rear main seal leak and exhaust leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear main seal leak and exhaust leak?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
paroxysym
2007 WK 

rear main seal leak and exhaust leak?

crawled under the jeep this weekend to do an oil change. noticed what looked like oil on the bottom of the tranny where it meas the endgine i suppose. it wasnt leaking but it had some oil collected on there and a small drop or two. i just wiped away what was there and went back to the oil change. how do i fix this? could i use rtv sealant or is there a gasket?

after that went and took it to meineke, they fixed an exhaust leak i had and moved my tailpipe over alittle. they said i had two leaks, fixed one- and showed me where the other was since they couldnt tell where the other was. they said it could be a manifold gasket or an exhaust donut? now i still have a ticking when i start my jeep and at idle. it sounds worse when you give it gas and are moving but it goes away when it warms up. they said the manifold is fine. any chance its the gasket or donut? thanks guys.

Unread 01-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
paroxysym
2007 WK 

anyone???

btt
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i just had same issue, was actually oil pan gasket, from over tightening, i thought is was main seal as well, if main seal you cant use RTV, and oil pan gasket you might as well get gasket, alot easier

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
paroxysym
2007 WK 

well that could solve one problem. now the exhaust... it was ticking for maybe 10 seconds when i went out for lunch then went away... but you hear it driving, just not as loud. im hoping its not the manifold as it only has 65k on it and is a 2002. any suggestions?
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I really doubt it is your manifold. I've never heard of them cracking on a newer model like yours.

You could try to feel for the leak. Obviously you have to be very careful. Let it sit and get good and cold. Then start it up and immediately feel around the collector as it will get hot real quick. You should be able to tell if its leaking there.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

where exactly is the collector?
Unread 01-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
where exactly is the collector?
Its right at the bottom of the header. It will have 2 bolts on it.

This pic should help:

Its right there where you see the 2 bolts above the word "exhaust manifold".
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.