Rear drum issue... wearing weird. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear drum issue... wearing weird.

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #1
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rear drum issue... wearing weird.

I dont have any pictures; first of all, so I will describe whats happened.

I replaced the drums and shoes at the same time; with the hardware as well on my 02 TJ sport, with the Dana 44 rear end.

Ive had some squealing; which I determined was the passenger side rear drum, so Ive pulled it off, and inspected it... seemed fine. I do have the E brake set properly as well, before anyone mentions that.

I pulled the drum off again tonight (because the squealing is driving me insane) and I see that the shoes have a 'bump' down the entire length of them, and the drum has a 'groove' all around it, where the shoes' 'bump' has been wearing it down.

Now, I am not sure what to do. The brakes are still fine (still not excessively worn) but that groove and bump have me concerned. They were NOT there when the new parts were installed; or on the old shoes and drums. The new driver's side is perfectly fine; smooth and even wear.

I guess I am wondering if the squeal is a result or cause of the odd wear; and if I could 'fix' this cheaply. Worst case scenario, I replace the shoes and the drum (I DO have another set of shoes; Id need to buy a new drum though), but Id rather save those for the next time I need to do brakes.

EDIT: The brake squealing IS coming from that drum. I took off the drum and shoe; there was no squealing with the vehicle in the air, in 4wd and in gear. As soon as I put the drum back on; then the squeal started again.

So, is there anyway to quiet it down? The shoes/drum are literally a few months old...

Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you adjust them properly?
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Did you adjust them properly?
I was sure I did. I spent a lot of time setting them; and had my father help me out.
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well I showed my dad the wear today... he figures its odd; but probably because there was a rock or some debris in there.

The squealing is from them being set too tight, he figures (I guess when we set them, we had them too tight). Hes getting old; so maybe he forgot how to properly set them.
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
Well I showed my dad the wear today... he figures its odd; but probably because there was a rock or some debris in there.

The squealing is from them being set too tight, he figures (I guess when we set them, we had them too tight). Hes getting old; so maybe he forgot how to properly set them.
Blame it on good ol dad.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Blame it on good ol dad.
He likes to take over on jobs... I just watch when he comes in.

Anyways, the actual problem was that the self adjuster came off and was rubbing the bottom of the drum. We fixed it and it should be good now (after taking off the drum a few times; its finally fixed hopefully haha).

I guess its a simple mistake that we both made since neither of us noticed it in the many times weve inspected it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.