Rear Inner fender removal + Paint + trim fender flares - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Inner fender removal + Paint + trim fender flares

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear Inner fender removal + Paint + trim fender flares

I started taking my fender flares off.
Now I see what everybody is talking about.

To get the rears off I had to remove the inner shroud.
It has a bunch of body clips.

What are the inner shrouds for other than a mud storage and rust garden?
What would be the harm in leaving them off?

Not one of my pickup trucks ever had a rear fender liner..... They all have a similar inner shape and parts back there...

I plan to leave the shrouds off .
Look into better style fasteners.
Cut/trim the flares for clearance...... mildly ..
Paint them with Duplicolor plastic bumper paint.
Plus paint other plastic parts. Headlight bezel , lisence , Bumpers ............
Remove bumper-ets and Bumper ends..

I also have an idea to add a fender welt like on VW bugs ... Too help keep dirt out from behind the flare and maybe add some style...

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Tractor Boy
1977 CJ5 

Inner Fender Removal

I too scraped the back of my hands up trying to mount new flares on my TJ. I finally took the inner fenders out and put them in my barn. They're not going back on. When I removed them, they were storing a bunch of sand. I plan on cleaning up under there and then shooting some body undercoating in there like I did on my CJ. It looks a whole lot better, it's quieter and doesn't store dirt.
Tractor Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quieter ??

I don't see how that would make it quieter??

Thats a good idea .... paint the inner fender with bed liner too protect and beautify.

Any body else remove there inner shrouds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy View Post
I too scraped the back of my hands up trying to mount new flares on my TJ. I finally took the inner fenders out and put them in my barn. They're not going back on. When I removed them, they were storing a bunch of sand. I plan on cleaning up under there and then shooting some body undercoating in there like I did on my CJ. It looks a whole lot better, it's quieter and doesn't store dirt.
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

they have been gone for a long time.
Unread 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Turner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Motorbike View Post
I don't see how that would make it quieter??

Thats a good idea .... paint the inner fender with bed liner too protect and beautify.

Any body else remove there inner shrouds??
The underbody coat, will help with noise, and heat, but it is very minimal in such a small area. That said, I did the exact same thing on my YJ. Much easier to clean, and not store mud, dirt, sand.

Also, spray the fender wells with wd-40 or something similar often. Especially before you wheel. Makes it much easier to clean up afterwards.

1970 Ford Bronco302, dana 30, 9", 3 on the tree, show stopper.
Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yep learned that one on dirtbikes...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Also, spray the fender wells with wd-40 or something similar often. Especially before you wheel. Makes it much easier to clean up afterwards.

Unread 01-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's just to keep the noise down and protect the EVAP canister (not really an issue on a TJ from what I can see). I've had mine out for 2 years and aside from the occasional rock being tossed into the fender well and giving a loud thwack sound, there have been no ill effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Painted today

I already had the fenders off and trimmed them a week ago.

I washed the jeep , Clean all the parts with PASO its a painters sanding prep. found at HomDepo.

I then sprayed them with Duplicolors adhesive promoter clear primer.

Then I sprayed them with Duplicolors plastic bumper paint.
I got them all painted but wasn't happy with the coverage so I went to get more at the store.

While there I saw Duplicolors bed liner paint , I thought I'd spray under the wheel wells while I was at it.
I also thought that if it looked good I'd use it on the rest of the stuff.

The Bed Liner sprayed on thick and even and laid out great.
The bumper stuff didn't spray out good , and it was hard to get coverage and seemed to pile up if you over lapped or slowed down ...

SO I repainted everything with the bed liner stuff.

I did the Fender Flares , Bumpers , Sway Bar Cover , Wheel Wells , Door Latches , Headlight Bezel , Hood Clamps , License Plate Holder and the little plastic triangle thing on the door window , Butt I left that in the bumper paint .

I also got some paint touch up at the dealer,,,,,pen/brush....
And in the mists of everything I was doing that..... AADD....

I still may do the rear Door latch , Radio Antenna and the Door Threshold tomorrow.. Plus more touchup ..
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #9
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

P.s.

I removed the fenders to trim and found 1/8" of mud behind them and a little rust from were the dirt was wearing away at the paint.

I masked off the door handles and window thing.
I removed the hood latches ...... the paint came of the rubber when I latched the hood thou .. still looks good..
I removed the license plate holder.

I also clean up the paint behind that stuff with polish then cleaned ......OCD...
In my defense it made it easier to inspect for potential rust spots.

Man I can't wait to see what it all looks like on the Jeep in the day light.
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got PIX!

OK here is some Before Shots

Side shot for color difference

Painted Trimmed Closeup

The Day I got It

With painted and Trimmed Fenders

Headlight Bezels

Hood Latch

Door latch

Window thingy

Wheel Wells

Unread 01-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
02gixxersix
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great. I'm gonna do my entire frame and everything.....at least what's visible as soon as I get another nice warm day. Makes such a huge difference.
Black 2000 TJ Sport - NV3550 - 30/44 w/ 3.73s - Currie Currectlink Steering - 35" ATs (for now) - 2003 engine and tranny swap - XRC8 - Homebrew Winch Plate - Uniden Pro520XL - Electric Fan - Lock-right in front
(not installed)
02gixxersix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Rick_Fury
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Good job, Mike_Motorbike!

I need to paint my door handles as well. What did you use to mask off the door handles and window triangles?

Did you have any problem with the door handle opening up after you sprayed paint into the assembly?

Did you remove your tires to pain the frame?
Rick_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #13
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I roughly taped around them then cut off the excess tape with a sharp knife.
Then mashed with paper around that.

The door latch operation was unaffected .

No I just sprayed the wheel well with the tire on , I just sprayed as far down as I could reach and see. Not the whole frame.......
Unread 04-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had some chipping .
Not sure if its flaking of or if rocks are coming of the tires and chipping.

I just masked of a small area sanded prepped and touched up the little areas.
For the tiny ones I just hit with a sharpy pen.
Unread 06-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #15
Mike_Motorbike
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The fenders continue to flake and fade.

BUTT the bumpers and every thing else I painted with the same paint still looks great.

I think all those years the Previous owner put back to black on its still coming up under the paint.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.