Rear passenger wheel/brake leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear passenger wheel/brake leak

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
kllrbee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rear passenger wheel/brake leak

Hey guys
There is a leak on the passenger side rear brake/wheel. I cant tell if its brake or diff fluid cuz its not a dripping leak....its just kind of caked onto the back of the wheel and plate. Im thinking wheel cylinder or axle seal. Any advice on how to determine which one before I dig in? I havent done any work on drum brakes for a long time so I forgot whether or not a leaking cylinder will be obvious from visual inspection. And ive never dealt with an axle seal so dont know what to look for at all.
Thnx

kllrbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Smell the fluid... Real nasty is gear oil, nothing to a slight metal smell, brake.

But in case your sniffer not work, pop drum off and look. You will see the problem real quick
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
kllrbee
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thnx...its hard to tell cuz its not very liquid like. Its just caked onto the area. FWIW, there is no smell. And if it matters, its only on half of the plate....the side where e brake goes in.
kllrbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

brake most likely. go ahead and get a big container of brake fluid and when you swap the wheel cylinder to both sides and if the brakes not new do those too. And flush the brake system...
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.