Rear End Vibration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear End Vibration

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-17-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
nickrad8

Rear End Vibration

I have a 99 sahara that i just replaced the frame on. the reason for the frame replacement was because of the amount of rot on the original frame. the rear upper control arms (both) rotted completely off and may have messed up my rear diff. i have a dana 35 in the rear. when i accelerate, i feel an unusual vibration from the rear end. the jeep is lifted 2.5 inches and the transmission skid is lowered about an inch. i cannot figure out the source of the vibrations. they only occur at around 1800 RPMs and 2800 RPMs. i figured the frame swap would fix the problem but it still occurs. prior to the frame replacement, i pulled the rear diff cover and noticed a lot of metallic sheen in the fluid and some sand grain sized metal shavings in the bottom. i cleaned the diff and filled with new fluid to try to see if that would help. it didnt. while i had the diff cover off, i also noticed that one of the teeth on the Ring was slightly chipped but only saw one tooth that seemed to be damage.

any ideas on how to fix this? or what may be the cause of the vibrations?

nickrad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrad8 View Post
I have a 99 sahara that i just replaced the frame on. the reason for the frame replacement was because of the amount of rot on the original frame. the rear upper control arms (both) rotted completely off and may have messed up my rear diff. i have a dana 35 in the rear. when i accelerate, i feel an unusual vibration from the rear end. the jeep is lifted 2.5 inches and the transmission skid is lowered about an inch. i cannot figure out the source of the vibrations. they only occur at around 1800 RPMs and 2800 RPMs. i figured the frame swap would fix the problem but it still occurs. prior to the frame replacement, i pulled the rear diff cover and noticed a lot of metallic sheen in the fluid and some sand grain sized metal shavings in the bottom. i cleaned the diff and filled with new fluid to try to see if that would help. it didnt. while i had the diff cover off, i also noticed that one of the teeth on the Ring was slightly chipped but only saw one tooth that seemed to be damage.

any ideas on how to fix this? or what may be the cause of the vibrations?
Get down on your knees & view the angle/relationship of the drive shaft to the pinion from the side of your rig. They need to be "inline" with each other. In other words, there should be little to no angular change between the pinion & the drive shaft at the u-joint while at ride height.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
nickrad8

so in other words where the rear diff meets the u-joint should be level with the ground and same thing where the transmission meets the u-joint? im not sure if i said that right.
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
nickrad8

do you know what angle the drive shaft should be at? and could it be the bearings in the differential? or would that cause a constant vibration at every speed/RPM?
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrad8 View Post
so in other words where the rear diff meets the u-joint should be level with the ground and same thing where the transmission meets the u-joint? im not sure if i said that right.
No...not level with the ground...

The u-joints on the end(s) of your DS allow for angularity between the DS & pinion as the axle & suspension cycles. However, while at ride height there should be little to no angulation between the pinion & the DS, while there may be some at the TC end. Also, do you have a slip yoke or SYE & CV DS, I forgot to double check your profile...?

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, I strongly encourage you to visit with a competent mechanic familiar with 4wd vehicles in your area. Or someone that's better at expressing themselves in print than I am. Good luck.

EDIT; You have to fill in your profile to get competent help...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
nickrad8

I don't believe I have an SYE I will check when I get home tonight. I will also upload a picture for you. I just looked at the FSM to see if I could find a picture of what you were talking about and I think I understand what you are saying. When the jeep is parked, the driveshaft should look like it is a solid extension from the rear end as if there was no u joint between the rear diff and drive shaft. I don't think I have a CV drive shaft either. I apologize for not having my profile filled out. I forgot to do it
Unread 10-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
nickrad8

I figured out the issue. I forgot to install the transmission skid plate spacer. Thanks for the help
Unread 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

okay so im having a similar issue. while in 3rd gear and accelerating, my jeep vibrates like its a race car or something. haha, but in all seriousness is this something i should be concerned with? the jeep has a 2.5" lift and only has 30" tires. Also, im almost certain it has spacers on the skid plate...
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
NakedCreekTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
nickrad8

does it happen while accelerating at any speed in third gear?
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yea from what I've noticed it does.
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
NakedCreekTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
differential , rear end , tj , vibes , vibration

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.