Rear end problems!!! Need help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear end problems!!! Need help!!!

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear end problems!!! Need help!!!

First off, I have an 01 wrangler sahara edition with the dana 44 rear axle and 30 front axle. I have a 4" rough country lift 3" body (wish I didn't don't give me hell). There is a popping sounds like metal hitting coming from my rear end so first of all I checked the track bar and it was loose so i tightened it up, did not stop next i noticed a bushing in my lower control arm was loose so i fixed that still no help. I also just had all my lift tightened because I thought that might be causeing it but still no help. It does the noise in turns and reverse and im completly out of things I know how to check? I also replaced axle shaft and u joint in the last year and I dont believe it is a wheel bearing!

[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]01 White jeep sahara, black rhino lined hardtop, 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" MTZ, Front tube fenders, roof rack, 3% tint around 28% on windshield, two 10's probox[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-big-jack-1337227/] [SIZE="3"]My TJ build "Big Jack"[/SIZE][/url][/CENTER]
ACB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

bump
[CENTER][FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"][CENTER]01 White jeep sahara, black rhino lined hardtop, 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" MTZ, Front tube fenders, roof rack, 3% tint around 28% on windshield, two 10's probox[/CENTER][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-tj-big-jack-1337227/] [SIZE="3"]My TJ build "Big Jack"[/SIZE][/url][/CENTER]
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
STIFLER
2005 LJ Wrangler 

when do you hear it? normal driving or articulation? drive shaft checks out?

edit: NVM I see when turning or reverse
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well since everybody knows what mcdonalds is when I go threw there drive through It pops all the all the way starting from when I turn til I complete the turn and everybody looks at me as if I have lost my axle
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check for any movement in the lower control arm bushings. Rough Country rubber bushings dont hold very long.
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Probably your spider gears. Pull the diff cover and check them out. If their bad I have a dana 44 Trac loc with 4 k on it for cheap if interested.
grnsporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTJ04 View Post
Check for any movement in the lower control arm bushings. Rough Country rubber bushings dont hold very long.
That was checked and one of my bushings was def. worn out so I ordered a new one and installed it thinking I finally figured it out and Pop goes the weisel
Unread 03-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnsporty View Post
Probably your spider gears. Pull the diff cover and check them out. If their bad I have a dana 44 Trac loc with 4 k on it for cheap if interested.
okay spider gears are next will be checking those this weekend! what all will need to be done in changing those can the moderate home mechanic do that?
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
grnsporty
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yea its easy. Look up how to install a Aussie locker. It will give you directions.
grnsporty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any other suggestions I have sometimes this weekend and want to know what all I should check and how to check it if possible I know there are a pretty good bit of people with this problem and I've searched and can't find any answers so I'm sure this will help alot of jeepers!
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB2010 View Post
Any other suggestions I have sometimes this weekend and want to know what all I should check and how to check it if possible I know there are a pretty good bit of people with this problem and I've searched and can't find any answers so I'm sure this will help alot of jeepers!
I'd recommend taking your time on the weekend to learn about punctuation.
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First thought is broken trac-bar bracket, or worn TB bushing. Check both ends.
Second thought is worn out control arm bushing(s). There's 8 back there.
Third is broken tranny mount.
Fourth is loose pinion nut
Fifth is worn or broken motor mount.

Loose body mount comes to mind, too. You have a 3" body lift? Trash/sell it, and put in a 1" - 1/4" body lift...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
First thought is broken trac-bar bracket, or worn TB bushing. Check both ends.
Second thought is worn out control arm bushing(s). There's 8 back there.
Third is broken tranny mount.
Fourth is loose pinion nut
Fifth is worn or broken motor mount.
You bring up a good point...there's still too much left unchecked. I'd go over the thing with a fine-toothed comb.

Oh, and OP, about that body lift...I know you said not to give you hell, but, well...f*** that noise. GET RID OF THE 3" BODY LIFT!!!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
ACB2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well first off im going to ignore the comment about punctuation its the internet and a forum at that? Really who cares? Your comment did not help anyone so thanks! Secondly, thank you for the real advice I will be going down that list as soon as possible and update everyone on what I find. Maybe this will help others in the future. Also body lift will go when money is available unless someone wants to donate a 6" longarm
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Also, it may sound dumb but check ur lugnuts. They make strange sounds when loose.
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dana44 , help needed , rear end noise , suspension lift , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.