Rear RE Monotubes shocks question (may be dumb but..) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear RE Monotubes shocks question (may be dumb but..)

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Rear RE Monotubes shocks question (may be dumb but..)

I just received today the rear RE Monotubes i was waiting for, i've already installed the front ones and noticed a huge handling improvment over my old SkyJ. Nitro's 8000. Now the front ones were quite stiff, at least by trying to compress'em by hands. The rear ones are much more softer, it's that normal? Btw even can up, those shocks will hit the springs perches under flex, not the rod, the can, maybe i'll just grind a bit the spring perches, something wrong doing this way to clear them?. The shock boot is really necesary? i would like them much more "naked"...

However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
[ITA]Tsunami

2006 TJ Wrangler 

bump567890
However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
Unread 05-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem in the rear, and apparently I wasn't the only one when I asked the same question. Sometimes the can would come smashing down into the spring perch. Whenever I hit a bump where this happened, it felt like I bottomed out on something.

The easiest fix would be to just notch the spring perch to give the shock enough room.
rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
[ITA]Tsunami

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes actually it's a common problem when you set up the pinion angle for a CV DS application. Now what about the rear shocks softer than the front ones? It's that normal? and the boot it's really necesary?
Unread 05-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #5
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I am not sure on the boot, however if your angles are correct.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
rjt36
2009 JK Wrangler 

I don't run a boot and I've had zero problems. As for the rear being a little softer than the fronts, I'm not absolutely positive. I never really noticed. It could be possible that they are easier to push in, but I can't give you a definitive answer.
rjt36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
airframer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ok the fronts have to be stiffer since they suport more weight(ur egine) and as far as shock boots go, i dont run em. i heard stories of mud building up inside the boot so i cut mine off after 2 months of use(mudding) ya i had a little mud but now i offroad without em, zero problems
airframer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #8
[ITA]Tsunami

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by airframer
ok the fronts have to be stiffer since they suport more weight(ur egine) and as far as shock boots go, i dont run em. i heard stories of mud building up inside the boot so i cut mine off after 2 months of use(mudding) ya i had a little mud but now i offroad without em, zero problems
Yes i heard about stories of mud, sand building inside the boot. Btw, i installed them yesterday, didn't test drive the jeep yet, i'll do it tonight. Everything went fine, i had no "horror experiences" with the upper bolts of the shocks or whatever. They looks good . I will leave them with boot for the moment, waiting for more ppl to chime in about, i heard also that if you left the shock without boot, chance are that dust can worn out the rod seal. But i like them more without boots!
Unread 05-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
paroxysym
2007 WK 

ive been running the monotubes for 2 months now and they are great compared to my old twintubes. the shock boots are not needed, they will just trap stuff in them and drestroy the shock. even mounted canister up, they never hit the spring perches or springs when flexed out when i wheeled. they flex nicely. they are a softer shock, but they are a hell of alot offroad and onroad friendly than most.
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
HitIt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed 4 mono tubes. I think the rears were softer looking back.

They ride great, firm but not punishing. I drive my jeep on lots of faster desert type roads. Quite well damped when you get your axle moving over chatter bumps.

I left my boots on, but everyone says they aren't needed. My shocks mount can-up, so that makes piston rod is exposed to all the road debris and sand, which could lead to pitting and a leaky shock. No grime is on the shock or piston rod, but it does collect a bit in the boot.
HitIt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know about the fronts being stiffer... but I imagine the front spring rate is higher so the stiffer spring would make sense with all that weight up there.

I just cut a notch in the spring bucket to clear the shocks in the rear... I'll try and get pics soon, someone asked for them in another thread also.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
[ITA]Tsunami

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neZZr
I don't know about the fronts being stiffer... but I imagine the front spring rate is higher so the stiffer spring would make sense with all that weight up there.

I just cut a notch in the spring bucket to clear the shocks in the rear... I'll try and get pics soon, someone asked for them in another thread also.
Thank you, some pic would be good! After installing them yesterday i noticed that the can doen't reach neither touch the spring bucket, btw it's really close to it. But i have to see how it is under flex (this weekend).
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have RE's monotube shocks and they are mounted can-up in the rear to give more clearance away from the axle. NO there is no problem running them like that, I verified it would be fine to do so with RE before mounting them that way. I have run all my rear shocks that way since installing the CV driveshaft. Not all types of shocks can be run upside-down but the ones I have run were fine with that.

Personally I never run shock boots. I don't want all the debris that gets trapped inside those boots unable to be washed away away from the seals and struts.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ITA]Tsunami
Thank you, some pic would be good! After installing them yesterday i noticed that the can doen't reach neither touch the spring bucket, btw it's really close to it. But i have to see how it is under flex (this weekend).
From what I could tell when I was grinding... I believe they come closer under full droop.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #15
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ITA]Tsunami
it wont touch....

didnt touch when i did this..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.