Rear driveshaft snapped - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear driveshaft snapped

Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 12-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your help everyone! You're all so nice! Merry Christmas!

wildwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #32
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Okay! So I've been running numbers and trying to find the right solution to fix this...

So far I have basically two options:

A) Install SYE, with new driveshaft and necessary (right??) adjustable rear upper arms. I would then need an adjustable rear trackbar or relocator. That totals abot $800 to $900. Ouch.

B) New main shaft. I have had some fine folks on here throw me offers, which are very reasonable. However, I have a harmonic balancer on my broken shaft. I assume I would need to replace that right? Can I reuse the old one? how do I get it off? Does it press onto the new mainshaft or is it simply held there by friction? Do I need a new tailhousing extension as well? It does not appear that there was one... the harmonic balancer looks like it just buts up against the output seal. There are two different spline counts on the two different NP231's, right?

And then there's this: NO harmonic balancer, but is also from 2001.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/3389863665.html

Last edited by wildwapiti; 12-12-2012 at 10:33 AM..
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #33
Spyder05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

assuming your lift was installed properly then you should already have the rear track bar bracket...which if you dont have the bracket that could be part of the issue cause your rear axle won't be centered. id spend the money for the sye cause it gives you the best option/upgrade.
07 SRT 8 grand
Spyder05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #34
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I too would go the SYE route, it opens up the window for a tummy tuck in the future (careful how you word that with your woman she might take it wrong).
If you lived north of the border I would ship my old one to you for no cost other than shipping. Since you are in the states you can probably get it cheaper.
Unread 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #35
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder05 View Post
assuming your lift was installed properly then you should already have the rear track bar bracket...which if you dont have the bracket that could be part of the issue cause your rear axle won't be centered. id spend the money for the sye cause it gives you the best option/upgrade.
Doesn't appear to have a relocation bracket... but at $800-900 for the SYE items, that $50 is the least of my worries haha. I don't think we plan on lifting anymore, but you never know... I would love to do the SYE upgrade, but we just need it to be drivable for right now. How does that t-case on craigslist look? Why would mine have a harmonic balancer and that one not, from the same year TJ?
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards View Post
I too would go the SYE route, it opens up the window for a tummy tuck in the future (careful how you word that with your woman she might take it wrong).
If you lived north of the border I would ship my old one to you for no cost other than shipping. Since you are in the states you can probably get it cheaper.
I appreciate the thought! If we do go SYE I'm looking at a $400 kit which includes driveshaft from Tatton (Teraflex) and then probably currie or JKS rear arms. That would be 600-700. Sounds about right?
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
PyroXian
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'll 2nd or 3rd the suggestion to do the SYE if it's even remotely possible - at 3.5" of lift anything else is a bandaid. The JKS arms are a very bad design, pivoting only in one plane and putting all of the front/rear deflection into the rubber bushings. Go Currie or Currie/Savvy.
PyroXian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #38
UnlimitedMatt
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If the guy with the CL transfer case would throw in the driveshaft, you could bolt it right up and be on the road for $250. It would be a downgrade since that transfer case has a slip yoke, but it is a cheap option.

I think you would need to verify that the guy on CL had the same transmission as you to ensure it bolts right up.

The biggest issuse doing this is that it may reintroduce drive line vibrations since your Jeep is lifted. Just giving you options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwapiti View Post
Okay! So I've been running numbers and trying to find the right solution to fix this...

So far I have basically two options:

A) Install SYE, with new driveshaft and necessary (right??) adjustable rear upper arms. I would then need an adjustable rear trackbar or relocator. That totals abot $800 to $900. Ouch.

B) New main shaft. I have had some fine folks on here throw me offers, which are very reasonable. However, I have a harmonic balancer on my broken shaft. I assume I would need to replace that right? Can I reuse the old one? how do I get it off? Does it press onto the new mainshaft or is it simply held there by friction? Do I need a new tailhousing extension as well? It does not appear that there was one... the harmonic balancer looks like it just buts up against the output seal. There are two different spline counts on the two different NP231's, right?

And then there's this: NO harmonic balancer, but is also from 2001.

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/pts/3389863665.html
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, Sahara Edition #556, Colorado Jeep Club Member #556
Rusty, if you are reading this, I am still waiting for my $249 refund from 06/2010. Pm me for my address to send the check. Thanks!
UnlimitedMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #39
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedMatt View Post
If the guy with the CL transfer case would throw in the driveshaft, you could bolt it right up and be on the road for $250. It would be a downgrade since that transfer case has a slip yoke, but it is a cheap option.

I think you would need to verify that the guy on CL had the same transmission as you to ensure it bolts right up.

The biggest issuse doing this is that it may reintroduce drive line vibrations since your Jeep is lifted. Just giving you options.
Doesn't mine have a slip yoke as well? and I don't believe he has the driveshaft anymore, but there is a cheap rear driveshaft from a YJ. I can't find any threads that state whether or not it will fit...

Last edited by wildwapiti; 12-12-2012 at 12:01 PM..
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Doesn't mine have a slip yoke as well? and I don't believe he has the driveshaft anymore, but there is a cheap rear driveshaft from a YJ. I can't find any threads that state whether or not it will fit...
Yes you had a slip yoke already. I'm not sure where people are getting that you don't. That harmonic balancer should just press off.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #41
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Yes you had a slip yoke already. I'm not sure where people are getting that you don't. That harmonic balancer should just press off.
Haha yea.. If i didn't have the slip yoke, I would have less of a problem! I am probably going to go the new t-case route. Should I get the harmonic balancer pressed onto the new output shaft? I should probably get the old driveshaft balanced to make sure it's not bogus, right? Or should I just spring for a new (junkyard) shaft?
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #42
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you're in fort collins have you considered talking to the people at 4x4offroad?

Their site is www.4x4offroadnetwork.com

They should have the parts you need and when I ran their online deal for a rear driveshaft it looks like they have several that may work. They might also have a SYE kit around there somewhere they'd do a package deal on.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #43
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha yea.. If i didn't have the slip yoke, I would have less of a problem! I am probably going to go the new t-case route. Should I get the harmonic balancer pressed onto the new output shaft? I should probably get the old driveshaft balanced to make sure it's not bogus, right? Or should I just spring for a new (junkyard) shaft?
Try here...

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forum...4x4-Discussion
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #44
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
Since you're in fort collins have you considered talking to the people at 4x4offroad?

Their site is www.4x4offroadnetwork.com

They should have the parts you need and when I ran their online deal for a rear driveshaft it looks like they have several that may work. They might also have a SYE kit around there somewhere they'd do a package deal on.
I had no idea they had a website... I'm in there often. I haven't talked to them yet, but last time I needed t-case parts, they told me they would only sell whole t-cases (so I couldn't just get the output shaft). I was planning on heading there tomorrow and talking to them. Finals week has had me crazy. Thanks!
Unread 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #45
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE!

So a fine gentleman on this forum shipped me a new (to me) output shaft. Got the case pulled apart and shaft reinstalled. Should I get the harmonic balancer pressed onto the new shaft (I am assuming they are pressed on...)? I will be getting the rear driveshaft rebalanced.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.