JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Rear end problems!!! Need help!!! (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-end-problems-need-help-1337103/)

ACB2010 03-02-2012 01:45 PM

Rear end problems!!! Need help!!!

First off, I have an 01 wrangler sahara edition with the dana 44 rear axle and 30 front axle. I have a 4" rough country lift 3" body (wish I didn't don't give me hell). There is a popping sounds like metal hitting coming from my rear end so first of all I checked the track bar and it was loose so i tightened it up, did not stop next i noticed a bushing in my lower control arm was loose so i fixed that still no help. I also just had all my lift tightened because I thought that might be causeing it but still no help. It does the noise in turns and reverse and im completly out of things I know how to check? I also replaced axle shaft and u joint in the last year and I dont believe it is a wheel bearing!:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ACB2010 03-02-2012 02:34 PM

bump:confused:

STIFLER 03-02-2012 02:36 PM

when do you hear it? normal driving or articulation? drive shaft checks out?

edit: NVM I see when turning or reverse

ACB2010 03-02-2012 02:38 PM

well since everybody knows what mcdonalds is when I go threw there drive through It pops all the all the way starting from when I turn til I complete the turn and everybody looks at me as if I have lost my axle:o

TanTJ04 03-02-2012 02:42 PM

Check for any movement in the lower control arm bushings. Rough Country rubber bushings dont hold very long. :thumbsup:

grnsporty 03-02-2012 02:43 PM

Probably your spider gears. Pull the diff cover and check them out. If their bad I have a dana 44 Trac loc with 4 k on it for cheap if interested.

ACB2010 03-02-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanTJ04 (Post 13162985)
Check for any movement in the lower control arm bushings. Rough Country rubber bushings dont hold very long. :thumbsup:

That was checked and one of my bushings was def. worn out so I ordered a new one and installed it thinking I finally figured it out and Pop goes the weisel:(

ACB2010 03-02-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grnsporty (Post 13162994)
Probably your spider gears. Pull the diff cover and check them out. If their bad I have a dana 44 Trac loc with 4 k on it for cheap if interested.

okay spider gears are next will be checking those this weekend! what all will need to be done in changing those can the moderate home mechanic do that?:cool:

grnsporty 03-02-2012 03:15 PM

Yea its easy. Look up how to install a Aussie locker. It will give you directions.

ACB2010 03-02-2012 08:09 PM

Any other suggestions I have sometimes this weekend and want to know what all I should check and how to check it if possible I know there are a pretty good bit of people with this problem and I've searched and can't find any answers so I'm sure this will help alot of jeepers!

biffgnar 03-02-2012 08:12 PM

22 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ACB2010 (Post 13164799)
Any other suggestions I have sometimes this weekend and want to know what all I should check and how to check it if possible I know there are a pretty good bit of people with this problem and I've searched and can't find any answers so I'm sure this will help alot of jeepers!

I'd recommend taking your time on the weekend to learn about punctuation.

RaggedOleMan 03-02-2012 08:25 PM

First thought is broken trac-bar bracket, or worn TB bushing. Check both ends.
Second thought is worn out control arm bushing(s). There's 8 back there.
Third is broken tranny mount.
Fourth is loose pinion nut
Fifth is worn or broken motor mount.

Loose body mount comes to mind, too. You have a 3" body lift? Trash/sell it, and put in a 1" - 1/4" body lift...

Sundowner 03-02-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan (Post 13164886)
First thought is broken trac-bar bracket, or worn TB bushing. Check both ends.
Second thought is worn out control arm bushing(s). There's 8 back there.
Third is broken tranny mount.
Fourth is loose pinion nut
Fifth is worn or broken motor mount.

You bring up a good point...there's still too much left unchecked. I'd go over the thing with a fine-toothed comb.

Oh, and OP, about that body lift...I know you said not to give you hell, but, well...f*** that noise. GET RID OF THE 3" BODY LIFT!!! :mad:

ACB2010 03-02-2012 08:52 PM

Well first off im going to ignore the comment about punctuation its the internet and a forum at that? Really who cares? Your comment did not help anyone so thanks! Secondly, thank you for the real advice I will be going down that list as soon as possible and update everyone on what I find. Maybe this will help others in the future. Also body lift will go when money is available unless someone wants to donate a 6" longarm

TanTJ04 03-02-2012 08:56 PM

Also, it may sound dumb but check ur lugnuts. They make strange sounds when loose.

The time now is 11:58 PM.