Rear end noises... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear end noises...

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
cwdrlove
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rear end noises...

I'll try to be as succinct as possible, but this is a little drawn out.

3-weeks ago, I went from stock '02 TJ with 30/9.50's with a little DW at 50-60MPH, that I attributed to trail alignment after breaking my tie rod, but otherwise all was good.

Several months back I got used 4" Pro Comp springs and shocks from a buddy of mine. Then I got a smokin' deal on a set of 33/12.50 mud tires on some 15X10's. So in went the springs and shocks and on went the wheels and tires and OMG what a mess! After a good driveway alignment, most of the DW is gone, but it comes and goes around 40mph now.

Background over, I noticed pulling out of my neighborhood, uphill to the right, I was hearing 1-3 clunks when letting out the clutch, coming from the right rear. It would occasionally happen other places around town, but always when turning right. It seemed to go away, so I dismissed it. Then a few evenings ago, after a nice drive, I turned down my street, turned down the stereo, and heard a new noise. For lack of a better description, it sounded similar to peeling a sticker off of something. It repeated as though it was coming from a specific place on something rotating, tire, wheel, drum, axle, etc. Being late I didn't look too hard, but couldn't find anything looking out of the ordinary. Then this morning, it seems the sound has changed to a pop from the right rear, at the same interval as the previous sound. Thoughts? D35 dying?

Unread 08-19-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the right drum and see if everything is where it should be. If ok then pull the diff cover and have a look there.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

so you got springs and shocks, but did you get a rear track bar bracket? Or longer sway bars? Or anything else other than just the coils and shocks? Could contribute to the problem, but I can't be sure.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Lynch_6913
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have had this problem for a long time on my rear driver side after everything is warmed up I will get a big grinding popping noise from my driver rear axle area when I turn right or left as if the spider gears are acting up??? So if u find an anwser I'm all ears
Lynch_6913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch_6913 View Post
I have had this problem for a long time on my rear driver side after everything is warmed up I will get a big grinding popping noise from my driver rear axle area when I turn right or left as if the spider gears are acting up??? So if u find an anwser I'm all ears
I get that (most likely the) same popping noise from my rear axle. I plan on putting in new shafts assuming it might be the bearings...
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
cwdrlove
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
so you got springs and shocks, but did you get a rear track bar bracket? Or longer sway bars? Or anything else other than just the coils and shocks? Could contribute to the problem, but I can't be sure.
Right you are, the rear is kicked over to the right about 1"-1.5" with the stock track bar and location. I'll have a look, I may have to move that adjustable track bar to the top of the mod list.
Unread 08-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
cwdrlove
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I get that (most likely the) same popping noise from my rear axle. I plan on putting in new shafts assuming it might be the bearings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynch_6913 View Post
So you are both getting similar sounds out of D44's? In a way you are giving me hope. Hope that it's not the D35 dying!

Saturday, I guess I'll jack up the rear and play spin the tires! Start at the lug nuts and work my way inboard. I'll let you know what, if anything I find.

Feel free to add further suggestions. Thanks all!
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdrlove View Post
Right you are, the rear is kicked over to the right about 1"-1.5" with the stock track bar and location. I'll have a look, I may have to move that adjustable track bar to the top of the mod list.
Adj. track bars are always legit. Should get the bracket though, which raises the mounting point on the axle end to accomodate the 4" lift. I think a good one is only like $50
Unread 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdrlove View Post
Adj. track bars are always legit. Should get the bracket though, which raises the mounting point on the axle end to accomodate the 4" lift. I think a good one is only like $50
Unread 08-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
b912
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'll leave the popping and sway bar stuff to the veterans and this is going to sound stupid, but your sticker noise at the same spot on rotation is most likely tar on your tire. My wife came home frantic not to long ago that something was wrong. Same noise, same description. She had went threw a freshly paved road, it was very hot out, and tar got on the rear tire. Tough to see on a black tire but kinda funny when I showed her.
b912 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
cwdrlove
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing to report. I ran a couple of errands Saturday morning, and not a sound from the rear of my Jeep. Friday night, sticky, squeak, bonk...Saturday, Sunday, and Today, nada. 100 miles and not a sound. Typical of my cars, they have all been possessed!

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'm sorry I don't have any answers to pass along.
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

man... my rear axle snapped and stopped working! It will only go in 4LO. When Idling in drive in RWD the rear axle grinds and pops and snaps, but does not move, even with the throttle. I wish I knew what was going on...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.