Rear driveshaft snapped - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rear driveshaft snapped

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #16
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwapiti View Post
I bought the vehicle lifted, so I guess there's no way of telling if the vibes were due to the lift or not (although what else would they be from?), but no they were not excessive. And there was not an increase in them recently.
How bout this, when you accelerate, did you ever feel any vibrations in the *** of your seat? if so, those are usually driveline related.

Though, I don't see how vibes would snap a main shaft like that. Are those old u joints seized up?

Unread 12-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #17
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
How bout this, when you accelerate, did you ever feel any vibrations in the *** of your seat? if so, those are usually driveline related.

Though, I don't see how vibes would snap a main shaft like that. Are those old u joints seized up?
Sheesh, how many ways can I answer this? Haha... There were some driveline vibes, but I wouldn't call them excessive. Not nearly as bad as my lifted WJ. And there were more vibes in the floorboard than the seat.

The ujoints seem to swivel pretty freely. The rear most set on the diff. end are a little sticky, and obviously damaged from being ripped out of their straps, so tough to tell if that is causal or due to the driveshaft shedding.
wildwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwapiti View Post
Sheesh, how many ways can I answer this? Haha... There were some driveline vibes, but I wouldn't call them excessive. Not nearly as bad as my lifted WJ. And there were more vibes in the floorboard than the seat.

The ujoints seem to swivel pretty freely. The rear most set on the diff. end are a little sticky, and obviously damaged from being ripped out of their straps, so tough to tell if that is causal or due to the driveshaft shedding.
hahah my bad man. You said you weren't sure so I was just trying to make sure so you can rule that out. Minor vibes shouldn't do that. That's ****ing weird.
Unread 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
hahah my bad man. You said you weren't sure so I was just trying to make sure so you can rule that out. Minor vibes shouldn't do that. That's ****ing weird.
Yessir. I was thinking maybe the straps on the diff. end loosened up and that end of the DS fell out and subsequently torqued the shaft out, but I think the chicken came before the egg. There wasn't a whole lot of banging or clanging as you'd think there'd be in the former scenario.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So my options are replace t-case or install SYE and get a new driveshaft? It looks like I could replace the mainshaft itself, but they are as much as a used t-case!
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #21
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Or get a used main shaft...
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Or get a used main shaft...
yea true... been looking!
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #23
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

and any idea what the giant metal disk is in the picture? I guess a "balancer"? Does the main shaft come out of it or is it pressed in? I assume pressed, because it's not budging... Where would I find a new one of those? I also don't have a housing extension which is pictured in most NP231 pictures... What's the deal?
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Driveline vibes excessive or otherwise are bad. If they exist, they remove your ability to diagnose when your u-joints are dying, about to die or are dead. They also remove your ability to tell when something is wrong other than a dying u-joint like a driveshaft out of balance, improper pinion angle, loose trans mount, or a myriad of other issues that can lead to catastrophic failures like this one.

If all that happened is what you show which is a busted mainshaft in the t-case, consider yourself very lucky. Typically the shaft swinging around takes out the exhaust, fuel and brake lines, fuel pump wiring, and puts a few holes in the tub for good measure.

I will tell you right now that the chances of you being able to re-use that driveshaft are about 1 in 500. They don't respond very well to being slammed against anything and will either bend or be out of balance.

You need to take a much closer look at stuff and see if anything else is damaged.

At the minimum, you are going to need a new driveshaft and new tailshaft for the t-case and I'll be very surprised if the tailcone and bearing are still good although chances are good they could be.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #25
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've had it happen to me before!
A friend and I were test driving an '04 when he shifted into third and the ds flew out. We picked up all of the broken parts, drove a little way in front wheel drive, then parked it and waited for the dealership to come tow it. Their explanation was that they had replaced the rear pinion bearing, and used the wrong sized bolts the reattach the ujoint straps, hence, the rear came loose, spun a few times, beat four holes in the muffler, then snapped off of the output shaft on the tcase. Quite an interesting test drive if you ask me... and no, neither of us bought that jeep.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #26
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Driveline vibes excessive or otherwise are bad. If they exist, they remove your ability to diagnose when your u-joints are dying, about to die or are dead. They also remove your ability to tell when something is wrong other than a dying u-joint like a driveshaft out of balance, improper pinion angle, loose trans mount, or a myriad of other issues that can lead to catastrophic failures like this one.

If all that happened is what you show which is a busted mainshaft in the t-case, consider yourself very lucky. Typically the shaft swinging around takes out the exhaust, fuel and brake lines, fuel pump wiring, and puts a few holes in the tub for good measure.

I will tell you right now that the chances of you being able to re-use that driveshaft are about 1 in 500. They don't respond very well to being slammed against anything and will either bend or be out of balance.

You need to take a much closer look at stuff and see if anything else is damaged.

At the minimum, you are going to need a new driveshaft and new tailshaft for the t-case and I'll be very surprised if the tailcone and bearing are still good although chances are good they could be.
All of this, and not because it's Blaine, because I was stupid enough to run with vibes for so long. Pretty soon I'll have to replace my rear pinion bearing (which isn't hard to do, just could have been easily prevented) and probably the rear output bearing on the Tcase. It still baffles me that I have vibes like that on such a low lift. Regardless, I'll be buying an SYE and those new bearings this Christmas. I've been fortunate enough to catch u joints before they die, I'm just tired of worrying about it. Should have listened 3 years ago, but I was like every other teenager that thought they had the world figured out
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #27
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good info! It's actually my girlfriends TJ (and this is her account), but she insists no driveline vibes, and I cannot recall any while driving it myself (the few times I did). The driveshaft did smack the muffler one good time, but that is all the damage that I can tell. Seem like it spun once and then fell right out. So the best and or/ cheapest route would be new mainshaft, and then either a new driveshaft, or an SYE with a new driveshaft? Or possible a new (used) Tcase and a new driveshaft. Is there a way to see if the driveshaft is still balanced? It is pretty beefy and looks straight to my dumb eyes.
Unread 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM   #28
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
I've had it happen to me before!
A friend and I were test driving an '04 when he shifted into third and the ds flew out. We picked up all of the broken parts, drove a little way in front wheel drive, then parked it and waited for the dealership to come tow it. Their explanation was that they had replaced the rear pinion bearing, and used the wrong sized bolts the reattach the ujoint straps, hence, the rear came loose, spun a few times, beat four holes in the muffler, then snapped off of the output shaft on the tcase. Quite an interesting test drive if you ask me... and no, neither of us bought that jeep.
HAHA! WOW! We replaced the rear pinion bearing earlier in the summer. Thought we torqued the strap bolts down nice and snug, but they look loose. The straps are not ripped. Maybe a whoops...

Last edited by wildwapiti; 12-11-2012 at 08:00 PM..
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #29
wildwapiti
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Good info! It's actually my girlfriends TJ (and this is her account), but she insists no driveline vibes, and I cannot recall any while driving it myself (the few times I did). The driveshaft did smack the muffler one good time, but that is all the damage that I can tell. Seem like it spun once and then fell right out. So the best and or/ cheapest route would be new mainshaft, and then either a new driveshaft, or an SYE with a new driveshaft? Or possible a new (used) Tcase and a new driveshaft. Is there a way to see if the driveshaft is still balanced? It is pretty beefy and looks straight to my dumb eyes.
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is that it let go at the rear axle first. made one good flip and broke off at the t-case.

Other then that I have nothing to add that hasnt already been posted...

I also have a stock tail shaft and stock tail housing that I can send you if needed. Send me a PM if you need them...Good Luck and let us know what you find when you dig in a little further.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.