Rear Engine Coolant Leak :( - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear Engine Coolant Leak :(

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
MrMiyagi

Rear Engine Coolant Leak :(

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 4.0L TJ that's developed a coolant leak. There is a steady drip that's coming off between where the rear engine and tranny meet, but I can't pinpoint where the hell it's coming from as the space is too tight. Anyone have ideas or a link to a diagram to help me pinpoint where to look? I've heard there are two freezer plugs in the back? Not sure if there is coolant hosing or another part back there that might be the source of the leak.

Hopefully it's nothing serious like a cracked block or something?

I'm going to a buddy's garage for him to try to take a look, possibly pull the engine to get a better view. But any additional ideas would help.

Thanks,

MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Get one of those little round mirrors that are attached to a telescoping rod. You can put in tight places and with the help of a flashlight shinning onto the mirror perhaps you can see the leak.
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
fishinjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is a hose going to or from the heater core
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
4.0l sahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is a freeze plug on the back of the head.
4.0l sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It does sound like a freeze plug to me. Before you start the repair, make darn sure it is not a heater hose or something else up top leaking down.
You can take it to a shop and ask them to pressure test the cooling system, that will help pinpoint the leak.

Curly
Unread 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Whats the rest of the cooling system look like? I can't imagine a 4 yr old engine being so badly rusted that it ate a freeze plug already.

I'd take a good look at the heater hoses before tearing the Jeep apart to replace freeze plugs.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

probably the freeze plug

mine blew out on the highway covering the car behind me (he was tailgating) in coolant, got what he deserved

may wanna get it looked at so it doesnt blow!

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze , coolant , engine , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.