Rear Pinion - Currie CA's Lowers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Pinion - Currie CA's Lowers

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Rear Pinion - Currie CA's Lowers

So I am almost done with the installation of the 4" Currie w/AR and a UCF 1" deep skid. Knowing that this system puts the Rear shaft as a steep angle, I know I need to get the angle dialed in close. I called up Currie and they said the longest their Rear Upper CA's can be eye-to-eye is 14.5 inches. I lengthened the Rear Uppers close to 14.5" (actually less than .25" short of 14.5"), so I'm maxed out on the uppers. My lowers are just a shade over 15 ". Right now my pinion is just over 20 deg and the DS is at of just over 25 deg.

I'm having trouble shortening the lowers because the bolt is not able to be removed easily. So, my question, Is there any tips or tricks to make it easier to get the assembly loose without removing the coils and shocks? Or do I need to remover the coils and/or shocks to do it? (I didn't need to remove anything for uppers just jack the axle up or down to get those bolts loose.)

Thank you for any help

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I couldn't get my Currie uppers to do 14.5" safely. Have you pulled the joint out? On the Currie's I had, there wasn't enough thread engagement past about 13.75". Thats why I ended up going with Rokmen arms, they have a better length selection.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I couldn't get my Currie uppers to do 14.5" safely. Have you pulled the joint out? On the Currie's I had, there wasn't enough thread engagement past about 13.75". Thats why I ended up going with Rokmen arms, they have a better length selection.
I considered the Rokmen arms too. I haven't pulled the joint out I had just been going on what the Currie people said. I know I probably should but was hoping I wouldn't need to. Hmmm. Any suggestion on the lowers that are hard to get out?

Any chance the Currie arms design/fab/etc has changed since you got yours

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]

Last edited by UncleWilson; 10-19-2010 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: add
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue. I ended up returning the Currie rear uppers and replaced them with Rokmen.

(2.5" Rancho suspension, 1" UCF skid, 1" MML)
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
So I am almost done with the installation of the 4" Currie w/AR and a UCF 1" deep skid. Knowing that this system puts the Rear shaft as a steep angle, I know I need to get the angle dialed in close. I called up Currie and they said the longest their Rear Upper CA's can be eye-to-eye is 14.5 inches. I lengthened the Rear Uppers close to 14.5" (actually less than .25" short of 14.5"), so I'm maxed out on the uppers. My lowers are just a shade over 15 ". Right now my pinion is just over 20 deg and the DS is at of just over 25 deg.

I'm having trouble shortening the lowers because the bolt is not able to be removed easily. So, my question, Is there any tips or tricks to make it easier to get the assembly loose without removing the coils and shocks? Or do I need to remover the coils and/or shocks to do it? (I didn't need to remove anything for uppers just jack the axle up or down to get those bolts loose.)

Thank you for any help
What size are your tires?
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Dr_Jim
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Out of curiosity....is this with the stock shaft?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a similar setup....I have a 1"BL,...going to do a HC skid and the currie 4" with antirock......is this some potential issue?

Concerned??
Dr_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Blane - The Idea is to go to 35"s once it's running again, but for now it's on the 31"s

Dr_Jim - No I ordered a Tom Wood's shaft for the rear.

Potential Problem - I just got off the phone with currie and they said if the Pinion is greater than 15-16 deg you wiill burn up the pinion bearings. So, maybe 4" with TT was a Bad Idea.... I'm not sure. What is an appropriate short arm max pinion angle?

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
Dr_Jim
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmm.....I will eagerly await someone to explain the deal here.

What is the possible issue with a 4" lift and a TT? Surely that is a common setup? Currie arms or not? If its a pinion angle issue....then 4" + TT would require a high angle regardless of arms.....

Hopefully someone will explain the obvious, simple, solution to this......
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a very similar setup, except you have a Rubi transfer case and I have a 231, I installed a JB Conversions Super Short SYE.

My pinion angle is somewhere between 15-19 degrees, I can't give you an exact right now I have it on a lift with the trans out.

Your going to have to be careful with how far back you push your rear axle, it's going to be fine with the 31's you have now but once you throw 35's on and flex it will make contact with your tub. 35's really fill up your wheel wells and there's very little room to play with.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Dr_Jim
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting info.

This still does concern me though. There surely is a basic/standard solution to a 4" lift + TT on 35's.....sounds like an incredibly common setup. Figured it would be boilerplate by now......
Unread 10-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
TJRoberto
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Jim View Post
Interesting info.

This still does concern me though. There surely is a basic/standard solution to a 4" lift + TT on 35's.....sounds like an incredibly common setup. Figured it would be boilerplate by now......
I am planning on doing the same set up are you, I already have the Currie arms in the garage waiting to be installed, but now I'm think if I am going to have the same problem as you with the 1" TT from UCF.

Right now I am running 35" tire, 3" Nth Degree springs

I hope you get this figured out, to learn from your experience.

Good luck
TJRoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #12
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

HMMM... Pinion greater than 15 deg.? I'm going home and check mine now. I bought the Super Short SYE so I would less angle than normal SYE. Also I put on a Solid dif. cover, the fill hole is higher, so i can get enough lube in.
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #13
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

im at 15 deg. right now. stock skid plate, super short sye, 15.75 in. lowers. i was going to shorten my lowers because my 35s rub the rear of my wheel wells. i dont see how you could get less than 15 deg.
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well I've decided to drop the1" deep skid by an inch with square tubing. Then will assess the pinion angle. So I should have listened to my gut and either gotten the 3" AEV coils or the UCF original 2" deep skid.

If anyone building a low cg lift wants to trade a UCF 2" deep skid for the UCF 1" let me know!

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
Unread 10-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
Well I've decided to drop the1" deep skid by an inch with square tubing.
i'm selling a nice 1" t-case drop kit:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...06-tj-1116030/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arm , control arm bolt , currie , lower control arms , pinion angle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.