rear main seal leak ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > rear main seal leak ?

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!

Unread 02-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
04jeep-randy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

rear main seal leak ?

I have a 2004 Wrangler with the 2.4 liter and auto trans. How hard is this rear main seal to change. My jeep is only leaving small drops of oil on the garage floor and has just started in the last couple of days. I checked the oil drain plug and will watch for a couple more days. Can you see the seal if you remove the inspection plate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy

SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #26
/|_,[______],
|---L -OIIIIIIIO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)

GEORGIA JEEP CLUB
2004 JEEP TJ 2.4 L
04jeep-randy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure about the 2.4 but the 4.0 is very easy to change and somebody once told me they were similar as far as changing the rear main seal goes. you remove the oil pan and the brace across the bottom end and remove the bearing cap (2 bolts) that is at the rear of the engine and the seal is right there. that is if you have the 2 piece seal like the 4.0 just be careful putting the seal in that you dont cut it on the sharp machined edge. this is all of course assuming the procedure is similar to the 4.0

[Repair] Rear Main Seal Replacement
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nevermind me. i just read on another forum the 2.4 is a little more involved than the 4.0. i guess the guy who told me the rms was similar between the two was wrong.
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
04jeep-randy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well thanks for the try epeck87. I'm still hoping the drain plug was seeping. my last oil change was at a tire shop. Randy
/|_,[______],
|---L -OIIIIIIIO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)

GEORGIA JEEP CLUB
2004 JEEP TJ 2.4 L
Unread 02-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
dlporter
2011 JK Wrangler 

Look up between the transmission and engine and you will be able to tell whether or not it's your rms. If there is oil seepage, it will be pretty apparent. It will go all the way up to where the seal is. Oil won't get all the way up there if it is just your drain plug leaking. I just had mine done under warranty, but just like you I started seeing small spots on my garage floor.
dlporter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
dougiefresh131
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i have this problem now. you mentioned that it isn't difficult at all to replace, yet the local mechanic said the transmission needed to be dropped to get to it. i'm pretty sure he isn't out to get my money, as he has been doing all of my family's cars for awhile now.
dougiefresh131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
04jeep-randy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got it up on the rack and pulled the transmission inspection plate and the flywheel was clean, no oil at all. It seems to be coming down from the backside of the engine on the passenger side and has since stopped leaking. Maybe just a fluke but I keep an eye on it anyway. Thanks, Randy
/|_,[______],
|---L -OIIIIIIIO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)

GEORGIA JEEP CLUB
2004 JEEP TJ 2.4 L
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
jeffb_79
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiefresh131 View Post
i have this problem now. you mentioned that it isn't difficult at all to replace, yet the local mechanic said the transmission needed to be dropped to get to it. i'm pretty sure he isn't out to get my money, as he has been doing all of my family's cars for awhile now.
Your local mechanic is an idiot.
On most vehicles yes, the transmission or the engine need to be pulled.
On the jeep 4.0 the RMS is a 2 piece seal that can be accessed after removing the oil pan.
The jeep dealership should charge around $500. Doing it yourself should be a 4-7 hr job depending on your mechanical skills.
There's plenty of good write ups out there.
jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
2004jeepwj

Hey

Hey im new to this Forum Realy like it.
I have a (2004 jeep grand cherokee V8 4x4 special edition trail rated) and i think my rms is leaking. Between the transmition and engine where they conect i have no clue if i can change it my self.is it one piece or 2 piece ?
2004jeepwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb_79 View Post
Your local mechanic is an idiot.
On most vehicles yes, the transmission or the engine need to be pulled.
On the jeep 4.0 the RMS is a 2 piece seal that can be accessed after removing the oil pan.
The jeep dealership should charge around $500. Doing it yourself should be a 4-7 hr job depending on your mechanical skills.
There's plenty of good write ups out there.
In his first post he said he has the 2.4L engine. This engine is the same basic engine thats used in the PTCruiser. It has a 1-Piece rear main seal and can only be replaced by removing either the transmission or the engine.

Most people Opt to remove the transmission.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004jeepwj View Post
Hey im new to this Forum Realy like it.
I have a (2004 jeep grand cherokee V8 4x4 special edition trail rated) and i think my rms is leaking. Between the transmition and engine where they conect i have no clue if i can change it my self.is it one piece or 2 piece ?
Welcome aboard, but this question would probably be best in the appropriate forum - WJ Grand Cherokee Tech.

From what I recall of that engine, it's a two-piece rear main seal, but don't quote me on that.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.