feel very solid and I feel much better knowing that my boys have some support for their neck in case anything should happen.
    • Sorry I don’t have more pics off the process. I was in a hurry to get this done as I was heading out of town for the weekend.
    • Any modification to the seat frame could affect the safety performance of the vehicle. This is a standard disclaimer to say, do this mod at your own risk. I won’t be held liable for this idea, your actions or your safety.

EDIT: Sorry I don't have pics anymore. They were lost during a server transfer.

Last edited by Dogman; 05-31-2007 at 10:34 AM..
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Nice
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
frankske_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Indeed, very nice job. Thx for a good idea. I'm gonna start looking for a used back seat to cover the headrests with the same material.
frankske_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
AZG23

Ive been planning this same exact thing...thanks! Ive been looking for headrests but didnt wanna pay $100 for em...LOL

"If you cant understand that, your face needs to be set ablaze with kerosene and promptly put out with a wet brick."
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #5
Forrest_bell
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't even have a back seat and I like this mod!
Forrest_bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

amazingly amazing
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #7
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

very nice and I don't use my backseat
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool... I printed this out as I may do it later. So far only my wife has ridden in the back several short times, but it's smart for anyone that rides back there a lot.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
CapnDik
2008 JK Wrangler 

From another no-backseat jeeper:

Nice work!
Unread 05-27-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

very nice indeed, but to bad my back seat is used maybe 5 times a year, but still kool

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 06:05 PM   #11
4UP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is so freaking sweet! Been thinking about doing the same. I've seen these headrest on ebay. Thank you for the step by step. Peace, J.
4UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
4UP
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you purchase the lock collars? Are you able to adjust the headrest?
4UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 07:54 PM   #13
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4UP
Where did you purchase the lock collars? Are you able to adjust the headrest?
I bought the lock collars at Tacoma Screw. It's just a faster store like Fastenal, etc. They look like this:

I suppose I could adjust the height, but I didn't really design it that way. I would have maybe an inch or two of adjustability because of where I mounted the support.
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
mrsnicks

Went to the link for the store and got a "Does not exist" message.

Patrick
mrsnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great job. That looks awesome. I imagine I will have to do this mod someday when my boy gets out of his car seat and into the real one. I actually wish someone just made a replacement seat like this. I'm not very good at fabricating things and I can't weld. But for the safety of my child I will do this someday. Thanks for the excellent writeup.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.