Rear end normal operating temperature - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear end normal operating temperature

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
IronDuke666
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rear end normal operating temperature

What is the normal operating temp on the Dana 35 rearend?? I changed the pinion seal and diff cover gasket and put new gear oil in.
I marked the pinion nut, yoke and 3rd member, and when I went to tighten down the nut after seal replacement I couldnt get the mark on the nut back in its original placement maybe around 5-6mm off.
After a 20 min test drive, I put my hand on the diff cover and coulnt keep my hand on it for more than a second.......
there arent any leaks, but that hi temp is scary!!!! I plan on rolling out to New Jersey this friday!!! So obviuosly this concerns me!

IronDuke666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't think it would heat up that much in a 20 minute drive. If you just had a gear job done, then yes, I've seen them get that warm that quick.

I've shot my D44 with an IR thermometer when I've been out rock crawling. After a hard day on the trail in hot weather, mine was about 140~150 F. Quite a few others in the group were 20 F higher. I run synthetic fluid, they were running dino oil. Not real scientific but that is how it was.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
IronDuke666
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Stu, that sucker was HOT!!!! there wasnt a gear job involved, I think I shouldve marked the pinion shaft and the nut, not the yoke and 3rd member. I did use plain jane gear oil too....I think I will be driving the wifes Kia Sorrento to N.J just for the comfort factor.....
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think you have succeded in overcrushing the crush sleeve. it'll need to be replaced. Do not drive it like this, if you have overtorqued the pinion preload, you WILL destroy the bearings.

Too many folks seem to think that you can get the same torque by 'aligning' the nut again... wrong. You must reproduce the exact rotational torque to have the same preload on the bearings. (Accounting for drag of new seal, add about 3 inch pounds.) Yes, that requires the axles be pulled out of the diff.

Yup... gear stuff is more exacting than almost anything else on a Jeep.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
IronDuke666
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider
I think you have succeded in overcrushing the crush sleeve. it'll need to be replaced. Do not drive it like this, if you have overtorqued the pinion preload, you WILL destroy the bearings.

Too many folks seem to think that you can get the same torque by 'aligning' the nut again... wrong. You must reproduce the exact rotational torque to have the same preload on the bearings. (Accounting for drag of new seal, add about 3 inch pounds.) Yes, that requires the axles be pulled out of the diff.

Yup... gear stuff is more exacting than almost anything else on a Jeep.
I'm pretty sure I over crushed the sleeve... after I get back from vacation I am going to remove the carrier and check the bearings for any discoloring and if every thing seems fine I will just use a new crush sleeve retorq it down to spec..... I did drive it already I just hope I didnnt eff anything up (yet)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.