Rear drum to disc brake swap!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear drum to disc brake swap!!!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rear drum to disc brake swap!!!

Well one of the items on my next to do list is to swap my rear drum brakes to discs!!!

Any writeups on this??? What are the required parts???

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
rocko-n-miss
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've done a little bit of research on this myself, But I'm also looking at swapping my rear to an 8.8 from an explorer, 97 or later comes with disc already, the proportioning valve from the Rubicon will work just fine for this, then your looking at break lines, I haven't got in to it enough yet to tell you if you could grab the brake assy from the 8.8 and make it work??? not sure. By the end of summer I should be starting my build thread and it will be a part of it, don't know how long your time frame is, but by the end of next month I'll be one happy man in my garage, with parts spread every where! Best of luck to ya!

2003 TJ, 1" body, 33X12.5 Swamper IROK's, Rampage top,
rocko-n-miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:36 AM   #3
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko-n-miss View Post
I've done a little bit of research on this myself, But I'm also looking at swapping my rear to an 8.8 from an explorer, 97 or later comes with disc already, the proportioning valve from the Rubicon will work just fine for this, then your looking at break lines, I haven't got in to it enough yet to tell you if you could grab the brake assy from the 8.8 and make it work??? not sure. By the end of summer I should be starting my build thread and it will be a part of it, don't know how long your time frame is, but by the end of next month I'll be one happy man in my garage, with parts spread every where! Best of luck to ya!
I was planning on pulling the rear discs off an '03+ from the a junkyard... I don't think it would be that hard to swap then. But I need to know what should I be replacing.

Oh and on the subject of you working on your build... Another difference between there and here!!! You wheel in the summer and work on your cars during winter... We do (or have to do) the exact opposite here.
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
gixxerphil
2002 TJ Wrangler 

check this site
Disc Brake Conversion - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
can you get a good pic of your muff set up ?
gixxerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #5
rocko-n-miss
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
I was planning on pulling the rear discs off an '03+ from the a junkyard... I don't think it would be that hard to swap then. But I need to know what should I be replacing.

Oh and on the subject of you working on your build... Another difference between there and here!!! You wheel in the summer and work on your cars during winter... We do (or have to do) the exact opposite here.
Aww just saw your location! I do both, it just happens that this is when I'm going to have sometime to work on it, one of my jobs is Marine Salvage, we do alot of work in the Gulf of Mexico, there is a ton of down time in the winter due to un favorable conditions! Hard for a diver to do in water decompression while the vessels is bobbing 10-15 feet due to swells, lol!

2003 TJ, 1" body, 33X12.5 Swamper IROK's, Rampage top,
rocko-n-miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

i got my disc brakes from a zj. i picked up a whole rearend for 250 from a local junkyard and swapped everything over.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drum brake , rear , disc brake , swap , tj , wrangler , write-up , write up

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.